Poll: Peanut Butter

Which peanut butter is your favorite? Jelly or no jelly? Check as many as you wish.

• Smooth

Votes: 71 40.8%
  • Crunchy

Votes: 86 49.4%
  • natural/organic, the kind that separates

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • With jelly

Votes: 51 29.3%
  • Without jelly

Votes: 46 26.4%
  • I don't like peanut butter!

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • None of these choices apply for me.

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
When we lived in England, I learned that English people do not like peanut butter and consider it odd. Then again, they eat baked beans on toast, which sounds odd to an American. So it is all very much a matter of what you are used to.

Peanut butter is an American phenomenon. Following is a sample list of a few countries that do not eat peanut butter, and I would say they are the norm and not the exception.

You Won't Believe How Hard It Is To Find Peanut Butter In These Countries

What's the origin of peanut butter? It was invented at the end of 19th century, but did not become popular until the Great Depression.

The History of Peanut Butter

My local supermarket has two grinders available, one with a bin full of peanuts, the other with almonds.

You stick a plastic tub under the spout and hit the button to grind as much peanut or almond butter as you like into the tub, then weight and label it.

Pure peanuts or almonds, nothing else. Fantastic stuff.

It had better have peanuts and salt and nothing else. Preferably organic. I don't want no sweeteners or partially hydrogenated crap to keep it from separating.

Favorite - Sata Cruz Dark Roast Crunchy.

I do wonder about the bolded part with regard to increased aflatoxin exposure*.
I used to make my own PB from raw Valencia/Spanish peanuts that I then roasted and ran through a Champion juicer , good stuff.... until the peanuts disappeared from the local shelves with the explanation of peanut allergy liability(?). Now it is Trader Joe's regular smooth.

Organic crops which are not treated with fungicides may be more susceptible to contamination with aflatoxins.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aflatoxin

Last edited:
Smooth. I do go the PB&J route as well but my 'J' is for Jam rather than Jelly and would be happy to have preserves as well as my fruit spread.

Reminds me of a trip I went on once, a Mystery Bus Trip. Never again, probably because if you knew where they were taking you, you'd stay at home. We toured a peanut butter factory, a whistle factory, a soap factory, a post office, can't remember the rest. Also went to some legion hall for a meal and entertainment. It was a woman midget paying the accordion. And she liked polka music. Apparently this is all Columbus Ohio had to offer us at the time. A long way to go for nothing.

I prefer Mr. Jiff crunchy on apples and also on waffles with other mixed nuts added in for extra crunchiness.

Peanut butter and beer? I've heard of attempts by home brewers, but the oils kill the head (and can interfere with 'forced' carbonation by forming a CO2 barrier at the surface). I think there is some kind of de-fatted peanut grist available, but that just sounds wrong.

-ERD50

There's stuff called PB2 that's powdered peanut butter...all the PB without the oil. My PB beer was not too good, but there's a commercial one called "Sweet Baby Jesus" that's supposed to be like a Reese's Cup. Those kinds of beers aren't close enough to beer for me, though.

My favorite sandwhich:

Peanut Butter, Jelly (Jalapeno if available), pickles, and Cholula on toasted bread.

cd :O)

I like crunchy peanut butter (only peanuts and salt) spread on whole grain toast with a dollop of bitter orange marmalade. I also enjoy almond butter.

One of my favorites, peanut butter burgers! Nice burger topped with peanut butter, any kind, with some toppings. Bacon, onion and maybe a little mayo and ketchup.

I had one in front of a guy who wouldn't try new foods. No idea what I said but he orders one for lunch, next week he wants one every day.:D

Back
Top Bottom