PG&E power outage in Northern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teacher Terry

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We were ready to leave today for a 4 day trip to Placerville. Our Airbnb host notified us that they shut down the power from the Bay Area all the way through Northern California. It could be down for up to 5 days as they physically inspect all the lines. The power company said it’s windy and perfect conditions for a fire. Our host said it’s only 6 mph wind where they are. I feel sorry for the people living there.

Reason number 1436 that I will never move (back) to California.

The interesting thing is they mentioned they would partially shut down Ventura county. I know the Air Force base isn't too far away...and our nation relies on that being 100% operational for any Intercontinental Ballistic threats coming from the West. Let's hope the outage doesn't reach the base!

Are intentional, days-long electricity shutdowns done anywhere else on the planet?

I would ask how those in San Fran are holding up...but surely there communicstion will be impacted. Meanehile generator and gasoline sales have sky rocketed in the Bay area.

The interesting thing is they mentioned they would partially shut down Ventura county. I know the Air Force base isn't too far away...and our nation relies on that being 100% operational for any Intercontinental Ballistic threats coming from the West. Let's hope the outage doesn't reach the base!

Whattaya bet they have a robust back-up power generation system in place, exercised/tested weekly. Your tax dollars at work! :)

Last edited:

• Vandenberg AFB is in Santa Barbara county, which was not even mentioned in the article.
  • As REWahoo noted, they are well aware of how to deal with contingencies. I've spent considerable time there and I can vouch for that.
  • Geography seems to be a difficult subject for many.

Welcome to California, the newest third world country...

The bankruptcy court should have put this company out of its' and our misery while it could. It's not like this is the first time this bunch of whiners has resorted to bankruptcy to avoid their responsibilities. Instead, the court listened to all the hand wringers and politicians moaning about what would happen if PG&E disappeared. PG&E is back on the dole and the customers are suffering once again.

I was out of town for a few days, arriving home last night. Power here was supposed to go off at noon but is now delayed. Wind speed here is maybe 5 mph.

Thinking of bugging out again if this soap opera continues for too long...

Just messengeref with my friend in Humboldt County. Cell service is good for now. We will see when the providers need to refill the deisel in the generators though.
No fire risk, but PGE tried to leave their power on but couldnt. She expect 5 days and has enough dry ice and candles to last. They will be buying a generator as this is expected to become a norm.
Another acquaintance there has no power and a 5 year old that requires electric to run her medical equipment. Not sure how they're holding up.
How much of this is due to the lawsuits filed against PGE over the Paradise disaster?

Not a problem...

Everybody affected in Ca can live off the stored amount of electricity in their Tesla's battery until the shutdown is over. :D

Hope this level of empathy is remembered when the next hurricane hits the East coast or tornado destroys a swath of the MidWest.

That seems to be the natural progression. I am one who defected 25 years ago!

And I admire your prescience!

I never thought I would leave California until recently. Now it's a stronger possibility every day!

Ill pray for those with power out for days. I saw some ladies on the news and it almost brought a tear to my eye. They couldnt find an open convenience store for coffee. True story, this was actually on the news.

Ill pray for those with power out for days. I saw some ladies on the news and it almost brought a tear to my eye. They couldnt find an open convenience store for coffee. True story, this was actually on the news.

Oh, the humanity!

An aquaintance of mine lost her home and everything she owned last year in the paradise fire. She, her husband, and her dog left in their car and escaped but everything else burned to the ground. And she was lucky she got out.

These rolling outages are to protect against another tragedy and hopefully reduce the risk of similar losses.

the lack of empathy for millions who live under these threats is really disturbing to see here.

We were ready to leave today for a 4 day trip to Placerville. Our Airbnb host notified us that they shut down the power from the Bay Area all the way through Northern California. It could be down for up to 5 days as they physically inspect all the lines. The power company said it’s windy and perfect conditions for a fire. Our host said it’s only 6 mph wind where they are. I feel sorry for the people living there.

I don't get it... isn't part of their normal job to continually inspect the lines for potential dangers?

I don't get it... isn't part of their normal job to continually inspect the lines for potential dangers?

There is obviously some sort of management malpractice going on at PG&E. Plus, their taking this plan of action seems like PG&E being is bitter about being held responsible for previous fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom