Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Is relocation (at least 100 miles) part of your retirement plan?
I/we moved and/or bought a second home in retirement (ie,snowbirds). 36 25.53%
I/we fully intend to move or buy a second home in retirement, but haven't done it yet. 41 29.08%
I/We haven't moved and don't plan to, happy where we are. 39 27.66%
I/We just don't know yet, or my answer isn't an option. 25 17.73%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Retire and relocation
Old 03-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Poll: Retire and relocation

I searched but surprisingly didn't see this poll. Only one I found was reasons to relocate from 2007, so why not a new poll.

The 100 mile caveat is meant to target those who physically moved to a new community vs those who may have just built a new home in much the same area.

If you moved before (or of course after) retirement as par of the plan, I'd consider that option 1. The poll was not meant to exclude folks who moved in advance, as long as it was consciously part of retiring.

Enough disclaimers?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've looked at Salida Colorado: fun in the summer and head south dring the cold months. We love the mountains

Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
We've looked at Salida Colorado: fun in the summer and head south dring the cold months. We love the mountains
We rented a house in Salida for a month in April/May, 2010. Absolutely loved it. The locals told us that the winters aren't too bad since Salida is in the "Banana Belt". However, our house and most others had a snow shovel leaning against a side wall. Anywhere that needs a snow shovel does not fit my definition of a "banana belt".

When we ER'ed we moved close to our son, which is also a town that is great for walking and cycling and has nice mild winters. We go north for the summers and currently have no fixed location where we spend the summers.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

We moved. We lived in NY, that's a place for working people. Way too expensive for no earned income folks like us.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm in the "I/We haven't moved and don't plan to, happy where we are" category, but we built and moved into our retirement home (outside the city where we worked) in 1998, seven years before I pulled the plug.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #6

The old homestead has been in the family for over 100 years, and I plan on living out all the rest of my days on it too! When my Dad and Grandad built a new house for my Grandparents on some adjoining land, we moved into the old homestead....I was 1 year old. So I've spent the first 54 of my 55 years here....and will continue do so!
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I voted "happy where I am" because, although I have moved to what I hope will be my ER location, I intend to continue to work for some years yet.

Here is a birds' eye view:

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interesting that buying a second home (such as a snowbird home) is considered moving (option #1 or #2), but buying an RV and being away for several months a year isn't. Perhaps OP's intention is to differentiate between folks who wanted to travel significantly each year (RV'er) and those who wanted to live in some other specific local each year (snow birder)?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

We moved about 60 miles...I still work part time (DH fully retired) at the same place but we moved from one county to another. Except for my work all of our shopping and places we go has changed.

We did think about relocating even to another state, but family considerations really caused us not to do that. All of our family is in this state and we just didn't want to move that far away from them.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I have a vacation home that we both clearly plan on turning into our retirement home as soon as we can pull it off. It is slightly less than the 100 miles away you specify. We go there on weekends and vacations whenever we can (fairly often) and pretend we are already ERed.

Our very-clear objective as to where we live (low-cost area and will be paid for by ER) and the strong and common desire to live a simpler life is the cornerstone of our retirement plan.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Interesting that buying a second home (such as a snowbird home) is considered moving (option #1 or #2), but buying an RV and being away for several months a year isn't. Perhaps OP's intention is to differentiate between folks who wanted to travel significantly each year (RV'er) and those who wanted to live in some other specific local each year (snow birder)?
I was indeed trying to separate relocation (starting over in a different community) from (serial) travel, but frankly I didn't think of RVers, nothing intentional. Buying a second home would be starting over in a new community IMO (provided it wasn't just a vacation home for several weeks/year), even if only half the year or so.

My track record building flawed polls is still intact...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Administrator

I voted "I/we just don't know yet".

After Hurricane Katrina we had planned to move to Springfield, Missouri in 2010 (soon after retirement), and even put our houses on the market in late 2010 with no immediate success. Then a year ago we took our houses off the market and decided to wait and reconsider in about five years.

I am happy here for now, the way things are right at this moment. I even decided that maybe I can deal with the hurricanes. I guess the awful memories are fading with time. However I am still concerned about crime and if it gets any worse, we may be inspired to move.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I voted "don't know yet". We have to wait until DW retires in a couple of years, or so. We live in Denver, but our short list includes Prescot, AZ, Albuquerque, and Colorado Springs (less snow than Denver and less costly).
Old 03-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
We moved about 60 miles...I still work part time (DH fully retired) at the same place but we moved from one county to another. Except for my work all of our shopping and places we go has changed.
Where I'm from, 60 miles is coast to coast, and the change in accent is so dramatic, it could turn out to be traumatic
Old 03-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I love these polls. Now I just need to figure out how to create one. Currently, we live in cold WI (although I'd call it mild WI this year) and I've always dreamed of living in a climate where I could go for walks year round without a winter coat and hat. We're looking at South Carolina as a possible retirement destination.

Packman, my cousin just purchased their retirement home in Prescott, AZ and they love it! He won't be retiring soon but decided to buy while the market is down and now he gets to use the home during the hot Phoenix summers (where they live now).
Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We moved. We lived in NY, that's a place for working people. Way too expensive for no earned income folks like us.
Yup, I left work in NY at 12Noon on Dec 1st 2006 and by 4:30PM I was in Florida. I couldn't wait to get outta Dodge.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

If all works out, I will get to telework from any location I want, so I will be able to pick a spot I'd also be fine retiring in, so I will not need to move.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #18

we will be moving in retirement just don't know where to yet.

We moved from Dallas to Henderson, NV to try out the desert. We both really miss 'weather' (rain and thunderstorms specifically) so Henderson won't be our final retirement location.

We have Tucson and central Florida on the short list. Tucson, while dry, has amazing monsoons and DH loves to cruise, so we'd be able to take lots of cheap last-minute cruises from Florida...and Florida definitely has weather!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
I love these polls. Now I just need to figure out how to create one.
Have a look here for instructions on how to create a poll.

FYI, having the word "Poll:" at the start of the title is useful for doing searches for past polls.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Where I'm from, 60 miles is coast to coast, and the change in accent is so dramatic, it could turn out to be traumatic
Sixty miles in Texas is nothing, I agree.

My old residence in Baton Rouge was 66 miles from my new one in New Orleans, but the difference in culture, accent, and more was tremendous. I had moved from a sedate community with a more or less homogenous population that is a good place to raise kids, to an edgy, artsy, singles-friendly, historic city filled with some of the most fascinating characters you can imagine. As for accents, I doubt that many outside NOLA could understand the extreme yat accents of some of my friends here.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote