Poll:Do You Have Your Smartphone in a Case?

Do You Have Your Smartphone in a Protective Case?

• No, I use my smartphone as is, no case of any kind.

Votes: 28 15.7%
  • Yes, my smartphone is in its case most if not all the time.

Votes: 142 79.8%
  • I don’t have a smartphone.

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters
Dropped an earlier iPhone without a case, and it cracked.

I now have an iPhone 6, and bought a slim case that has a built-in recharger for wireless recharging. It's useful because it protects the phone, plus the recharger component within the case's back has a plug that goes in the recharger port on the phone's bottom. That keeps lint from getting in that port. Previously, the port would get clogged with pocket lint, which required periodic cleanings at the Apple store.

Soft case, with cover flap, no screen protector.

DW has one, but it's not waterproof for the times when it ends up in the toilet. :facepalm:

Dropped my iPad once, cracked the screen. Every since, ALL my devices are in a case.

For many years I used an iPhone, and I always kept it in an Otterbox case.

But now I have transitioned to an LG phone that was free for switching and porting my cell phone number from Verizon to Cricket. I bought a case for my new LG phone at the Cricket store - - it is bright purple, very thin, hard plastic. It just covers the back of the phone, not the screen, and really I don't see how it protects the phone at all. It looks and feels pretty but that's about all. I keep it on the phone at all times.

I haven't damaged my phone, or even had a close call, so apparently that is all that I need.

If I ruined my phone, it would not cost much to replace it.

Love my new phone. :smitten:

I got my first and only smartphone a year ago, and it's been in its Otter box since day 1. A hidden benefit is that the spring-loaded belt clip on the case can be locked open like a tripod leg so the machine can stand by itself. Makes it easy to Skype hands-free.

It has collected some grunge beneath the transparent cover, but I don't even know how to remove the case to clean it.

Ha! I was stopped while going through security in Montreal a couple of years ago. They searched and searched, had some printout of something- no idea what they were looking for. Then they told me to take my phone out of the case so they could examine it. I told them I don't know how!! (that's what kids are for:))

They let me go, guess if I can't take my phone out of the case, they figured I wasn't a threat!

We're fans of Speck cases.

I have a Spigen case for my Nexus 6P. It's low cost and very nice to feel. Looks good too.

I believe you only really need to protect from drops hitting on the edge of the case. I've never used a screen protector. But I've not dropped my phones ... yet.

My iPhone 6 resides in a Smiphee battery case. So if I run out of / low on battery power, I depress the button and have another totally full charge.

Rich

I have an inexpensive case. I did have one iphone that I never put a case on. I did have the screen shatter when I dropped it on the side. One reason I like my case is that I put one of those sleeves on the back that holds credit card and drivers license....I guess I could put that directly on the back of the phone. I may find out when I get the new iPhone. That is, not sure I will get a case....

Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. Evutec AER Carbon slimline case. TechArmor ballistic glass screen protector.

Not an apple user here so my phone doesn't need an insurance policy. However, I did buy a very nice cross body purse with a middle pocket that perfectly allows me to slip in my phone and access it easily while holding it snug to carry around. A case would make it bulky and probably not fit as well. Never had a case in a bazillion years of owning phones and only ever broke a screen once, on a phone that was already a few years old at the time.

My iPhone X is in an Otterbox case, as was my old iPhone 5. Great protection and the wireless charger still charges through the case.

I have a very slim case which I think cost $8 for my Galaxy S7, and so does DW. They seem to be pretty durable. Millennial son has an otterbox for his iPhone 8. He keeps it pristine, unlike how a lot of youngs seem to treat their phones.

You really do not need screen protectors with Gorilla glass.

Having said that, our technicians tell us the iPhone screens crack far more than other makers. Thus a strong case makes sense IMHO.

Also we do not buy the insurance which is a terrible deal. Just take care of the phone.

I use a leather wallet type case for my Pixel 2 XL. It works for me. Place to keep cash, drivers permit and credit card.

I use one of these ....

2 credit cards and driver’s license... and the thickness acts to protect the phone. it’s thicker but eliminates carrying a wallet. All insurance cards are electronic...

61KUxKGhWsL._SX569_.jpg

I paid $400 for a OnePlus 3T and spent another $30 for the stock OnePlus kevlar-style case. It protects the back and sides without adding much weight or bulk to the device. I also use a magnetic dash mount in the car, so the metal disk fits snugly between the phone and the inside of the back of the case. I also use a tempered glass screen protector, which fits well with this case. I'm pretty careful with my phone. Even though it's 2 years old, I'm pretty sure I could sell it on Swappa for $300+ in "mint" condition. There's not a mark on it anywhere due to the case and screen protector.

Not only do I have a case - it's a book type or folio type leather case (so a leather cover folds over the screen). I knew I wanted something to cover the screen so I could drop it in a pocket or purse without worrying about anything pressing the screen.

But I also added a wrist strap to it! The wrist strap comes in very handy. I mainly added it for traveling through famous pickpocket areas, but it also is nice in any situation where I'm afraid to drop it, like taking pictures on a balcony or bridge or from a boat.

I have an iPhone SE, so it's small, even with the case.

It's sort of like this (before my adding the wrist strap): https://www.cellphonecases.com/Appl...uUdUvOjpLsxth1R7P7hoCNRoQAvD_BwE#.W5sMrkyZPdR

Last edited:
I have this case. I went with no case for awhile and I liked it a lot. However, it was my work iPhone and I didn’t care if I dropped it. I did drop it a couple times, but never broke the screen. I bought the case below as it was one of the thinnest I could find with good ratings. What I never use is a screen protector. The case is lifted just enough that it protects the screed against a drop, unless it fell directly on something raised like a rock on the ground. As for scratches, I’ve never scratched the screen and it is way easier to clean and better to look at without a screen protector.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid iPhone 6S Case with Air Cushion Technology and Hybrid Drop Protection for iPhone 6S 2015 - Crystal Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MVJNTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9RMMBbNEXYCRZ

I had one of these on my iPhone6 for three years. I loved it. You could barely tell it was there. I dropped the phone a few times with no damage. After 3 yrs the case was getting worn so I replaced it with the same model. The new one started separating after 6 months. It has a hard back panel and soft material on the edge. I thought I paid a lot more. Guess I will get another one for my new phone but I did also get insurance for $3/month.

Not only do I have a case - it's a book type or folio type leather case (so a leather cover folds over the screen). I knew I wanted something to cover the screen so I could drop it in a pocket or purse without worrying about anything pressing the screen.

But I also added a wrist strap to it! The wrist strap comes in very handy. I mainly added it for traveling through famous pickpocket areas, but it also is nice in any situation where I'm afraid to drop it, like taking pictures on a balcony or bridge or from a boat.

I have an iPhone SE, so it's small, even with the case.

It's sort of like this (before my adding the wrist strap): https://www.cellphonecases.com/Appl...uUdUvOjpLsxth1R7P7hoCNRoQAvD_BwE#.W5sMrkyZPdR

If you enable Find My iPhone on it, that iPhone will be of no use to whoever steals or finds it, unless they get your iCloud password.

They won't be able to use it at all.

I use an Otterbox Defender, because I drop my phone a lot.

I have a case that has a cover that folds over the screen like a book so I can slip it in my purse without any concern of scratching the screen. I also have a protective screen cover.
Without a case of any sort, I definitely would drop the phone a LOT because they are slippery!

Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. Evutec AER Carbon slimline case. TechArmor ballistic glass screen protector.

The S8 is my first smartphone and I was concerned about dropping and breaking it. I wanted an Otterbox or similar hard case with a glass screen protector but was told at Best Buy that there was no screen that adequately fit the S8 glass curvature. So I settled for a plastic film screen and a leather wallet type case similar to sheehs1's and audreyh1's case. It has worked out okay as I've dropped the phone only a few times and just a few feet. And since I also carry my phone in my purse, scratching the screen would probably be more of an issue than dropping it.

Last edited:
I got $5 cases for our phones from Amazon, that come with belt clips/holsters, I use the belt clips sometimes.

I've dropped my phone a few times, no damage even dropping onto concrete, so the $5 was worth it.

I use an Otterbox Defender, because I drop my phone a lot.
That’s what I have for my iPhone 6+. Though it increases the bulk, it still fits in my pants pockets, fortunately men’s pockets are large enough. I’m guessing it wouldn’t fit in a woman’s front pocket, so it’s back pocket or purse/bag?

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who has no Smart Phone. For a while, I was the only one. Glad to have some company.

Back
Top Bottom