Pad, Netbook, or Laptop?

Lena's computer just has to hold on for a few more days.

View attachment 13298

The arrow points to a loose wire that's sticking out with it's insulation stripped.

Today the laptop dropped off the top of the entertainment center while she was printing something, and now the wireless connection is a little flaky. I've taped everything in place and told her not to move it.

I nominate this for some kind of award.

Don't forget to get the data off if you don't already have it backed up.

Good choice but if the existing laptop bit it while printing, it should be noted that iPad will only print to certain printers.

The printers have to be networked either connected to the router or maybe have Wifi of its own.

Good choice but if the existing laptop bit it while printing, it should be noted that iPad will only print to certain printers.

The printers have to be networked either connected to the router or maybe have Wifi of its own.

Uh oh.

Well you can't directly connect the iPad to a printer by cable.

I think a printer connected by USB to an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (wireless router) may work.

Printers, especially color ink jets, should be cheap, because the manufacturers charge a lot for the ink.

If you're printing text, a laser printer ends up being cheaper per page.

My nook Simple Touch just arrived yesterday. I was unable to register it using my home wifi. It would not take the password I had written down months ago. It's a Linksys wrtg54 (or something like that). In any event, I took it to work to finish the registration/set-up process and got a few free books from Barnes and Noble. Everything went smoothly. Not sure what is up with it failing to take the password at home. I started looking into MAC filtering, resetting the router, etc. But I just don't want to risk being without wireless for my laptop over Christmas break, so I'll likely not tamper with things right now. I've got plenty to read.

My nook Simple Touch just arrived yesterday. I was unable to register it using my home wifi. It would not take the password I had written down months ago. It's a Linksys wrtg54 (or something like that). In any event, I took it to work to finish the registration/set-up process and got a few free books from Barnes and Noble. Everything went smoothly. Not sure what is up with it failing to take the password at home. I started looking into MAC filtering, resetting the router, etc. But I just don't want to risk being without wireless for my laptop over Christmas break, so I'll likely not tamper with things right now. I've got plenty to read.
I was just looking at Lifehacker's WIFI guide and noticed this tidbit that could possibly be involved in some of the access problems reported in this thread:

"One thing to note is that some Wi-Fi cards (in your computers) will have trouble connecting to a WPA2-secured network via 802.11n when you don't support multiple WPA2 algorithms. If you find that you or visitors have difficulty connecting via 802.11n, be sure to set your WPA2 algorithms to both AES and TKIP. This is usually represented as "AES+TKIP" or something similar."

I've had the 8.9" Samsung Galaxy Tab for 2 months. I bought the WiFi only version and use my EVO 4G as my data connection. I'm very happy with it. Just large enough to type on comfortably and no larger. I would not consider an iPad... I'm too entrenched in Google products for that to make any sense at all.

I was just looking at Lifehacker's WIFI guide and noticed this tidbit that could possibly be involved in some of the access problems reported in this thread:

"One thing to note is that some Wi-Fi cards (in your computers) will have trouble connecting to a WPA2-secured network via 802.11n when you don't support multiple WPA2 algorithms. If you find that you or visitors have difficulty connecting via 802.11n, be sure to set your WPA2 algorithms to both AES and TKIP. This is usually represented as "AES+TKIP" or something similar."

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Her iPad 2 is under the tree.

Just got mine today. Lots to learn, but I'm really enjoying it! But explanade is right about printers. I have a state of the art Brother that's all set up for wireless, and the iPad will not print to it.

RE: printing from iPad

Here are the list of printers that work:

iOS: AirPrint 101

That's a stunningly short list, considering how many printer models there are. A wireless printer I recently purchased for a family member didn't make the list. Heck, the printer supports USB, Ethernet, Wi-Fi, works with mac linux, windows. Why can't an iPad talk to it?

I'm super impressed with what an iPad does and does well, but I'm afraid the limitations would drive me bonkers. I'll be waiting for something that supports ext memory cards and a reasonable set of ports and support for the things regular computers support (ex usb drives, ext CD/DVD readers/burners, scanners, printers, etc.). That will likely be an android device, someday.

But again, used within its limitations, it's an amazing piece of hardware with a lot going for it.

-ERD50

I heard there is a third-party app which supports more printers. I'd Google your printer model and iPad and see if there's a way.

Otherwise, printers are pretty cheap and almost disposable, like razors are compared to the blades where they make the money.

I heard there is a third-party app which supports more printers. I'd Google your printer model and iPad and see if there's a way.

Otherwise, printers are pretty cheap and almost disposable, like razors are compared to the blades where they make the money.

I bought an HP Photosmart E-printer when I got my iPad a few months ago. Used to print well from the iPad. Now it's at the disposable stage.

...I'm super impressed with what an iPad does and does well....

+1 - I was a witness in a court case last week. I read the first day's transcript (141 pages) on my iPad while I was waiting to testify on my second day. Plus review dozens of pdf exhibits. Plus email stuff back and forth with the office. Very functional for a small device.

I got to play with a Kindle Fire yesterday, and I tried out a Nook Color about a week ago. They are slick devices with a lot going for them. However, both are slightly less intuitive and slightly more glitchy (touch screen was less responsive mostly) than the iPad2. And while I could read a book on either, there is no comparison for reading a magazine or larger format. iPad apps are great too, many for free. I am very glad I have an iPad having seen the competitors.

That being said, the prices for the Kindle and Nook are incredible and they are more portable, as is often the case you get what you pay for. I don't use mine to read books very often, if I did, you can't beat the B&W Kindle with eInk IMO. YMMV

Last edited:
It will work but it isn't a wireless device. You will have to route your printing through the internet to the printers URL. If the Ipad 2 has an ethernet port you could print over the LAN, but I don't see a mention of wireless in that ad.

That is almost the price of a printer these days, isn't it?

Midpack,
Take a look at the HTC Evo View 4 g (without monthly contract) or the same unit without
monthly service called the HTC Envy. They normally sell for between $400 to $600. but you will be able to pick one up for about $229 come January. I bought the View without the contract on a one day sale for $229, and I can tell you it is spectacular. It is a 7" form factor, which I like the best and I have them all including the 10". The screen is spectacular, plays flash, Netflix, Hulu and just about anything you throw at it. It has good speakers, SD card slot, usb, Bluetooth, hdmi , and talk about responsive. Just read the reviews on them. I have several tablets and this blows them all away. It can read Kindle books, Barnes & Noble, Library books, and anything that's out there. You can subscribe to video and audio pod casts and download them to you SD card when you get around to it. It is a real pleasure to operate. And as I mentioned to you the screen resolution will blow you away.

Midpack,
Take a look at the HTC Evo View 4 g (without monthly contract) or the same unit without monthly service called the HTC Envy.
I'm good with my iPad2 (love it), but I am sure your suggestion may be helpful for those who haven't already bought a tablet/reader already...

Back
Top Bottom