Poll:Do You Have Your Smartphone in a Case?

Do You Have Your Smartphone in a Protective Case?

• No, I use my smartphone as is, no case of any kind.

Votes: 28 15.7%
  • Yes, my smartphone is in its case most if not all the time.

Votes: 142 79.8%
  • I don’t have a smartphone.

Votes: 8 4.5%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We really like our iPhones, and we’d like to use them as is but they’re so “slippery” we would expect to drop and damage them - so we have third party cases (Otterbox & Kate Spade). I saw a video yesterday with someone famous who doesn’t use a case (iPhone X) and says you can learn to handle a smartphone without fear of dropping it, and he said he never has.

You?

Edit: I dropped my iPhone once, but luckily I was on carpet so no damage. DW dropped her iPhone on concrete (in our garage) once and the screen appeared to be destroyed, cracked all over. BUT we also have screen protectors and it was only the screen protector that was destroyed. The iPhone was not damaged. Whew!

Would we be more careful if we didn’t have cases? Who knows...

Last edited:
Apropos. I bought a new Google Pixel 2XL about two weeks ago and my cover came in the post from Amazon yesterday.

I sadly lost my Nexus 5 to dropping so I want to protect this new one.

Weirdly, I had never dropped any of my smartphones. Ever. And I dropped the Nexus 5 twice in six months. I got the screen replaced the first time but didn't bother the second time.

Take your pick: safe or clean?

I got my first and only smartphone a year ago, and it's been in its Otter box since day 1. A hidden benefit is that the spring-loaded belt clip on the case can be locked open like a tripod leg so the machine can stand by itself. Makes it easy to Skype hands-free.

It has collected some grunge beneath the transparent cover, but I don't even know how to remove the case to clean it.

Last edited:
I got a soft, slim Cimo case for my Moto, bought on Amazon. I couldn't stand to have a thick Otterbox in my pocket or running pack. I've dropped my phone a few times with no damage at all. The case has just enough thickness that as long as it dropped on a flat surface it will hit the case corner(s), not the phone.

I don't use a phone case. I paid $40 for my Moto E4. The retail price of the Otterbox for an E4 is about $30. The math doesn't work for me. :)

I have one of the cheapest phone cases. I have dropped my phone a couple of times with no damage. I couldn't stand to have one the the thicker phone cases in my pocket all of the time.

I have this case. I went with no case for awhile and I liked it a lot. However, it was my work iPhone and I didn’t care if I dropped it. I did drop it a couple times, but never broke the screen. I bought the case below as it was one of the thinnest I could find with good ratings. What I never use is a screen protector. The case is lifted just enough that it protects the screed against a drop, unless it fell directly on something raised like a rock on the ground. As for scratches, I’ve never scratched the screen and it is way easier to clean and better to look at without a screen protector.

Spigen Ultra Hybrid iPhone 6S Case with Air Cushion Technology and Hybrid Drop Protection for iPhone 6S 2015 - Crystal Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010MVJNTK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9RMMBbNEXYCRZ

My current phone isn't in a case nor does it have a screen protector.
However, I used to have all my phones in a case plus a screen protector to obviously protect against drops and scratches since phones are so darn expensive. I also used to hand my phones down to the missus.

Although necessary, I generally dislike cases because I find they make the phone too bulky for my liking. So, for my current phone, I ended up buying a metal bumper guard that just went around the phone. However, it seemed to cause reception problems with the phone so I ditched it and never bought a replacement case. It's taken about 5 drops over about 3 years and doesn't seem too worse for wear other than some scuffs along the edges/corners. The screen has a few minor scratches that aren't noticeable unless you look for them.

But I'm in the market for a new phone and am definitely going to buy a case and screen protector for it.

I got a soft, slim Cimo case for my Moto, bought on Amazon. I couldn't stand to have a thick Otterbox in my pocket or running pack. I've dropped my phone a few times with no damage at all. The case has just enough thickness that as long as it dropped on a flat surface it will hit the case corner(s), not the phone.
Sounds like mine, though I don't recall the brand. It is "rubbery" and textured enough to provide a good grip (reducing the chance of dropping the phone in the first place) and provides cushion and a small raised lip around the screen that seems to do a good job of protecting the phone.

I tried a belt clip with a holster that covered the screen, but it was too much bulk and bother. I keep the phone in my pocket now, and have never damaged a phone in 4 years of carrying it like this. I do have a transparent stick-on screen protector.

Last edited:
When not in use, I have smartphone in both a protective case and carrying holster.

We always get cases for our smartphones. They are too fragile and repair / replacement is too costly. Same for the iPad. Currently we are using Incipio cases. We also use screen protectors. I think they are less useful, but they are also less costly, so it's not a big deal.

We both have Alcatel smartphones. DW found inexpensive cases at Walmart.The cases also have a little storage slots for small papers.

Bought a used iphone 5S in early 2016 and shopped cases. Ended up getting this one from a Chinese gentleman named Pierre Cardin: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pie...f9a3-4619-ba55-f0ba0abb7f63&priceBeautifyAB=0

It is slippery, slides in and out of my pants pocket well and has aged well; the leather is now a darker brown. I have a glass screen protector and have dropped the phone a few times but only dinged the corner of the case. Well pleased with the minimal nature.

Sounds like mine, though I don't recall the brand. It is "rubbery" and textured enough to provide a good grip (reducing the chance of dropping the phone in the first place) and provides cushion and a small raised lip around the screen that seems to do a good job of protecting the phone.

+1

I also have a thin clear screen protector which I only need to change about every 6 mos.

I always have Otterbox case. It helps my hand grip the phone better, otherwise I would definitely drop it often.

I don't use a phone case. I paid $40 for my Moto E4. The retail price of the Otterbox for an E4 is about $30. The math doesn't work for me. :)

You can find psuedo-Otterboxes on Ebay for about $7 delivered (that's what I use for my E4).

Remember- it's not what you paid that matters, it's what it will cost to replace that does

Last edited:

I have the same type...rubbery, thin, and works perfectly fine. I don't like bulky cases and have never used a screen protector.

I get cheap cases from Amazon. I think I paid $10for the one I have on my iPhone 8 Plus.

Always used cases for the grip and extra features like slots for cards to have handy.

Never paid more than about $25 at most.

iPhone 8. Spigen, black thin case. Glass type screen protector.

Both bought from eBay for not much $.

Having dropped and cracked the screen on my w*ork iPhone twice, when I retired and bought my own I wanted protection.

Moshi slim case and the thin glass screen protector.

I have dropped it a few times, with no damage to the phone.

You can find psuedo-Otterboxes on Ebay for about $7 delivered (that's what I use for my E4).

Remember- it's not what you paid that matters, it's what it will cost to replace that does

You also need to consider the probability of damaging it, and the cost of insurance (i.e., phone case). I prefer to self insure affordable items.

This is so weird to me. I've never had a case. I just find them all too ugly to consider seriously...

I guess I also don't drop my phone.

And, to me, "cost" includes the hassle of dealing with a broken phone. Possibly lost data, transferring contacts/data, being without a phone for some period of time, shopping for a new phone, learning how to do the old tasks on a new phone/OS version, etc. I want my phone to soldier on until I decide I want a new one and can do the transition with minimal hassle on my own schedule.

Tumi hard leather case...good grip as well as slots in the flap. Also has a screen protector.

Back
Top Bottom