Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: To what age do you expect to live?
60 or before 2 0.98%
65 2 0.98%
70 8 3.90%
75 24 11.71%
80 34 16.59%
85 78 38.05%
90 or more 57 27.80%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

95. Moms side has terrific longevity. Mom is 96 1/2 and going strong living alone. Her mom dies at 96. Dad on the other hand died of heart attack at 65. But he smoked and didn't exercise and had high cholesterol. So planning on 95 since I think I'm genetically on my moms side. Would be very happy to wake up dead around 90 though.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

May be the better question is to what age do you expect to live a healthy and fully functional life

Old 11-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Honestly I can't imagine that our relatively wealthy ER Forum members wouldn't live longer than average.
Also, File:Causes of death by age group (percent).png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And:
File:Causes of death by age group.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Everyone here survived childhood and the dangerous young drivers phase, and I think most aren't in a gang turf war or live in dangerous areas (gun deaths). That shifts the average a bit to the older side by a few years.

After that, if you don't smoke (less prevalent in more wealthy individuals) or worked in a coal mine you can almost remove the yellow line (COPD), again adds a bit. Same for lung cancer.

After that, it's either cardiovascular, cancer (all types) or alzheimers. Note that you end up in a pretty narrow range of life span by then.
https://gravityandlevity.files.wordp...ng?w=600&h=216

If you look at death tables from the past few years (can't find the stats right now) you'll also see that the average life span kept increasing the last few decades, but the maximum lifespan not so much.

So 85 average for this forum actually seems more or less right, if not slightly pessimistic.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #64

Following along Totoro's path, note that the Society of Actuaries released an update of its mortality tables last month. At age 65, Males, on average, can expect 86.4. Females, 88.8. http://online.wsj.com/articles/risin...nds-1414430683 (I wonder if the various life expectancy calculators have included these numbers yet? The one of the SoA site hasn't even done so as of this morning.)

You put the M/F numbers together and For upper-middle-class couples age 65 today, there’s a 43% chance that one or both will survive to at least age 95, according to the 2014 Tables of the Society of Actuaries. Life Expectancy: How to Prepare Financially for a Long Life

Finally, it is probably (on average) pertinent to this forum, the members of which seem to be pretty educated (by schooling and/or life) that both additional years of education and higher income add noticeably to life expectancy. This Brookings Report from April gets fairly deep into it using SSA data, which enabled them to attempt separating the impact of those two factors (particularly in the appended tables). http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/res..._version_2.pdf

As the Brookings report concluded: Our analysis of the mortality experience of participants in the HRS shows a strong pattern of increasing differential mortality in which life expectancy is rising for those at the top of the distribution of individuals ranked by alternative measures of socio-economic status, but it is stagnate or declining for those at the bottom
Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #65

I love academia-speak:

Quote:
Our analysis of the mortality experience of participants in the HRS shows a strong pattern of increasing differential mortality in which life expectancy is rising for those at the top of the distribution of individuals ranked by alternative measures of socio-economic status, but it is stagnate or declining for those at the bottom
Also known as: Rich people live longer.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 AM   #66

Totoro,

Yeah, your summation is pithier!

The thing that will likely never be 100% nailed down is which is causing which? (Probably goes both ways, if I had to make a guess. On average, health definitely assists in gaining wealth/education. And wealth/education helps maintain health and longevity.)
Old 11-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
May be the better question is to what age do you expect to live a healthy and fully functional life
Agree with that. Heck, doesn't even need to be fully functional. (Just reasonably)

An interesting tidbit of info I ran across recently said that according to the Office for National Statistic, they believe that 1/3 of the babes born in the UK in 2013 will live to be 100. I'm not sure why the UK was mentioned and not other countries.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
according to the Office for National Statistics, they believe that 1/3 of the babes born in the UK in 2013 will live to be 100. I'm not sure why the UK was mentioned and not other countries.
Because it's a UK government organization?
Old 11-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Because it's a UK government organization?
You got it
Old 11-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
... according to the Office for National Statistic, they believe that 1/3 of the babes born in the UK in 2013 will live to be 100...
Oh, poor babies! They will have to work till 80, when they can retire. If they get off at 70, that's ER for them.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #71

Dad died at 72 from hypertension. I'm on meds for blood pressure since I was 33 - it's genetic. So I always assumed early 70s. But medicine is better than it was, and my much older brother is 73 now. So I'm keeping an eye on him. He's more like our mom, though, and she lived to 80...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #72
Administrator

Evidently, people really suck at predicting how long they'll live. You’ll probably live much longer than you think you will - The Washington Post
Old 11-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #73

I don't really know, no biological basis to go from, so I personally figure 80, but plan the finances to 95 for DW, and will be happy be around after 80