Pets That Left Us

Idnar7--so sorry for the loss of your fur baby.
Our guy went over the rainbow bridge last summer. I have yet to get another one, he was the most chill dog, and the best snuggler, we have ever had.
I grew up with dogs, and DH and I have had dogs most of our marriage. We have had all different breeds--mixes from the shelter, purebred from breeders. They are all wonderful in their own way.
This is the longest we have gone without. But I am starting to take peeks at the local Humane Society!

Give yourselves time to grieve. If you truly don't see yourselves getting another, perhaps fostering is a way to go. Or volunteer dog walk with your local shelter--they are usually always looking for volunteers!

Death is a part of owning a pet, but the joy of sharing their lives is certainly worth it.

Sorry and we can relate. We had to put down our 17 year old pup just before Thanksgiving, and still catch ourselves looking for him. This is our 1st time since early 1985 we haven't had a dog underfoot. Just a few weeks ago we went with our Daughter to put down her pup shes had for 12 years. They do become family.

It is quite painful losing a fur baby. We have a 9 yo cat and 5 yo dog. I hope they both have many more good years, but as we get up in age, I'd be worried about any new additions that could not count on their Mom and Dad being around to care for them till the end.

Sorry for your loss. It is always hard to say good-bye to such a faithful friend for the final time. We have had dogs for most of our lives and our current house mate is approaching the end of what has been a wonderful life. We thought that we would go dogless for awhile after she passed but after much debate decided to add a puppy to the family. There was much discussion as to whether the new dog would be a plus or minus for the old but they are getting along very well and it hasn't seemed much of a stress. We are lucky to have 3 adult children nearby and they are very happy to look after the dog(s) if we go somewhere the dogs can't.

Chase and Luna.jpg

I've known several people who do 'quit' pets after having an especially beloved one pass, and I think it just takes time. I went a whole year once without a dog and did a lot of traveling. You could consider filling the hole with activities that maybe you haven't done because they are harder with a dog. When I did get a dog after that year, it was such an emotional joy.

There are a lot of senior pets that need adopting and might be already housebroken and trained. I recently lost my long time dog and adopted a rescue, untrained and a bit difficult. FWIW, the amazing bond I had with my longtime companion is not the case with my new dog. It might happen, but I think I don't want to get as crazy attached so it's good as is.

In any case give it time, but not to the point where it's obvious you need a new fur baby and you're suffering needlessly :).

Dogs mourn too!

We had a Doberman for about 13 years, and gained a Chow mix rescue as a Pup. She grew up with this Dob as her Mom for about 7 years. DW came home with the kids to find the Dob laid up under my truck dead, and the Chow laying with her... DW gets a treat and coax's the Chow out, who takes the treat and brings it back under the truck and drops it in front of the Dob....
I get home and go out behind my shop and pick a spot and bury our 1st baby.
For the next week, The Chow laid on the grave, and even years later, you could ask her were Ockus was, and she would go back to the grave. Several years later, she was buried beside her Mom.
In the 25 years we lived there, we buried 7 dogs there, and the new owners know the spot, and promise not to disturb it.

We had a Doberman for about 13 years, and gained a Chow mix rescue as a Pup. She grew up with this Dob as her Mom for about 7 years. DW came home with the kids to find the Dob laid up under my truck dead, and the Chow laying with her... DW gets a treat and coax's the Chow out, who takes the treat and brings it back under the truck and drops it in front of the Dob....
I get home and go out behind my shop and pick a spot and bury our 1st baby.
For the next week, The Chow laid on the grave, and even years later, you could ask her were Ockus was, and she would go back to the grave. Several years later, she was buried beside her Mom.
In the 25 years we lived there, we buried 7 dogs there, and the new owners know the spot, and promise not to disturb it.

Wow, heartbreaking but beautiful story proves animals not only have emotions but memories and loyalty to their loved ones. Proven over and over again in the wild kingdom.

Thanks for all the heartfelt replies. Our dog was an older rescue dog. We only had her 5 years. We always said she adopted us. It only took her about 5 minutes to fit in like she knew us for years. On Monday mornings my wife does volunteer calling. She takes grocery orders for shut-ins and other volunteers do the shopping and delivery. Anyway when Chelsea would hear her talking she would walk in the computer room and lay next to her the whole time she talked. Later on she would just tell Chelsea "time to go to work" and she would immediately go and lay down next to the chair. Never bothered her, just helped. For all three of our dogs, when the time came, they just laid down and wouldn't get up. Gave you that look with their eyes that said "it's time". Give your pets an extra pet/hug from us.

Extra pets and hugs given.

Back
Top Bottom