Philip Seymour Hoffman dead at 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Oscar winning actor was found dead this morning at his New York apartment. What a loss. It will be interesting to know the cause of death.

Just the other day I thought of him, and wondered what movie he might appear in next. He was such a terrific character actor; if he'd lived, he could have kept working as long as he desired.

Amethyst

From that point of view, so are funerals and memorial services...this is as close as the forum can get to one.

A.

Posting about someone's death seems kind of ghoulish.

Posting about someone's death seems kind of ghoulish.
In my experience, an important way for the living to deal with the death of someone is to talk about the departed, including the interesting and good things that he or she did in life. I don't find that ghoulish in the least.

So terribly sad, what a waste!!! I have such a hard time understanding how these talented individuals can get to the point where they put their own lives at risk. Sometimes money and fame are NOT good.

I knew him years ago and I know his family from when we were kids. I don't think it's the least bit ghoulish. And the family member of his with which I am still close is touched by the tributes and comments on Facebook and other online sites.

Just the other day I thought of him, and wondered what movie he might appear in next. He was such a terrific character actor; if he'd lived, he could have kept working as long as he desired.

Amethyst

He was a huge talent and it is a great loss.

Apparently he is in the next installment of The Hunger Games, which is in postproduction now.

Loved him in Flawless, he was a talented actor.

One of my favorite actors, what a tragedy.

My impression of Hoffman was that he was a very pushy person. But that might have been because I remember his acting as Freddy in the Talented Mr. Ripley (Matt Damon played Ripley). He really stuck out in that role. I think he also played a pushy CIA guy in another movie I cannot recall the name of.

Was he really pushy and aggressive, or was he playing that character so excellently? Any strong opinions?

My impression of Hoffman was that he was a very pushy person. But that might have been because I remember his acting as Freddy in the Talented Mr. Ripley (Matt Damon played Ripley). He really stuck out in that role. I think he also played a pushy CIA guy in another movie I cannot recall the name of.

Was he really pushy and aggressive, or was he playing that character so excellently? Any strong opinions?

I don't think he would have been in such high demand with directors (he had so many movies and plays to his name, it seems like he worked a lot more than many other "good" actors) if he was really pushy and aggressive.

Apparently he is in the next installment of The Hunger Games, which is in postproduction now.

Ah, I see. That's where I saw him last, in Hunger Games. Hopefully, this does not delay the opening of the 3rd installment.

I think The Talented Mr Ripley is an excellent film, and he certainly shone in it. His character is meant to be pushy in that film, of course, as the situation called for it. . .

Nope that wasn't it but I added this to my Netflix queue. Thanks!

A good movie, in my opinion. I just moved from the small east TX town where Charlie Wilson lived. A friend pointed out his house to me. He was kind of a local legend in Lufkin, TX. As for Mr. Hoffman, he's been one of my favorite actors since the first time I saw him act. I really hated hearing of his death. I also hate the crap that killed him. I wish he'd left it alone.:nonono:

One should not speak ill of the dead but ...

I really do not understand the destructively addictive habits people have. I'm afraid my opinion of people goes down a notch or two when they do something terrible to themselves and in Hoffman's case, to the family.

Also, as we have seen in cycling, drugs can be used to enhance performance. Is it possible that Hoffman was a better actor then he would have been without drugs? Maybe he could have been a better actor without drugs? I don't feel strongly about either thesis, just putting it out there.

I really liked The Talented Mr. Ripley (Hoffman was Freddy in it) and recently started reading that 1955 novel by Patricia Highsmith. Then I read that Highsmith didn't like blacks and was anti-Semitic (see Wikipedia on this one) and had several other unpleasant traits. Now I'm conflicted on her art. Was she just nuts and so the literature seemed unusual and interesting although dark? Was she presenting a side of human nature that ought to be much less celebrated? Reading about Ripley and watching Matt Damon who played the character, one almost is rooting for this villain to succeed.

Well, this is my essay for the day. Talking points that one can ignore if they are too troubling. :)

Hearing about the news kinda reminded me of hearing when Chris Farley died also from drugs. Sad news.

One should not speak ill of the dead but ... :)

If he died by car accident, was assassinated, etc., he would have drawn more sympathy. I for one can't sympathize with a person who died with needle sticking out in his arm.

A short article about how heroin kills, why it happens so frequently.
National Geographic: How Heroin Kills
Several factors, including the unique way it differentially affects portions of our brain, increasingly potent things it is now adulterated with, etc.

Also I heard a bit on NPR today about why there are more heroin users today than a few years ago. Basically, when the spotlight was turned on the high rate of prescription opioid abuse, doctors cut back on prescriptions, registries were started to track those who shopped for doctors, etc. The price of illicit prescription opioids went up, and the availability went down. Users of these drugs turned increasingly to heroin.

Regarding Hoffman--there's more to all of us than just our dark side. Conversely, maybe we put our entertainers on a bit of a pedestal.

Last edited:
If he died by car accident, was assassinated, etc., he would have drawn more sympathy. I for one can't sympathize with a person who died with needle sticking out in his arm.

Perhaps you can spare some sympathy for the mother of his children, and his three children, all under the age of eleven. All they know is their dad is never coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom