Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-09-2015, 05:33 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
What timeframe was that? I seem to remember a problem where Honda was using a 5-speed automatic transmission in the V-6 models that was the same unit as what the 4-cyl models used. In the 4-cyl models, it was just fine. But, in a V-6, with the increased power and torque, it was troubleprone. And in a minivan, with the added weight, even worse.

I was under the impression though, that Honda fixed that problem pretty quickly? For a car maker, that is. GM, Ford, and Chrysler would occasionally get away with peddling a bum transmission for decades!
I think it was a 2000 model. Had several other problems along the way. Traded it in on my 2013 Jeep. Didn't get much for it, but vans are not popular and the tranny was just barely hanging in there.

Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Not a big fan of Honda. Had an Odessey that the transmission went out at 140k. . . . They are just another manufacturer in my book.
Different folks have different experiences. I have 240k miles on my 96 Odyssey I bought used in '99, the only spendy trouble was an AC compressor a couple of years ago. It still runs great. Anecdotes aside, the large surveys of owners indicate all manufacturers are not the same with regard to reliability.

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
youbet - my dad had a heck of a time getting his short bed, standard cab toyota pickup a decade ago. He did have to special order it - but none of the local dealers would work with him... he eventually was given a regional guy's name, and worked him before he got the guy in charge of western US sales. It took him 4 months of asking/pressuring/pushing before they would finally accept his order. I believe he had to pay a serious chunk (half) up front before they'd order it because they didn't think anyone else would want this specific configuration.

His goal was to have it short enough for 4wd'ing in narrow canyons and short enough to fit in the garage. Most of the long bed or extended cab trucks are too big to fit in a standard garage.
Yep length is an issue for me too. It's got to be a full size with a short bed or a mid-size. The local Toyota dealer isn't interested (so far) in ordering or searching for a frugally equipped, std cab, short bed Tundra but I'll talk to them again. Ford will order me an XL to my specs except manual tranny is no longer available.
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.
My last two trucks have been an '04 Chev. Silverado, and a '12 Toyota Tundra (which I have now). No comparison in terms of quality and reliability - the Silverado was a piece of junk, while the Toyota has been great (so far, anyway). It is kind of misleading to talk about foreign vs. USA-made vehicles these days. The Tundra's are made in San Antonio, Texas. Not sure where the Silverado was made, but I know it had a LOT of cheap foreign-made components. All I know is that I will not be buying another Chevy truck.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I drive a f350 diesel. I think the F150s are meant for commuters and are built as such. Get a toyota or similar for these small 'trucks'.

If you want/need a real truck, you need one from the big 3.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote