Personality Type (modern, not Myers Briggs)

Interesting. Kind of matches the ISTJ I registered in the old test.

Attachments

• C5C8359C-CAF0-4015-99EA-C14EA7E8543D.jpeg
    C5C8359C-CAF0-4015-99EA-C14EA7E8543D.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 14
I found the questions somewhat repetitious and annoying. I didn't finish. I suspect that indicates that I am impatient and easily annoyed.:mad:

I found the questions somewhat repetitious and annoying. I didn't finish. I suspect that indicates that I am impatient and easily annoyed.:mad:

There's some repetition, yeah. And yes, you probably would have scored low in patience, lol. Although I sympathize. I find filling out psychological questionnaires very tedious. I tried to pick the a short one. There are versions of this Big Five system that take an hour or two to fill out. They give you more reliable and specific info (e.g., about the subfactors), but no one here, including me, has the patience for that.

Last edited:
My results, pretty much as expected.

I can't seem to get the image to post.
Factor I 25
Factor II 95
Factor III 51
Factor IV 41
Factor V 65

Maybe I'll calculate group averages, if we get more people. Like I said earlier, I bet this group is lower on Extraversion and higher on Conscientiousness than average. It's probably higher on Agreeableness than average, too -- it's a very agreeable sort of forum, with disagreements avoided, so most of the disagreeable sorts have probably wandered away, muttering under their breath.

Last edited:
I scored high on all the factors. My lowest score was 84%.

I'm a huge introvert and the test scored me high on Extroversion.
I worked hard to acquire social skills so I could be an excellent hostess and boss. So the test seems to based on behavior rather than natural traits.

And it only gave me a 45 on Agreeableness. I think I am far more agreeable than I usually want to be ;-)

I'm a huge introvert and the test scored me high on Extroversion.
I worked hard to acquire social skills so I could be an excellent hostess and boss. So the test seems to based on behavior rather than natural traits.

Maybe, I'd have to check the items. Your score is based on how you describe yourself, relative to how others describe themselves.

A few things to consider:

1. It's a short scale, attempting to cover the major factors of personality. That's a lot of ground. The Extraversion factor has only 10 or 12 items, which isn't much. It's just a snapshot.

2. The Big 5 concept of "Extraversion" is more multifaceted than most people's conception of introversion-extroversion. For instance, here is a list of the sub-traits that go into making up "Extraversion": Warmth/friendliness, Gregariousness, Assertiveness, Activity/Activity level, Excitement-seeking, and Positive Emotions/Cheerfulness. So "Extraversion" is a broad, abstract term that incorporates a lot of different traits (some of which you might be high on) which you might not necessarily think of, if you think just in terms of "Am I an introvert or extrovert?"

3. It's possible that you might be more extroverted than you think you are. I've known plenty of people who say they are huge introverts but actually are not; they're mild introverts. I've known other people who say they are introverts, but they're not; they are pretty balanced between the two poles (ambiverts). I'm not sure why some people like to claim to be introverts when they're not, but they do.

4. The best way to answer the questions is based on how you generally or usually are, not on how you might behave in a particular social role (e.g., as a hostess).

5. It's also possible that, because you've worked so hard to become more social, you have actually become more extroverted over time. Personality isn't entirely fixed but malleable to some degree.

Personally, I'm always curious when I score different on a personality test than I thought I would. Sometimes it's because the test didn't perform very well. But sometimes I learn something about myself.

For instance, I've thought that I can be narcissistic at times, but when I took multiple tests that measure it, I always scored low, in one case at the very bottom. So I stopped worrying about being narcissistic and gave myself more room for self-assertion, a little healthy ego, and some pride. It was good for me.

Another example is that I used to think I had an anxious or insecure attachment style. But I took three different attachment tests over a series of several years, and I always came out securely attached. That changed the way I saw myself, and it made my relationships go better, because how you think about yourself changes things.

Last edited:
We served in the same service. Thx for sitting ‘in the hole’ for us.

Last edited:
You're correct - they wander away to City-Data's retirement forum. There's a current thread started by someone who was indignant about our "Pay for College" thread. He said mean things about us! Well, they were sort of true, but it wasn't necessary to say them :angel:

it's a very agreeable sort of forum, with disagreements avoided, so most of the disagreeable sorts have probably wandered away, muttering under their breath.

We served in the same service. Thx for sitting ‘in the hole’ for us.

Wrong thread?

You're correct - they wander away to City-Data's retirement forum. There's a current thread started by someone who was indignant about our "Pay for College" thread. He said mean things about us! Well, they were sort of true, but it wasn't necessary to say them :angel:

I went over and saw what you were talking about. Apparently we're a collection of selfish jerks and odd birds. I'll own the odd bird part.

I'd far rather be odd, than as hostile as the OP on that thread.

It's not just that thread. Either there are larger numbers of crabby people on that forum than ours, or their mods don't use as many methods to encourage forum decorum.

Edit: I hope I haven't strayed too far by criticizing another forum. I read the rules before posting.

Wrong thread?

I went over and saw what you were talking about. Apparently we're a collection of selfish jerks and odd birds. I'll own the odd bird part.

BIG5-graphic.php

Emotional stability makes sense to me as I'm currently dealing with PTSD, MDD, and anxiety.

I've known I'm an introvert. Surprised at the lower score on intellect. Most likely that's due to where my head is at the moment.

I only recently took the Myers-Briggs and found my "score" (ISFJ) more accurate than in this test:
BIG5-graphic.php

The "Agreeableness" really surprised me. Everyone around me would say I was extremely agreeable, but it may be that I'm not. I largely worked alone and have lived alone, and there were many people that I wanted to NOT be agreeable to, but felt I had to :)

But another issue with the test has to do with FIRE itself - I feel like a very different personality in some respects, particularly anxiety, after FIRE than before.

BIG5-graphic.php

Emotional stability makes sense to me as I'm currently dealing with PTSD, MDD, and anxiety.

I've known I'm an introvert. Surprised at the lower score on intellect. Most likely that's due to where my head is at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Note that what they're calling "Intellect" here is usually labelled Openness, i.e., openness to different ideas, experiences, emotions, etc. They've labelled it kind of weirdly.

I only recently took the Myers-Briggs and found my "score" (ISFJ) more accurate than in this test:

Thanks for giving it a shot. See my comments above (post 59) re. how "Extraversion" here differs from how M-B and other instruments may conceptualize Extroversion/Introversion. This is the label Big 5 usually gives this superordinate factor, but alternative labels have been things like "Surgency" or "Positive Emotionality." So we're not dealing with a simple introversion-extroversion concept here, although the label can make you think that.

But another issue with the test has to do with FIRE itself - I feel like a very different personality in some respects, particularly anxiety, after FIRE than before.

Yeah, that happens with most personality tests. Your mood, attitude, situation in life, etc., affect how you see yourself and others, how you behave, etc., and so how you respond to questions about your typical attitudes and behaviors. For instance, I know I'm scoring higher on Extraversion and Agreeableness now than I would have 5 years ago. I'm in a better place; I'm healthier; I'm more rested and less stressed; my general outlook is much better, etc. That's reflected in my sense of myself and others, my attitudes, behaviors, etc., and my responses to the questions. The effect isn't large -- I still am basically the same person -- but it's significant.

Last edited:
BIG5-graphic.php

It would be nice if the graph were percentiles instead of raw scores.

So with an Agreeableness score of 5 does that mean I'm officially an old curmudgeon now?

Heck, I got a whopping 2 (yes TWO)....

I am critical, but only aggressive to DW when she moves my stuff!!!

You're correct - they wander away to City-Data's retirement forum. There's a current thread started by someone who was indignant about our "Pay for College" thread. He said mean things about us!

And that thread took off like a prairie fire, with a wide diversity of pro, con, and inbetween opinions, just like here - only with far more personal jabs and animosity. :p

BIG5-graphic.php

It would be nice if the graph were percentiles instead of raw scores.

Good point, I hadn't noticed that. Yeah, the visual representation is actually misleading. For instance, your Agreeableness percentile rank is 45, slightly below average, but the visual representation makes it look like it's well above average.

"odd?" I think the word was "weird" :) I especially liked the "use caution when visiting" warning. :)

We have some good discussion and disagreements here. Not all of us score 96 on "agreeableness" after all.

"odd?" I think the word was "weird" :) I especially liked the "use caution when visiting" warning. :)

We have some good discussion and disagreements here. Not all of us score 96 on "agreeableness" after all.

True, it was "weird birds," not "odd birds." I guess I translated it in my head to the more common phrase. Plus, I'm willing to own being an "odd" bird, but I'd probably balk at being called a "weird" bird. "Odd" sounds better somehow, even though they're basically saying the same thing.

Also, he didn't say we were "selfish jerks," he said we (some of us) were characterized by "unbridled greed." I guess I need to be more accurate in my reporting of others' insults.

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom