Password Managers

Sittingduck

Recycles dryer sheets
Which password manager would you suggest and why?

I am thinking that I need to upgrade the security of my online accounts, particularly stronger password protection. A number of the highly rated manager programs are cloud based. I am just nervous about storing sensitive information in the cloud - mainly I admit due to my own ignorance.

Do you use a system that a moderately technophobic investor could easily adapt to?

I use Roboform. You can use it cloud based but are not required to use it cloud based.

I used to have a single computer license. I now have Roboform Everywhere which is an annual subscription and can be used on many devices. You can sync your data in the cloud but are not required to do so.

Bear in mind that you set up a master password for your password data. No one knows that master password except you. Then if you want to sync to the cloud you have another password for the cloud. Even if someone got that password, they would not have your master password (assuming you are smart enough to make the cloud password different from the master password)

RoboForm Everywhere: Security

This is an interesting interview about security:

What LastPass security issue means for RoboForm (Q&A) | Security & Privacy - CNET News

I like keepass. I initially chose it because it's free. It has the option to put the database in my dropbox account and there's an iphone app as well. This means I have access to my passwords on my home PC, my iPad, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. The database is encrypted and access is via a master password, the presence of a master file on the device (which could be a picture of your dog, say) or a windows log-in on the PC. Or, any combination of the three methods.

Once I started really populating the database over a period of six months I realized just how many darn passwords there are in modern life. And now they are all different and randomly generated.

I use LastPass. It's easy to use, and there's a version for our Windows Phones.

I use Keeper. It can be used cloud-based (fee) or not (free), is simple, and is accessed via a master password.

+1 for KeePass. I use it with DropBox Support. Also both iOS and Android Apps. Plus it is highly rated and free.

I like keepass. I initially chose it because it's free. It has the option to put the database in my dropbox account and there's an iphone app as well. This means I have access to my passwords on my home PC, my iPad, my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. The database is encrypted and access is via a master password, the presence of a master file on the device (which could be a picture of your dog, say) or a windows log-in on the PC. Or, any combination of the three methods.

Once I started really populating the database over a period of six months I realized just how many darn passwords there are in modern life. And now they are all different and randomly generated.

This. Keepass is great. Keepass with Dropbox is greater.

i use password safe. been using it for several years now - never an issue

PasswordSafe - I put the database in DropBox and then have access from the PasswordSafe Android app.

Nice info - I've just been storing all of my passwords in an excel file - downloaded keepass. Probably a good thing to start using so I can get more variety in the passwords I use.

+1 for Keepass. It is fairly easy to use and has been a big help. You must not forget the log-in password which I think is true for all of these programs.

+1 for lastpass. It also supports multi-factor authentication using yubikey or a usb drive and one-time passwords. Also includes a pretty good form-filling feature.

+1 for Lastpass. Seems to work well. I do find that it auto filling for Vanguard and Fidelity seems to not operate properly, but for most other things it works well. As Galaxyboy commented, it is amazing how many passwords are needed.

+1 for Lastpass. Seems to work well. I do find that it auto filling for Vanguard and Fidelity seems to not operate properly, but for most other things it works well.
All form-filler software will have such difficulties, as different websites will continually introduce new ways of blocking their own users from using convenience devices (in an attempt to block them from inadvertently making such conveniences available to those who may steal their laptops, for example).

For Vanguard, auto fill-in works for me. For Fidelity, it is important - again, to use auto fill-in instead of auto login - but also you need to deliberately click out of the user name field so that Fidelity's client-side code can partially obscure your user name (replacing part of it with stars). Only then press the login button, and it works fine.

I use KeePass because it is free. It is easy to setup and use. Autofill won't work for me at Vanguard but does at Fidelity. At most sites the autofill doesn't work but I just drag and drop the userid then the password. I now have complex userids and passwords. KeePass lets you print your database and I keep a copy in my safe deposit box. No experience with any other password manager.

1Password is my utility of choice. I have it on my Desktop, phone and tablet and it can sync among those platforms, cloud or not (though using the cloud is more convenient). As noted for some other programs, auto login does not work with every site.

I still use Whisper 32. Mostly because I've been using it for about 15 years. I should move over to Keepass, especially since they added Whisper import capability. I like Whisper, but would recommend Keepass to someone looking for a password manager.

Back
Top Bottom