Pad, Netbook, or Laptop?

The keyboard dock for the Transformer is optional. It's like $150-200 but it does increase battery life because it also has its own battery.

The original Transformer may be going down in price because Asus has just released Transformer Prime (though they're getting litigation over that name, which is trademarked for a cartoon character and toy).

There are complaints about the build quality being poor. The backlight on the LCD is bleeding through and Wifi is said to be broken.

One thing you're not going to get from these smaller companies is the service and support. Does ASUS have toll free customer support and all the service centers? Or its own stores where people will help you?

Well I took the plunge! I found a good online deal on the Asus Transformer ($470. for both tablet and dock) and decided it was a Christmas present to me :) I played with it for a long time at Best Buy yesterday and was strongly impressed. Can't wait to get it and "catch up" just a bit on technology. . .

Today she researched and ordered this from TigerDirect for $279:

Dell D630 Refurbished Notebook PC - Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2, 80GB HDD, 14.1" Display, DVD-ROM, Windows XP Professional 32-bit (J001-140402)

I think I have this exact laptop for work. Nice snappy little machine and relatively light weight. It is from a generation or two back in terms of processor, but is way more than adequate to handle routine tasks (internet surfing, HD movie/youtube watching, word processing, office tasks, etc).

Battery life on mine is near zero because the battery is 4+ years old, but I assume yours will have a replacement battery if it is a refurb. Less than 8 hrs battery life is probably the main downside for this machine.

To counter what Modhatter said re: screen resolution, I find the resolution and display to be great. It doesn't have super high resolution, but you are looking at a 14" screen, not a 24" monitor or 55" HDTV screen. More than adequate for casual users IMHO.

Re: the ipad - I used one a bit over Christmas. My mom received one from her employer and she uses it to (try to) surf on the web. My impressions were "neat toy" but I would never want one. It felt laggy and unresponsive when trying to quickly navigate on the web (like my phone). Dialog boxes and pop ups weren't rendered well on web sites (nothing fancy, all mainstream - cnn, walmart.com, bestbuy.com etc). Typing on it was easier than I expected, but only slightly better than swyping on my tiny phone screen. The kids did like playing some kind of game on it (so I see the appeal for six year olds!). The largish size makes it unwieldy for me as a portable device (won't fit in pocket or on belt). I have been playing a game on the desktop lately that is also available on ipad and android, and I'd like to try it on a tablet, but it likely wouldn't add much to the gameplay and the interface probably is more clunky than mouse/keyboard combo. Overall, cool toy but relatively useless for me and would be a 4th or 5th device in my line up (after the desktop, laptop, netbook, and phone in no particular order). Niches are already filled in my digital life! :) Add to that my inability to figure out or care enough to use itunes for anything and that seals its fate. Maybe someday I can get an android based laptop/netbook replacement that works.

Last edited:
Well, after being offline for almost two weeks due to travel, then a missing power supply, then a faulty modem, then a faulty surge protector, then a faulty replacement power adapter, I bought an iPad. It is amazing and after a few hours using it the attraction became apparent in a way media cannot describe. The user interface is quite amazing.

Well, after being offline for almost two weeks due to travel, then a missing power supply, then a faulty modem, then a faulty surge protector, then a faulty replacement power adapter, I bought an iPad. It is amazing and after a few hours using it the attraction became apparent in a way media cannot describe. The user interface is quite amazing.
That was my reaction too, it's been far more satisfying to use than I ever imagined. Never planned to buy one, now I wouldn't go without...YMMV

Wonderful! Sorry about all the equipment problems, but your assessment of the iPad is encouraging to hear. I guess I will have to break down and try one soon, maybe next week after I close the book on my 2011 expenditures. I hope I will feel that attraction too once I get it.

I am assuming/hoping that if I get one that is wi-fi only and connect at home only (via my home wi-fi only), there will be no need for monthly fees or for Verizon to even know that I have one.

Good thing about iPad is that you only pay for 3G data for the months you decide to buy it. So you can pay $15 for 1 month of access on AT&T (not sure if Verizon has the exact same pricing) and that could cover you for a week away from home say.

Then several months later, you might find you're going to be away from home again and instead of paying $10-20 or more that hotels can charge for Wifi (which is often slow), you can buy another month of access (assuming you get a good signal in the hotel.

As for iPad next year, the rumors seem to be heating up, with suggestions iPad3 will be here sooner than later. One rumor is the anniversary of Steve Jobs' birthday in late February.

Wonderful! Sorry about all the equipment problems, but your assessment of the iPad is encouraging to hear. I guess I will have to break down and try one soon, maybe next week after I close the book on my 2011 expenditures. I hope I will feel that attraction too once I get it.

I am assuming/hoping that if I get one that is wi-fi only and connect at home only (via my home wi-fi only), there will be no need for monthly fees or for Verizon to even know that I have one.

Correct.

I think you should splurge, W2R. It will make your ER even more enjoyable!

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R

Congratulations! It is fun, isn't it? :dance:

Have you tried Trivial Pursuit? Scrabble? The graphics are great.

I now have my library books on Overdrive and my Amazon Kindle purchases on Kindle for iPad, and have rented and bought a few movies. I've watched an old favourite (Out of Africa, 1985) and the cinematography was breathtaking.

The ER.org app does not have the full function of the website, but you can go to the website if you want to.

Ladies and gentlemen, stop the presses! Al and Lena, if you haven't already returned the iPad, or are on your way to the store, turn the car around....

I have found an app that enables printing via WiFi, 3G, on my printer, and sharing of documents via Google Docs, PDF and email. It's Print 'n Share Pro. Just look for it in the app store. Below is the proof.

Last edited:
Meadbh said:
Ladies and gentlemen, stop the presses! Al and Lena, if you haven't already returned the iPad, or are on your way to the store, turn the car around....

I have found an app that enables printing via WiFi, 3G, on my printer, and sharing of documents via Google Docs, PDF and email. It's Print 'n Share Pro. Just look for it in the app store. Below is the proof.

Oops, too late. But I did know that there were apps that would do that.

BTW, returning the iPad was dead easy. I got the approval, and Fedex came by the next day, and the day after that we had a refund. We didn't lose a penny (shipping was free in both diections) IOW, it is practical to try it out at home.

BTW, returning the iPad was dead easy. I got the approval, and Fedex came by the next day, and the day after that we had a refund. We didn't lose a penny (shipping was free in both diections) IOW, it is practical to try it out at home.

That sounds pretty good. Did you order it directly from Apple, or from Amazon, or...:confused: If you said where, I missed it.

That sounds pretty good. Did you order it directly from Apple, or from Amazon, or...:confused: If you said where, I missed it.

I ordered directly from Apple -- refurbished. We don't have Apple stores around here.

Normal period is 14 days, longer around Christmas (thank goodness).

Reactions: W2R
I am intrigued by all you people gushing over your IPads. I have the Android Transformer with keyboard with all that extra battery life, which is good. I like it, mostly since I got the keyboard. But my new toy is my HTC View, which I also like because of it's more compact size (7" ) which is easy to throw in your handbag. (also a Nook, and Kindle)

Since, I have not owned an IPad, I can not compare it to the devices I currently have. I surely don't need another tablet. But then who really
NEEDS a tablet. Anyway, I am curious, and wonder if I would find it much more superior to what I have. Don't get me thinking. It is my drug of choice you know.

I actually think I prefer net books, cause I like using a mouse, keyboard and larger hard drives to store stuff. Just wish you could buy one with an IPS or similar screen for around the $300-$400 range. Actually, truth be told. I want one of everything! It's definitely an addiction. I wish I could shake it. I need help. :blush:

iPad has far more software written for it.

So if you want to explore software and content made for the tablet, iPad is unbeatable at the moment. Maybe Kindle Fire can attract some of that software attention.

The keyboard is useful (there are a lot of 3rd party keyboards you can get, which is another thing, iPad gets way more accessory/peripheral support) if you're still in the mode of using a tablet as closely as possible to a computer.

If you need to type a lot, having a keyboard is one thing. But if you use the keyboard a lot, are you getting the most out of the multitouch interface of tablets?

iPad has far more software written for it.

So if you want to explore software and content made for the tablet, iPad is unbeatable at the moment. Maybe Kindle Fire can attract some of that software attention.
Kindle Fire won't make a difference since most people use it as a reader and a tablet secondarily. Also, like Barnes and Noble, they will probably just accept/modify standard Android apps to work well with their small screen space and charge you a few bucks for the effort. So, like Nook, they will have a much smaller, more costly universe of apps than a standard Android tablet. The iPad rules on apps and user interface. It only lags on openness and the mandatory tie to iTunes and the Apple Store.

Kindle Fire won't make a difference since most people use it as a reader and a tablet secondarily.
Ah, no; I guess I'm not "most people" :cool: ...

I'm a K-Fire owner/user and I use it exclusively as a web browser.

BTW, I/we have a desktop (for financials, and backup to Carbonite), laptop (sitting on the kitchen desk, primarily used by DW for menu's), my netbook, used for travel (since I can upload digital pictures and send immediately, plus have a backup to our camera).

The K-Fire? It sits on the coffee table and primarly used to answer all those questions from DW when watching TV/DVD's, of "what happened to whom"? :facepalm:

Every "tool" has its use...

Rumor has it Apple will introduce a couple of new versions of the iPad in January. Might be worth waiting to see what that's all about or if you can get a better price on an older version.

Thanks. After reading your post, I looked into this. While the rumor very well might be true, I found this article on the new iPads and possible release timeframe to be pretty persuasive. I decided to go ahead and take a chance, and order the iPad 2 now along with a blue Apple smartcover for it. Apple says it will arrive in a week.

I went through the same thing when I bought my iPhone 4 last May. Rumors at that time were that the iPhone 5 was coming out in June. If the iPad 3 comes out later this month, I will be very surprised but probably won't mind at all when I read about it on my iPad 2. :D

Betcha thought I'd never stop talking about it and finally let loose of the $$$ to buy one! :dance:

Betcha thought I'd never stop talking about it and finally let loose of the $$$ to buy one! :dance:

Everyone, I checked W2R's IP and her account has not been hijacked. It's for real!!!!:eek::LOL:

Anyways, congrats W2R. I think you'll enjoy your new iPad!

Everyone, I checked W2R's IP and her account has not been hijacked. It's for real!!!!:eek::LOL:

Anyways, congrats W2R. I think you'll enjoy your new iPad!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it and I hope that I enjoy it as much as MPaquette enjoys his, even though I don't have a cat to circle around on my stomach:

I bought one, as a sort of toy for myself, and it had turned out to be ridiculously useful, far more than I had anticipated. (I'm on the sofa, with my feet elevated 18 inches higher than my chest, and posting with the thing right now while a cat circles around on my stomach.)

Today's usage:
Breakfast: put on "wall street journal this morning" podcast while making coffee, then listened to the podcast while reading the morning e-paper and eating my oatmeal.

Exercise: did an hour on the elliptical while listening to tunes, and watching a TV show that was on my desktop computer, streamed over WiFi to the iPad.

Later this morning, read this forum, did some online shopping, and a little research work.

Now: reading and posting here.

Later: I'll catch the evening news with dinner, catch up on e-mail, and check market futures before bed.

It's handy...

Last edited:
Thanks. After reading your post, I looked into this. While the rumor very well might be true, I found this article on the new iPads and possible release timeframe to be pretty persuasive. I decided to go ahead and take a chance, and order the iPad 2 now along with a blue Apple smartcover for it. Apple says it will arrive in a week.

I went through the same thing when I bought my iPhone 4 last May. Rumors at that time were that the iPhone 5 was coming out in June. If the iPad 3 comes out later this month, I will be very surprised but probably won't mind at all when I read about it on my iPad 2. :D

A new version is always soon too be released. It doesn't matter.

What I don’t like about the iPad
- Autocorrect (now I understand all the jokes)
- No arrow key

Shortcomings I knew about and expected
- It is a bit heavy
- Battery runs down quickly
- short power cable

Everything else is fantastic. The iPad apps for The Economist, FT and NYT are excellent – they all have the same look at the print version. I’ve only had mine for a little over a week but it is my new constant companion around the house (sans bathroom). What impresses me the most is not the utility but the way Apple has designed the interface to make it so intuitive to use.

Get it, Michael! You will love the iPad, I promise. I feel like a member of a cult, but I swear, it has changed my internet habits completely. And you can look at the Economist over coffee anytime you like. :)
I thought this was an overstatement but it is not.

At first I didn't like the autocorrect on my iPod touch, and disabled it, but for some reason I reenabled and now I love pussy with it.

For Lena, the replacement refurbished laptop was a good solution. Very soon after it arrived she was back to her usual surfing.

Just wondering if anyone knows a good anti-virus program for an android tablet--free, if possible. And do I see correctly that some say no security program is needed?

Back
Top Bottom