Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

PG&E power outage in Northern California
Old 10-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

PG&E power outage in Northern California

We were ready to leave today for a 4 day trip to Placerville. Our Airbnb host notified us that they shut down the power from the Bay Area all the way through Northern California. It could be down for up to 5 days as they physically inspect all the lines. The power company said its windy and perfect conditions for a fire. Our host said its only 6 mph wind where they are. I feel sorry for the people living there.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #2

Reason number 1436 that I will never move (back) to California.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #3

The interesting thing is they mentioned they would partially shut down Ventura county. I know the Air Force base isn't too far away...and our nation relies on that being 100% operational for any Intercontinental Ballistic threats coming from the West. Let's hope the outage doesn't reach the base!

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Are intentional, days-long electricity shutdowns done anywhere else on the planet?
Old 10-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Are intentional, days-long electricity shutdowns done anywhere else on the planet?

Venezuela and Iraq perhaps? I don't know for sure.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

I would ask how those in San Fran are holding up...but surely there communicstion will be impacted. Meanehile generator and gasoline sales have sky rocketed in the Bay area.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
The interesting thing is they mentioned they would partially shut down Ventura county. I know the Air Force base isn't too far away...and our nation relies on that being 100% operational for any Intercontinental Ballistic threats coming from the West. Let's hope the outage doesn't reach the base!
Whattaya bet they have a robust back-up power generation system in place, exercised/tested weekly. Your tax dollars at work!

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 10-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
  • Vandenberg AFB is in Santa Barbara county, which was not even mentioned in the article.
  • As REWahoo noted, they are well aware of how to deal with contingencies. I've spent considerable time there and I can vouch for that.
  • Geography seems to be a difficult subject for many.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #9

Welcome to California, the newest third world country...

The bankruptcy court should have put this company out of its' and our misery while it could. It's not like this is the first time this bunch of whiners has resorted to bankruptcy to avoid their responsibilities. Instead, the court listened to all the hand wringers and politicians moaning about what would happen if PG&E disappeared. PG&E is back on the dole and the customers are suffering once again.

I was out of town for a few days, arriving home last night. Power here was supposed to go off at noon but is now delayed. Wind speed here is maybe 5 mph.

Thinking of bugging out again if this soap opera continues for too long...
Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Yup, West Virginia is lookin' pretty good about now....
Old 10-09-2019, 02:54 PM   #11

Quote:
+1 I'll shed a tear for them when I have a min to spare.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #12

Just messengeref with my friend in Humboldt County. Cell service is good for now. We will see when the providers need to refill the deisel in the generators though.
No fire risk, but PGE tried to leave their power on but couldnt. She expect 5 days and has enough dry ice and candles to last. They will be buying a generator as this is expected to become a norm.
Another acquaintance there has no power and a 5 year old that requires electric to run her medical equipment. Not sure how they're holding up.
How much of this is due to the lawsuits filed against PGE over the Paradise disaster?
Old 10-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Not a problem...

Everybody affected in Ca can live off the stored amount of electricity in their Tesla's battery until the shutdown is over.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:06 PM   #14

Wind turbines in SF Bay would be good.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #15

Hope this level of empathy is remembered when the next hurricane hits the East coast or tornado destroys a swath of the MidWest.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Everybody affected in Ca can live off the stored amount of electricity in their Tesla's battery until the shutdown is over.
Nah, they are all moving to your neighborhood in Texas instead.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Nah, they are all moving to your neighborhood in Texas instead.
That seems to be the natural progression. I am one who defected 25 years ago!
Old 10-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
That seems to be the natural progression. I am one who defected 25 years ago!
And I admire your prescience!

I never thought I would leave California until recently. Now it's a stronger possibility every day!
Old 10-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #19

Tesla Powerwall sales might get a wee boost.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ill pray for those with power out for days. I saw some ladies on the news and it almost brought a tear to my eye. They couldnt find an open convenience store for coffee. True story, this was actually on the news.

Closed Thread