Post a Picture of your Favorite Coffee Cup

The weird thing is my wife does not even drink. She said that it was for the benefits of our guests.

Hmm... Is she a gracious host, or is she a hoarder? Lemme think about it for a bit.

These threads have made me realize just how much simple enjoyment I get from those various coffee mugs we have. I'll try to get some pics later...

Eh, my wife has the same belief expressed by ERD50 in the thread that spawned this one. That is beverages have to be consumed from the right cup or glasses.

Some of that is based on function, the narrow champagne flutes help to hold the carbonation, and you can see the bubbles longer. Long stems keep warm hands from the cooler wine styles, while a snifter lets body heat get to the liqueur. Some is historic, some is questionable benefit (I'm not sure I buy the idea that different wine glasses affect your perception by directing it to different parts of your tongue, but I wouldn't rule it out). But it is kinda fun - it's all part of the enjoyment for some of us.

Beer geeks get into their glassware. I'm building a collection, I guess I need a stange (long, thin, cylindrical 0.2 litre glass) for the few times I drink Kölsch ( I should brew one next).

Another history thing with glassware and beer - it isn't co-incidence that clear, lighter colored lagers (Pilsners) were first made popular in Czechoslovakia. That was where clear glass was first made cheap enough for the commoners. Before that, they drank their beer from pewter or stoneware (German Stein=stone) - so who cares if the beer is cloudy if you can't see it?

The weird thing is my wife does not even drink. She said that it was for the benefits of our guests.

Hmm... Is she a gracious host, or is she a hoarder? Lemme think about it for a bit.

Gracious host, no doubt about it. And I'm the overbearing host, who berates guests for grabbing the wrong glass for their drink behind my back, or heaven forbid, drinking any quality beer from the bottle!

-ERD50

Oh boy! Now, I am afraid I made my wife look as picky as Martha Stewart (I have not watched her show, but I read somewhere that she is). Anyway, my wife just likes the shapes of different glasses and wants to have them, I think.

Well, there's that one time when she gave me a hard time for pouring wine into a plastic cup...

I never drink beer from the bottle. I don't even drink non-quality beer straight from a can.

But that is for a practical reason. When I tilt my head back to drink out of the bottle, it gives me a hiccup. Never fails. So, I have to pour it out onto a cup or a glass.

Last edited:
Earlier, I said that I had no favorite coffee mug. Upon reflection, I realized that was not true. I drink coffee out of the same cup everyday, and if I misplaced it the day before, I would have to hunt it down for my morning coffee.

So, I do have a favorite cup. I am a creature of habit like anyone else. Yes, if I break it, I would move on to the next one, but only after cursing for a while. And I am not that bad a serial cup breaker, and a cup would stay with me for 10 years at least. And while I use it, it is mine. My wife has her own cup, and we do not even switch.

Without further ado, here's my favorite cup. For a while, my wife traveled for work often to an IBM plant there in Almaden, and that's how she got the cup as gift. I really like the black exterior/white interior. The white really sets off the coffee inside when filled. A lot of time, I like something, but if asked, I have to think about why.

I would be reluctant to show the mugs that I myself got in my work. They are commemorative of projects that are obscure and defunct, and some lurkers here might recognize them.

ERD50, you might be on to something here. There's a visual effect to the food and drink that we consume. But it does not have to cost an arm and a leg. Heck, in my case, the cup is free.

img_1225272_0_1f412f1b4ccc0a44d79f0a29e98eb83f.jpg

Last edited:
I have a correction to make.

After telling the world about my wife's peculiar love of glasses, I really wondered how many we really have. So, I went look in the cabinets in the dining room and living room to see how many glasses we really had. These do not have glass doors at the lower shelves, hence I did not know what was in them.

What do you know, not too many glasses there, and these cabinets are now stocked mostly with plates, bowls, and dishes. I then looked in the hall closet and the other kitchen cabinets, but no, not too many glasses there either. I could swear there were glasses in those places.

So, the glass-door wall-hung cabinets that I took the photo of hold about 2/3 of all the glasses we have, not 1/3 as I estimated earlier. Obviously, my wife moved all the glasses to the glass-door cabinets for display. Ah, glass in glass, that's her method. And she must have taken some off to our other home too. I do not know exactly, but I am quite certain we do not have as many there as in this home (there simply aren't as many cabinets!). Maybe just 1/2 or 1/3 of the glasses. My sweet wife is no hoarder!

And while I was at it, I roughly counted some of them. Yes, we have 20+ wine glasses, many tumblers and tall glasses and little shot glasses (for drink, not my souvernir glasses), but only 12 for martini. And get this, she got me 12 Cognac snifters, 6 of which look nice enough to pour XO into, but of course my precious XO bottle would be well hidden before the guests arrive. OK, OK, I am really not that chintzy and have been known to pull it out from the back of the booze cabinet to share some with people who would appreciate it, particularly my 2 brothers because they reciprocate when I pay them a visit.

My wife saw me opening all the cabinets, and asked me "What are you doin'?", to which I responded "Nothing, just looking". That was of course the truth, but I could tell that she was not too satisfied with my answer. Still, she did not interrogate me further. I think that was because she still needed me to finish the trellis for her squash vine.

I cannot blame my wife for being suspicious though. Suppose I caught her upstairs, turning on my electronic equipment, pushing buttons and tweaking knobs, I would want to know why too.

PS. My wife and I never watch Martha Stewart's show, but in an earlier post I said I read somewhere that Martha was picky. Then I recalled that I read it here in this forum. Is my memory totally awesome or is it simply fantastic?

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/martha-stewart-show-cancelled-59447.html#post1147419

Last edited:
I have a correction to make.

After telling the world about my wife's peculiar love of glasses, I really wondered how many we really have. So, I went look in the cabinets in the dining room and living room to see how many glasses we really had. These do not have glass doors at the lower shelves, hence I did not know what was in them.

What do you know, not too many glasses there, and these cabinets are now stocked mostly with plates, bowls, and dishes. I then looked in the hall closet and the other kitchen cabinets, but no, not too many glasses there either. I could swear there were glasses in those places.

So, the glass-door wall-hung cabinets that I took the photo of hold about 2/3 of all the glasses we have, not 1/3 as I estimated earlier. Obviously, my wife moved all the glasses to the glass-door cabinets for display. Ah, glass in glass, that's her method. And she must have taken some off to our other home too. I do not know exactly, but I am quite certain we do not have as many there as in this home (there simply aren't as many cabinets!). Maybe just 1/2 or 1/3 of the glasses. My sweet wife is no hoarder!

And while I was at it, I roughly counted some of them. Yes, we have 20+ wine glasses, many tumblers and tall glasses and little shot glasses (for drink, not my souvernir glasses), but only 12 for martini. And get this, she got me 12 Cognac snifters, 6 of which look nice enough to pour XO into, but of course my precious XO bottle would be well hidden before the guests arrive. OK, OK, I am really not that chintzy and have been known to pull it out from the back of the booze cabinet to share some with people who would appreciate it, particularly my 2 brothers because they reciprocate when I pay them a visit.

My wife saw me opening all the cabinets, and asked me "What are you doin'?", to which I responded "Nothing, just looking". That was of course the truth, but I could tell that she was not too satisfied with my answer. Still, she did not interrogate me further. I think that was because she still needed me to finish the trellis for her squash vine.

I cannot blame my wife for being suspicious though. Suppose I caught her upstairs, turning on my electronic equipment, pushing buttons and tweaking knobs, I would want to know why too.

PS. My wife and I never watch Martha Stewart's show, but in an earlier post I said I read somewhere that Martha was picky. Then I recalled that I read it here in this forum. Is my memory totally awesome or is it simply fantastic?

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/martha-stewart-show-cancelled-59447.html#post1147419

Perhaps she's concerned you're going to invite all us over to your place. I'll bring some tequila and a salt shaker ;)

Attachments

• tequila.png
    tequila.png
    281.1 KB · Views: 7
Here's a photo of what used to be my favorite coffee cup.

I don't know if the rest of the Navy or the other services had this model in their supply systems. And yes, the guys on Facebook's "Cold War Submarine Veterans" group are pretty excited to be able to buy them online!

Attachments

• Submarine coffee cup.jpg
    Submarine coffee cup.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 9
Good morning! I prefer to drink my breakfast calories with two of this 13 oz cup of really strong coffee with sugar and half-n-half. :greetings10:

IMG_0848sm.jpg

I actually bought this mug for my DH several years ago. It's become our favorite mug.

image-1180739125.jpg

image-204097081.jpg

I have only had tequila in Margarita, but was told that the expensive tequila is drunk alone. I have also used rum in cocktails, and have not used the more expensive aged rum. I also know nothing about expensive single-malt whiskey.

As usual, if something is expensive and many people are willing to pay a lot for it, I assume that is really "good stuff". However, I am not interested in stuff that people would quaff down just to get drunk. One time, I poured cognac for a visitor to see him knock it down like college kids doing shots. It made me cringe.

Following is a song I have known for a long time, though I am not a tequila drinker. It must hold the record for having the shortest lyrics.

Back to coffee, for years we used powdered cream. Then, after reading about all that hydrogenated fats, we started to use real half-and-half. I drink coffee both black and with cream. In the morning, I start with cream and sugar then switch to black for 2nd cup. Why? I don't know why.

Last edited:
In 1989, DW and I went to California on our honeymoon.
I took her to Monterey for a couple of days, since I wanted to show her where I lived while going to DLI at the Presidio.

I bought this mug at one of those crummy souvenir shops on Fisherman's Wharf, and I've used it just about every day for the last 23 years.
img_1225633_0_6313ea28b817221f45920c5c51a88c97.jpg

In 1989, DW and I went to California on our honeymoon.
I took her to Monterey for a couple of days, since I wanted to show her where I lived while going to DLI at the Presidio.
I bought this mug at one of those crummy souvenir shops on Fisherman's Wharf, and I've used it just about every day for the last 23 years.
We have a couple mugs from the Monterey Bay Aquarium. We were volunteer guides there for almost three years, which gives you an idea of how "hard" we were working at Naval Postgraduate School.

I always enjoyed the DLI t-shirts that proudly proclaimed on the front "WE'RE LEARNING RUSSIAN..." and on the back "... so that you don't have to."

If that part of the country (and its ocean) stayed about 20 degrees warmer year-round then we'd probably still be living there.

image-3569805274.jpg

This is mine. I like the yellow and the old style Donald Duck.:) Plus my grand kids like it.

If that part of the country (and its ocean) stayed about 20 degrees warmer year-round then we'd probably still be living there.

I was only there for 6-7 months, but loved every day of it. It wasn't the temperature that kept me from considering it, just the cost of living.

During my time (early 80s), the population of the city of Monterey was about 25,000 and there were five (5, by my actual count) Mercedes dealers.:facepalm:

I was only there for 6-7 months, but loved every day of it. It wasn't the temperature that kept me from considering it, just the cost of living.
During my time (early 80s), the population of the city of Monterey was about 25,000 and there were five (5, by my actual count) Mercedes dealers.:facepalm:
We arrived there in 1986 to (just barely) buy a 3BR 1600 sq ft condo in Pacific Grove for $185K.

We sold it in 1989 (by ourselves) for $215K. It was on the market for six weeks and we had five offers. The buyer was a widow of a car dealer who was looking for a pied a terre while her Pebble Beach home was being built. She deposited $225K cash into escrow and we closed a week after she made the offer.

She lived in the place for six months and sold it in early 1990 for $289K.

Our profits from that condo enabled us to (just barely) buy our Oahu home, which we still own today.

I don't think we could buy into either Pacific Grove, Monterey, or our Hawaii home today without both of us going back to full-time employment.

Post a Picture of Your Favorite Coffee [-]Cup[/-]

Moose_Drool_Organic_Coffee_grande.jpg

Now that we have expanded the thread from coffee mugs to what is more important, the coffee itself, let me bring up this exotic coffee: Kopi Luwak.

It is in very limited production, with prices reaching $3000 per pound. Or you can buy a single brewed cup for $35 to $80 in specialty coffee shops (no Starbucks here). Yes, it's organic, just like the Moose Drool above.

Has anyone here tried that? No? Me neither.

Before anyone rushes out to buy it, he should do some research first. Start with this: Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia.

Last edited:
NW-Bound said:
Now that we have expanded the thread from coffee mugs to what is more important, the coffee itself, let me bring up this exotic coffee: Kopi Luwak.

It is in very limited production, with prices reaching $3000 per pound. Or you can buy a single cup for $35 to $80. Yes, it's organic, just like the Moose Drool above.

Has anyone here tried that? No? Me neither.

Before anyone rushes out to buy it, he should do some research first. Start with this: Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia.

I have not tried it myself, but our Pastor has. No, he isn't rich, far from it. He does, however, have a friend who serves with MAF in Indonesia. He is able to get the coffee reasonably and brought a package back to the states to share. From what I heard, it was quite good.

Well, it looks like there aren't many takers here.

I have heard of this exotic coffee for a long time, but am not too excited about drinking "recycled" coffee, even if it is all "organic". Then, this thread brought it back to mind, and I found the above Wiki article.

The links at the end of the Wiki article lead to some reviews. Many drinkers were not enthused about the taste and flavor of this coffee. Of course, not all coffees made this way are alike. One also talked about how the production has progressed to the point where civets are raised in captivity for this purpose. I will stick to regular coffee for now. I also read that someone has found a way to apply an artificial enzyme to get the same effect. Perhaps I will try that, if it is not too expensive.

If I thought my palate was sophisticated enough to appreciate it, I would probably try some kopi luwak, but alas, it would be wasted on me.

img_1226031_0_0efd9186a4a2e96961f79cfcb9e92299.jpg

I told Ms G about KL coffee, she said she would stick with Seattle's Best. Sounds a lot like geese and foie gras, and torturing critters.

Back
Top Bottom