Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Another reason to never live at a place with an HOA. I couldnt imagine someone telling me I cant plant a certain plant. What an abuse of power. Some people need a hobby I suppose. Glad I live on a 30 acre spread where I have no neighbors!
Always pros and cons. For me the last thing I want is to maintain 30 acres. I'm at the other end of the spectrum. A patio home on a 50 x 100 ft lot. The golf course is my backyard, but I don't have to maintain it.

I'm sure many don't care for small lots with neighbors close by, but it works for me. Very quite neighborhood believe it or not.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

My condo HOA only has 17 units, and on any given day, it's likely that only half will be occupied. Several are snowbirds, several are retired and love to travel and take long cruises, one is a major league baseball player who only uses it during home games. I had no problem letting them put me on the board, since running this place is a piece of cake.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Well, I must say I've never seen such a unanimity of response on any topic here. I'm pretty sure some posters come to this site like the Monty Python argument clinic, but not this time. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated is the basic premise. I'm assuming you all have much more experience with HOAs than I do, so DW and I have decided to go with the recommendations here. We're probably going to sell the place within the next 5 years after DD and family move on to a single family home. Most of the other plants in the neighborhood are looking pretty sick and crappy, so our new ones (of the same inappropriate species) will be still looking somewhat healthy by the time we put it on the market. Hopefully that will help it sell faster.

I'm actually president of our HOA (13 houses) in FL, but all we do is have a shared irrigation system and lawn service. My only duties are signing checks (with the treasurer), calling the annual meeting to order, and cooking the burgers at our annual get together. Other than that, paint your house pink and purple and put a swimming pool in the living room. Fine by us. That's the kind of HOA I appreciate.

So, we're going to replant the ugly Euonymus, although we'll put them in a few feet further from the foundation, and maybe accidently leave one out. I guess we'll have to wait for spring to find any white azaleas. No reputable garden center would be selling them in July around here. I'll finish putting my mini irrigation system in, so the poor things have at least a slight chance of survival. And hopefully the Nazis will find something else to do. Maybe they could chase people around and make them pick up their dog poop.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Seeing how many scofflaws we already have with an HOA, I would not be able to live here without it.
the shoveling snow thing really got to me, but there are LOTS of people here that don't do it within 24 hours (or ever)

why do people need to be walking on the sidewalk when there is ice/snow on the ground? get on a damn treadmill or something

the first time some lady was walking in 6" of snow on my sidewalk and looking at me as I pulled in at 6pm after a long day at w8rk up my 30 degree driveway digging in ruts with my studded tires. irritating[/rant]
Old 07-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm glad I do have an HOA. Good for keeping the riff raff at bay.
Same here. There's a guy two houses up who has had a dead car in his driveway for over a year, one tire is flat and the tags are expired, clearly a violation. The HOA is going to have to sue this fool to get rid of the car.

He could put it in the two-car garage and then no one would care, but he'd have to clear out all the junk first.

Sooner or later, he'll pay for all of it because the HOA will put a lien on the house for all the expenses. Good!
Old 07-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Another reason to never live at a place with an HOA. I couldnt imagine someone telling me I cant plant a certain plant. What an abuse of power. Some people need a hobby I suppose. Glad I live on a 30 acre spread where I have no neighbors!

the funny thing is there is just as many govt bodies that can do the same.. I see fights between the city and land owners all the time.. it all depends on the rules of where you live. but I've seen gardens ripped out of people front yards as breaking ordinance, I've seen native flowers mowed down by city workers as deemed "weeds" that you let grow more than 5 inches tall. Its just not as simple as don't live in an HOA anymore.

As for the OP, I do believe what you ripped out was considered foundation plantings and thus the issue. I don't see a way around it but re-planting what was removed with like kind. It should be better worded, my HOA basically states any perennial, shrub, tree, grass or shape/dimension of beds that is altered must be pre-approved. Owners are only allowed to add annuals without pre-approval. The list is very long in regards to garden approval and lawn ornaments, etc..but looking around the neighborhood i got a good sense of what was and wasn't permissible prior to buying.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
the shoveling snow thing really got to me, but there are LOTS of people here that don't do it within 24 hours (or ever)

why do people need to be walking on the sidewalk when there is ice/snow on the ground? get on a damn treadmill or something

[/rant]
Do you not have kids that need to walk to school or to the school bus stop? Thats why we had the shoveling rule so kids weren't in the streets .
Old 07-20-2016, 02:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Do you not have kids that need to walk to school or to the school bus stop? Thats why we had the shoveling rule so kids weren't in the streets .
they get driven to school in bad weather
Old 07-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

We shovel for the mail carrier who comes to our door and the people who walk on the sidewalks (we live in the center of a village and there is a lot of pedestrian traffic). We did it before work and after when we still had work schedules. We shovel the public sidewalk before we shovel our driveway. We would do it with or without a municipal requirement. Jeez I hate snow. And I have almost broken an ankle trying to walk into town on snow that's melted and refrozen in to ruts on sidewalks that never see a shovel.

OP should be glad not to have to do any more than the HOA allows re planting. DD lives in an HOA development and major plantings (hedges and ornamentals) are paid for out of their HOA fees--I would think OP's HOA's fees should cover those too? Didn't you know there was an HOA when you bought the unit?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
they get driven to school in bad weather
They close the schools around here if there's even a hint of snow or ice. Or heat. Or heavy wind and rain.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Where I lived the city was responsible for clearing the sidewalks of snow.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:15 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

HOA's are needed when people share common ownership of property. If one does not want to be part of an HOA don't buy a home with common ownership. If one can live with wining a few and losing a few, the HOA should be fine. An HOA is a tool to deal with common ownership. How good or bad it is, depends on the board members and the owners.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
HOA's are needed when people share common ownership of property. If one does not want to be part of an HOA don't buy a home with common ownership.
There are subdivisions where nothing is owned in common yet nevertheless the properties are 'deed restricted', with the deed restrictions enforced by a HOA.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 AM   #54

I'm looking forward to an HOA, sheriff's office doesn't have time to deal with my ignorant neighbors dog and I don't want to shoot it.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if there are any new developments that lack HOA. When we were looking at possibly moving out of state, we looked at numerous SFH developments on 1 acre or more - and every one had an HOA.

It's useless to fight the HOA unless you can prove they made a mistake. In questions of degree or interpretation, they will prevail.

The only time we "won" was when the HOA hounded us to remove a 6-foot-long scrap of "party fence" between our townhouse and the one next door, which they said had been installed without permission (it was there when we bought the home, and we were Owner No. 4).

After months of threatening letters, the HOA backed off after I managed to dig up documents proving that the original developer had installed the 6-foot fences; our home, it seemed, was the only one where someone hadn't eventually extended the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
HOA's are needed when people share common ownership of property. If one does not want to be part of an HOA don't buy a home with common ownership. If one can live with wining a few and losing a few, the HOA should be fine. An HOA is a tool to deal with common ownership. How good or bad it is, depends on the board members and the owners.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:35 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Then make sure that the HOA docs cover ignorant neighbors with nuisance animals in great detail. Otherwise, the HOA will smugly inform you that it is a matter "between you and your neighbor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I'm looking forward to an HOA, sheriff's office doesn't have time to deal with my ignorant neighbors dog and I don't want to shoot it.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:58 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

What we've seen in our neighborhood is that some of the bylaws are written with enough wiggleroom that you're at the mercy of the personal taste of whoever sits on the board at any given time. The issue is that ultimately these are supposed to protect property values. We all know that extreme things can adversely affect property values, but there's a lot of grey area before you get to extreme. My wife was on our board for a couple of years - as pointed out by others, a thankless job indeed.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wonder if there are any new developments that lack HOA. When we were looking at possibly moving out of state, we looked at numerous SFH developments on 1 acre or more - and every one had an HOA.
Developments without a HOA are rare in this area. Our rural subdivision (110 lots ranging in size between 3 and 5 acres ) has a HOA while the subdivision next to us, with over 700 lots of similar size, has deed restrictions but no HOA. If someone in that subdivision violates the restrictions it is up to the offended lot owner(s) to take legal action to gain compliance.

I'm not a big fan of HOAs but I was glad we had one when someone bought the lot near the subdivision entrance and erected a party pavilion. It was 1/2 mile from us but on Friday and Saturday nights we could hear the music even with our doors and windows closed. The HOA butted heads with the lot owner and ended up winning a lawsuit to force him to tear it down.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #59

I love my party tent - can drink beer on the patio without the sun or rain beating down
Old 07-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #60

Quote:

the first time some lady was walking in 6" of snow on my sidewalk and looking at me as I pulled in at 6pm after a long day at w8rk up my 30 degree driveway digging in ruts with my studded tires. irritating[/rant]
When I lived in suburban Philly we had that law. Sure it was sometimes a hassle but
- we lived within 4 blocks of a SEPTA light rail station - so many neighbors took the train into center city to go to work.
- we had a Catholic elementary school 2 blocks away and most kids walked to school.
- we had a large Catholic high school 5 blocks away in the other direction and many kids walked to school.
- our public elementary was in yet another direction about 4 blocks away, again most kids in the immediate area walked. (Too close to qualify for school bus service.)
- Postal workers delivered mail to our doors - so not just the sidewalk needed shoveling - so did the front walk to the door.

Despite the fact that I worked full time and didn't have a husband or kid I could pawn the job off onto - I shoveled before work, after work, etc, as needed. It was the appropriate thing to do.

One neighbor down the street didn't shovel - he lived on a corner and had 2 teenage, able body, teens. My next door neighbor went on a campaign to report him every time - because his house was on the route to the train station. He started randomly shoveling. I never figured out why he didn't put his kids out shovelling.