Pet Owners esp dogs

steve88

Recycles dryer sheets
Do you keep your dogs or cat inside our outside the house when you leave the house?

Cat, more inside as he gets older (was feral ~11 years ago).

Is it normal for cat owners to leave their cats roaming the neighborhood? Some neighbor say its to control rodent?

I have a doggie door which the dogs and cat use when they want to go in or out. My backyard is fenced so they won't roam the neighborhood.

what if your neighbors is a jerk and taunts and antagonize the dog? Then he blames it on you for not properly training your dog. Would you still leave it outside?

Cats, inside at all times. It's unlawful where I live to let pets roam free and since it's almost impossible to contain cats within the confines of our backyard, we don't let them out of the house.

4 acres fenced, all five cats and all five dogs go in and out.
Neighbors are good, crazy, but good about the animals.
We don't complain about the drunken arguments, gunfire, etc,
and they don't complain about the dogs.
It is a good system

I drop my golden girl off at the doggy day care when I'm gone during the day. Also known as mom. But when I go out at night, she stays in my house. :)

img_803433_0_1e9ececca0563425da56b89cd59ac17c.jpg

Miss Magoo chooses where she wants to be while I run away for a while. Pertfect weather and she lays by the pool. Hot weather and she prefers the AC and tile floors. When it rains she is on her sheepskin. I swear she naps the whole time I am gone and never eats a bite.

If I had a nutty neighbor I would want to protect my pet and keep them in unless I was there.

Is it normal for cat owners to leave their cats roaming the neighborhood? Some neighbor say its to control rodent?
I've never let my cats roam even when I lived in rural areas.

I let them outside once a day for about half an hour in our fenced backyard. I stay out there with them.

If I had a neighbor like yours, I'd leave my dog outside, pretend to leave and sneak back and try to observe what my neighbor does.

Then, depending on the results, I'd speak to the neighbor if needed, call the police if needed (neighbor antagonizing the dog) or look for a doggy daycare. Cats are easier to lock inside with a catbox.

Steve, regarding cats, where we live it is completely ordinary for them to be indoor/outdoor in safe neighborhoods. We specifically chose where we bought land and built our house for the suitability to have our animals be indoor/outdoor.
The cats wander over to the neighbors sometimes (the not as crazy ones) and they said they sure like my gray calico, as she patrols their little shed for varmints pretty good. Most of our dogs bark "at" stuff, rather than that terrible keening cry of the lonely suburban dog in the back yard.

Dogs all our adult lives in a suburban world - inside with/without Supervision, outside only with Supervision. I can't imagine leaving a dog outside alone for more than a minute or two even with fences unless maybe we lived in a rural area such as a farm, but even then I am not sure I could do it.

My lab (Coal) usually stays inside if I leave him at home but whenever possible I take him with me. If I run short errands, he rides along and hangs out in the car (except on very hot days). My neighbor will sometimes let him out during the day if I am gone more than a few hours.

Coal loves the water but I only give him access to the lake when I can supervise.

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 1
Inside when I’m out, she’s a cat. For exercise, I run her up and down the common staircases in the apt. bldg. when I go to get the mail or do laundry in the basement. I found a previous cat behind the dryer.

Saw a woman struggling with her cat carrier in Chinatown. Helped her carry it and she told me that contrary to popular belief, abandoned cats get very skinny in Chinatown because there are not enough rats to feed them. Maybe it was just a Chinese New Year’s joke? This is the year of the ox, last year was the year of the rat. Why is it that there is a year of the dog but no year of the cat, unless the tiger fills that niche.

what if your neighbors is a jerk and taunts and antagonize the dog? Then he blames it on you for not properly training your dog. Would you still leave it outside?

I antagonize my neighbor's dog. It is a "trained" German shepherd guard dog and is constrained by an invisible fence. I antagonize it by working in my yard, getting mail from my mailbox, taking out the trash cans, walking down the street, having friends over, etc. I guess that makes me a jerk, too. :whistle:

We have five cats...or as some one once told me we are lovingly owned by five cats. The three older ones go out to terrorize what ever small creatures they can find and run off other cats. The two younger ones content themselves by reeking havoc inside. They are all a bunch of odd balls much like the humans who care for them.

Karly lives outdoors. She likes to keep an eye on things, especially Jack, the neighbor's mule.

2 dogs, with a fully fenced in back yard. Never outside alone except for "business" trips. If I am outside, always within view or "helping" me with yardwork. :D
Double garage for anytime we're gone, even short periods. I use an oversized dog crate for the one who chews on stuff when left alone. The other dog is fine.
Music, gas stove on low for colder weather, used bathroom rugs for laying on for both.

Lakedog - Beautiful picture of your Coal! Brought back memories.

My first dog as an adult was a chocolate lab and then we added a pug. It was hard to keep the lab out of the water (and we lived on a boat for some years). The pug would try to follow but couldn't keep his muzzle up far enough, long enough. Here's a pic of the lab on me in my survival suit. And to pretend to make this post relevant, both dogs were leashed in the harbor but were free to roam the boat when we were tied to the dock or on anchor.

Attachments

• kerwin and survival suit.jpg
    kerwin and survival suit.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 128
My 3 dogs are usually inside when no-one is home, but if the weather is nice I might leave them outside (suburbia, cinder-block fence).

Back
Top Bottom