• No

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • Who cares

Votes: 11 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Would a two to three week government shutdown bother you? News says it is 6 days away, but most likely won't happen. A prolonged shutdown maybe, but for a couple of weeks, I don't think it would have much effect on us.

Would a two to three week government shutdown bother you? News says it is 6 days away, but most likely won't happen. A prolonged shutdown maybe, but for a couple of weeks, I don't think it would have much effect on us.
I wonder if it would delay tax returns. I got my state, but not supposed to get federal until March 8:(.

It depends on the length of the shutdown, and what services get affected.

Will they send bureaucrats home, or more likely intentionally choose some agencies that would be missed the most by the public? A friend reminded me that at the last shutdown that occurred, they closed the Grand Canyon. How much did the Park Rangers get paid anyway, compared to these clowns in the country's capital city?

I just looked on the Web, and found this excerpt attributed to McCain (a US Senator from Arizona).

In my State of Arizona, during the Government shutdown the Grand Canyon was closed for the first time in 76 years. I heard from people who worked close to the Grand Canyon. These were not Government employees. These were independent small business men and women.

They told me that the shutdown cost them thousands of dollars because people could not go to the park. According to a CRS report, local communities near national parks alone lost an estimated $14.2 million per day in tourism revenues as a direct result of the Government shutdown, for a total of nearly $400 million over the course of the shutdown. The cost of the last Government shutdown cannot be measured in just dollars and cents...

There was a complete government shut-down back in the early 90's, I think, or maybe before. I'm sure that some here remember it, as did my federal co-workers although it was before my time. They thought it was no big deal. So, I tend to agree.

Not sure I would notice it here in hills of Western PA.

A government shutdown is another expense we don't need. Federal employees are back-paid after the fact. It causes unnecessary expenses dealing with the whole ordeal. The reality is necessary functions go on. It's all just so dang political and detracts from what our elected representatives should really be focusing on.

Some might think shutting down the Govt is like turning a light switch to save electricity, but that's a very naive view. These continuing resolutions are very expensive. Visit a Federal department's budget office some time, and you'll see how much extra work it causes, at extra cost to taxpayers! As for a shutdown saving money - who are we kidding? Building leases, electricity, water, and contracts with non-payment penalty clauses must still be paid. The many civilians and govt contractors who are working overseas, can't just be flown home en masse.

Amethyst

A government shutdown is another expense we don't need. Federal employees are back-paid after the fact. It causes unnecessary expenses dealing with the whole ordeal. The reality is necessary functions go on. It's all just so dang political and detracts from what our elected representatives should really be focusing on.

Well, I work for the federal government & would be happy to get a short vacation. Unfortunately, my agency & more specifically my particular job most likely would be deemed one of those that has to keep working anyway. They're not going to shutdown ongoing multi-gazillion dollar defense contracts. The stuff I work with is considered high-priority and although I wasn't doing this same job last time a shutdown occurred (1995), those who were told me they never missed a day or a paycheck. My boss said I shouldn't make other plans for a trip to vegas or anything.

It probably won't happen until the second week in April while we're visiting DC and doing all the touristy stuff.

It's all just so dang political and detracts from what our elected representatives should really be focusing on.

The short-term effects don't concern me much. But I voted yes because I think a shutdown will add to the political rancor between the congress and the White House. It would be a bad omen for anything worthwhile being accomplished in the next 2 years.

There was a government shutdown during January of 1996 as I had to leave the country on business on and the passport offices were closed. I went on my trip using my old passport and birth certificate.

When I returned the customs agent told me my passport was expired. I told him that his passport office was closed.
He just smiled and waved me on and called the next in line.
I don't expect that a government shut down will last that long or be that disruptive.

I would have loved to get a shutdown vacation when I was working. My agency was not subject to the shutdown since they generate revenues and the function would be considered critical.

There is an article in my Sunday paper about a shutdown and it suggests that only about 1 out of 4 government workers would be sent home if it happens.

25% of civilian Federal employees = ~ 500,000 people.

"not subject to the shutdown" = made to work for no pay (granted, it will be paid back later).

Amethyst

I would have loved to get a shutdown vacation when I was working. My agency was not subject to the shutdown since they generate revenues and the function would be considered critical.

There is an article in my Sunday paper about a shutdown and it suggests that only about 1 out of 4 government workers would be sent home if it happens.

I can think of a few parts of it that should shutdown permanently! ;)

No argument there -- could be said of any big organization anywhere.

Amethyst

I can think of a few parts of it that should shutdown permanently! ;)

Back
Top Bottom