Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I was writing from recollection of the training video. He narrates it. I had one too many people in the car and his rehab was much shorter. In the video they show a lot of pictures of his injuries. He describes the peeling of his skin like peeling a banana. I totally agree that such cases should be decided in court and not on the evening news. I could not find the video either. It must only have been produced as a training aid. The video recreates the entire episode.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
I was writing from recollection of the training video. He narrates it. I had one too many people in the car and his rehab was much shorter. In the video they show a lot of pictures of his injuries. He describes the peeling of his skin like peeling a banana. I totally agree that such cases should be decided in court and not on the evening news. I could not find the video either. It must only have been produced as a training aid. The video recreates the entire episode.
Looking at the example you gave... and not knowing any more... I would not have a single problem with him shooting the driver as IMO it was self defense... however, we do not KNOW if the driver knew about the guy or not... hearing various accounts of drunk people they do not know what is happening around them at times... there was no mention of if the gun was pointed at the officer or not... again, we have the word of the officer that is what happened, not the dead people... and we do know that officers can either lie, or have a different perspective of what is happening...

SO, say you had been drinking with a few friends... all were sloppy drunk... and you were barely able to do anything... you are in the back seat and a police officer does what you say... and the driver takes off... you might not know what is happening or just can not beleive what is happening to say anything.. maybe you are passing out yourself... and then the bozo next to you hands you a gun... you don't know what it is as you are drunk.. but are looking at it trying to make a decision in your stupor... and then you are dead.. shot in the back of the head... you did not commit any crime that deserved that outcome, but dead you are...

I do not envy the role the police have.... I could not do it... and I am willing to give the police the benefit of the doubt in a number of situations... but when there is video from beginning to end of the incident...

Old 04-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I do not envy the role the police have.... I could not do it... and I am willing to give the police the benefit of the doubt in a number of situations... but when there is video from beginning to end of the incident...
Agreed. I think the benefit of any reasonable doubt should go to the officer, but yeah, there are situations where there is really not a reasonable doubt. And when that happens, I don't think they should hide behind the badge.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

I understand a cop has a tough job and they get jaded and come to see the worst in everyone. It's the nature of the beast. But still, the police are supposed to protect and serve. I think that can mean to help or have compassion or at least seem human. This officer did not show any of those qualities. My opinion is that over time many officers begin to think of their job as one of "busting people" and forget the part about serving the people.

And I know there are some good ones out there and they are the ones with my respect.

In this episode, I understand the cop didn't know what he was dealing with from the get go. But a vehicle heading into a hospital before even being pursued by the officer should be clue number one.

The vehicle had it's hazard lights flashing the entire time, not exactly something someone trying to avoid attention does. The vehicle stopped at the red light and made sure it was clear before continuing on to the hospital. Another clue.

Parking in front of the ER might be some kind of signal that that is where they meant to go.

Two women distraught and heading right into the ER could mean something. The driver and other passenger then explaining the whole deal might make all the other things add up.

But ok, you still think this is a problem (even though you didn't try to detain people leaving the vehicle and the scene.) You're only steps from verifying the story by going into the hospital. It really is right there in front of you. But ok, they're all on drugs and probably drove here to rob the place and they all have a good story they thought up to tell you.

Even if I look past all that, I still can't forgive the cop when the first nurse (or whoever off-screen) comes out and explains the dire situation and the cop just ignores and continues on. Then to top it all off a few minutes later another nurse comes out and says the MIL is dying right now and the driver needs to get up there ASAP and then this police officer says "I'm almost done" and continues to waste time finishing up writing his ticket and then has another power trip by trying to give a lecture to the driver about what to do next time a cop put his light on him. It's disgusting and the public should be outraged about the officers behavior in this case.

That cop should have let him run right up there and if hell bent on giving him the ticket, go in and give it to him when he's done writing it up. There is no reason that guy should have missed his MIL passing, plain and simple.

Should this officer have been fired? Not so sure. He should have been taken off the streets for a time and retrained at the very least. He definitely needed additional counseling. Perhaps though he could have become a better officer and learned from his terrible mistakes that night and taught others not to do as he did. Is the outcry by the public understandable. Certainly. Was resigning the right thing to do? I think so. He would have had no respect from the local populace after that encounter.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote