Pickled Herring

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Ok, got a food question for you. I'm from the deep south if you don't remember. Yes, limited knowledge of raw seafood as we like everything fried.  ;)  I played golf this afternoon with my normal group and after we got through we all went over to a guys house who is orginally from Minnesota. He had just returned from visiting his brother in Minneapolis and broght back some pickled herring. Never had it before but it was pretty darn good on a cracker and with our beer. I sprinkled a little hot sauce on it to jazz it up. :)

Is this something that you eat much of up north? Just wondered as 2 other guys in our group had never had it either and they are not from MS. Just wondered how common it is in other parts of the country. This might be a good question for Martha and Cut. Please, no southern redneck jokes.  :D

Oh Yeah - I always have a jar in my refridgerator. Pretty common here in Minnesota.

Pickled Herring is a great snack! :p

Skip the Lutefisk though - Not worth the effort!

Don't bother with the Pickled Pigs Feet either :-X

Pretty much everyone eats it here. I love it.

Ha

I've never been to Minnesota, but I still love pickled herring. It's good for you and tastes great. Just like beer.

Pretty much everyone eats it here. I love it.

Ha

Meaning Seattle and as far as the eye can see from there.

It is in the delis in the Pacific Northwest. Herring on a Wasa cracker is wonderful. With schnapps (I prefer Aquavit at -10 C) is more wonderfuller. :smitten: Ya, sure. :D I have it about as often as I have jambalaya or blueberry pie or Dungeoness crab.

Ha, ya done it again. I am getting weepy for the salty shores of Ballard.

Gammel Skraelilng

Cut-Throat said:
Oh Yeah - I always have a jar in my refridgerator. Pretty common here in Minnesota.

Pickled Herring is a great snack!   :p

Skip the Lutefisk though - Not worth the effort!

Don't bother with the Pickled Pigs Feet either :-X

MIL used to eat pickled pigs feet as a kid/young adult. I got her some as one of those just because gifts. She said they didnt quite taste like how they used too  :-[

I eat pickled herring and I live in Minnesota.
When I was in California, I went to a Thrifty drug store on new years eve and asked for it - they had no idea - thought I want a whole fish. ::)

I also have portuguese sardines, kippers, moroccan anchovies and smoked oysters in the cupboard.

My mother being part swede had the tradition of shoveling pickled herring (wine style) on to crackers and eating them exactly at new years midnite...I continue the tradition...the kids hold their noses :p whilest doing so, but I know that when they are old they will do it and do it with their nose wide open...my father being a full blood scot would eat any fish, but especially kippers and finnan haddie ...I honor the man and that memory also....

whats that disease one can get from this stuff?  oooh yeah pickled hearing

Since DW is born and raised Swede, I have to weigh in here. It's good stuff. I recommend that you have it with boiled potatoes. A little bit of herring a little potato, etc. That's the main way they eat it.

There are lots of varieties in Sweden. You can buy this at almost any store. Some varieties we don't care for the pickling, so wife drains it, and redoes it with her own stuff.

Back
Top Bottom