Poll: Self-Driving Cars

Are you looking forward to self-driving cars?

• Yes, once the technology makes them at least 80% safer and 20% less costly

Votes: 52 65.0%
  • No, you'll pry my car from my cold, dead hands

Votes: 28 35.0%

• Total voters
Darn, somebody always has a simpler solution. :)

One question that has bothered me from the beginning of conversations about self-driving cars. My understanding is that auto insurance companies are all over this. I see the short term interest, i.e., people cause accidents. But longer term, I don't need any insurance other than loss or damage (the tree fell on my car in the driveway). If I am not driving, then the liability is all Ford's or Google's or whomever. In which case, just exactly how does the auto insurance industry take their slice?

I guess they don't. Why should it bother you? Watch the introduction of the autonomous cars, and start shorting insurance companies. :)

Short answer: They likely won't take their slice of the leftovers, and are frantically trying to figure out what to do. Which is why they are all over it. It's a great time to be a management consultant for insurance companies.

Big problems, no solutions and deep pockets. The perfect client.

One question that has bothered me from the beginning of conversations about self-driving cars. My understanding is that auto insurance companies are all over this. I see the short term interest, i.e., people cause accidents. But longer term, I don't need any insurance other than loss or damage (the tree fell on my car in the driveway). If I am not driving, then the liability is all Ford's or Google's or whomever. In which case, just exactly how does the auto insurance industry take their slice?

Negligence because you didn't take it in for service and the car failed catastrophically? Oh wait, nevermind, the car will take itself in for service. And automatically deduct from your bank account.

This is making me nervous.

No, the car most likely refuses to budge until you authorize the maintenance service. It then sneaks out at night, so as not to inconvenience you, to go to the dealer to have its sensor calibrations verified, adjustments made, etc... So, why are you nervous?

Oh, you are afraid of the bills! No problem. I am sure there will be tax incentive programs to help. ;)

Here's a compromise. The computer can let you drive, but will override you if you do something unsafe. Aircraft with fly-by-wire technology have this feature for a while. For example, if the pilot pulls up sharply and go in a climb that can cause the aircraft to stall, the computer will ease down the maneuver. It will not let the pilot kill himself.

Aw, does that mean no more airliner barrel rolls?

Tex Johnson doing a barrel roll in a Boeing 707:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...CF706BDC0E418C7E6A8CCF706BDC0E418C7&FORM=VIRE

There are many interesting articles online, here's one How driverless cars could negatively affect the insurance industry - Business Insider. Search for many more.

Aw, does that mean no more airliner barrel rolls?

Tex Johnson doing a barrel roll in a Boeing 707:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...CF706BDC0E418C7E6A8CCF706BDC0E418C7&FORM=VIRE

I recall a more recent incidence, where the pilot of a cargo DC-10 did an intentional inverted flight to thwart the attempt of a passenger to murder him and the other two crew members then to crash into the ground to commit suicide. The pilot did that while having his skull broken with a hammer by the assailant. No video available, of course.

My son flies RC planes, and he particularly likes models of biplanes. He modified his Sopwith Camel to add ailerons (the model plane only has rudder), but could not get it to roll over to inverted position. :D I don't know if the real thing could either.

Back
Top Bottom