Post Pictures of your HD TV Setup

She sort of locked herself into the CRT because she bought three huge wall units (in 1984) that anchor the room décor. The TV sits in the middle of the middle wall unit, so if she decided to go any bigger then she'd have to replace everything on that wall.

Between moving back to our former rental and fixing our old place up for sale, DH and I spent lots of time at our local Habitat Restore. For those not familiar with it, builders donate tons of unused or left over stuff from appliances and cabinets to tile and electrical supplies. Also individuals donate household items like furniture.

Everytime we went in there, we saw at least a dozen of those TV wall units. You can pick one up today for practically nothing becase so many people have gotten rid of their CRT TVs. Oh, you can also get a large CRT TV there in perfect working order for $25 - $50.

Everytime we went in there, we saw at least a dozen of those TV wall units. You can pick one up today for practically nothing becase so many people have gotten rid of their CRT TVs. Oh, you can also get a large CRT TV there in perfect working order for $25 - $50.
Yep. That 29" CRT TV was free at curbside bulk pickup.

To complicate matters, the wall units have a lot of sentimental value to spouse. They're among the first pieces of "grownup furniture" that she bought after college. (My bachelor stuff is long gone...) She bought them in the Azores islands, so they remind her of starting out at one of her first duty stations. She paid full retail-- a few hundred bucks-- in Portuguese escudos. Unfortunately the symbol for that currency is also "$", so when she charged $100,000 in escudos the American Mastercard office thought it was in dollars. Hilarity ensued. It was just a funny sea story until a few years later when we tried to get a mortgage, and that incident was still in her credit report. More hilarity ensued (we eventually got the mortgage with another broker). Our daughter's heard all these stories many times, so I doubt she'll try to take them off our hands when she makes her first duty-station transfer in 2014.

I think these wall units have a longer life expectancy than me...

Those tall speakers you see in my photo above are Sony's from Amazon for $100. Probably not the greatest but they sound good enough for us. I've had two speaker sets with disintegrating foam around the speakers after maybe 15 years (each pair). I also have some cheap speakers in the rear for surround sound and got a $120 Sony subwoofer.

I'm not an audiophile but respect those who want the best :).

Lsbcal, those Sony speakers are great and excellent value for home theater! I have a 7.2 home theater setup - all Sony speakers except for the two Velodyne subwoofers. I have two SS-F7000 left and right speakers, an SS-CN5000 for center, and four SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers for rear and side speakers. I don't recall how much I spent for them, but I remember getting a great deal from B&H Photo.

I think these wall units have a longer life expectancy than me...

Your wife reminds me of my husband in that he also forms attachments to stuff. We still have this dining room set his parents purchased decades ago. It's really too big for our tiny house, but we made room for it. He had many dinners at this table with his family growing up.

Attachments

• DSC00146.jpg
    DSC00146.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
7835-albums98-picture932.jpg

Just one TV for everyone? How on earth do you watch college football on Saturdays? Yes, this is my own personal sports bar.

This was taken just after I mounted the 2 32" LED/LCD TVs above my 56" DLP. I can get one HD satellite channel and one SD satellite channel on any TV, plus HD OTA on any TV. The main wire you see on the right is to the indoor antenna because it just wasn't getting all signals behind the TV, so I've either got to figure that out or hide the wire.
7835-albu0s98-picture932.jpg

Your wife reminds me of my husband in that he also forms attachments to stuff. We still have this dining room set his parents purchased decades ago. It's really too big for our tiny house, but we made room for it. He had many dinners at this table with his family growing up.
Cool, what's for dinner tonight? Might stop by. ;)

Your wife reminds me of my husband in that he also forms attachments to stuff.
I don't know if it was the submarine lifestyle or downsizing my Dad's apartment, but I've been pretty much cured of my attachment to stuff.

Occasionally I'll gaze around our abode at all the tchotchkes and tell my spouse "It's a good thing that I'm going first..."

Here is a pic of my mancave TV. I thought it was a 50", but its actually a wopping 52":D. When I bought the new credenza for the TV, I never bothered to move the components from the little cabinet on the left to the credenza, so it doesn't look like the neatest install with all the wires showing. I will get around to moving everything one of these days. Its funny, when you sit in the sofa which is about 8-10' away, the screen looks much bigger than in the pic below, and while the TV itself is not the biggest, what I like most about the setup is the 5.1 sound system, Definitive Technology + Denon Receiver, better than going to the movie theater in my opinion.

Attachments

• LCD TV.jpg
    LCD TV.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 4
Unlike those thin, flimsy flat screens, my set has REAL 3D built right into it, and comes with its own sturdy stand. http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/147582-2/DuMont+RA-113B3+front+open+2.jpg

I like this :)

There's been a huge change in how we watch TV over the past few decades. We've gone from an event that the family planned for and scheduled (the way we go to theaters now) to having TV's in many rooms and often on all the time.

In my perfect world the TV would be completely hidden from view - I've seen a few great solutions in high end house builds, with TV's rising from base cabinets when in use but then sinking back to hidden and silent when off.

Rant alert: We have 1 TV and even that I find a distraction; the moth and the flame effect is common. Having the TV on ends conversations, changes social interactions and is generally a distraction. Since our TV is in a corner, I can slide a rocking chair in front of it, reducing the temptation of flipping on the electronic 'company" and that's a good help. More than once I've lobbied to get rid of it entirely. Here's an interesting blog post about good reasons to ditch the tube

Rant alert: We have 1 TV and even that I find a distraction; the moth and the flame effect is common. Having the TV on ends conversations, changes social interactions and is generally a distraction. Since our TV is in a corner, I can slide a rocking chair in front of it, reducing the temptation of flipping on the electronic 'company" and that's a good help. More than once I've lobbied to get rid of it entirely. Here's an interesting blog post about good reasons to ditch the tube
Heretic! You can't get behind on who has been elimitanted on Dancing With The Stars or American Idol! Get real...

Last edited:
Heretic! You can't get behind on who has been elimitante on Dancing With The Stars or American Idol! Get real...

There just aren't enough hours in the day for all the fine programming out there to choose from.. even now I have to do a picture in picture thing to keep current on Louisiana Gator Men, Swamp Logger Rodeo Daze, Biker Babes of CA, Pawn Star Plastic Surgery In Session and Honey BooBoo's New Jersey Fashion Extravaganza :cool:

:nonono:

There just aren't enough hours in the day for all the fine programming out there to choose from.. even now I have to do a picture in picture thing to keep current on Louisiana Gator Men, Swamp Logger Rodeo Daze, Biker Babes of CA, Pawn Star Plastic Surgery In Session and Honey BooBoo's New Jersey Fashion Extravaganza :cool:

:facepalm:
Exactly the reason why I cannot justify a TV service subscription. Free OTA and internet streaming work best for me and my wallet.

Here's my main viewing room. 100" 1080p projector. Seats are mounted on "Butt kickers", it adds realism without loudness to the experience.
Expendables 2 is tonight's movie.

img_1254141_0_ead853c3671b459a82c7b3164c23b77f.jpg

Another projector person here. We have about 9' wide, with ceiling-mounted, 1080 LCD projector in the basement:

screen.jpg

(Apologies--it is rather "lived in" at the time of that pic.)

All DIY and on the cheap, from the walls to system assembly (and the painted screen). No vibrating chairs :( or TV feed, but staged seating with old couches, blu Ray, and internet feed.

The sound system and the wine cellar on the left side of the picture are what make it go. ;)

Here's my main viewing room. 100" 1080p projector. Seats are mounted on "Butt kickers", it adds realism without loudness to the experience.
Expendables 2 is tonight's movie.

img_1254152_0_ead853c3671b459a82c7b3164c23b77f.jpg
Looks like a serious setup. What type of shows does the cat like? And do you employ ushers or perhaps the cat does that? ;)

You forgot to mention this gem...Pitbulls & Parolees on Animal Planet.

I am normally a casual TV watcher, preferring the digtial cable music channels to the rest. I have been ill for the past week, so I have been indoors a lot. I have used the Guide feature to look at current programming and am astounded at the garbage being broadcast.
TG for the classic movie stations. :D

Last edited:
Looks like a serious setup. What type of shows does the cat like? And do you employ ushers or perhaps the cat does that? ;)

Sadly the cat had to be put to sleep two years ago due to fatty liver disease.

It's a nice setup that took years to get to. The main speakers are from 1991, center and rears from 1998. The room was destroyed when we bought the house. I patched numerous holes, replaced doors, redid the ceiling and built the riser. All done inexpensively but nice.

The rooms seats 4 with recliners, we've had to up to 12 sitting on the floor and various chairs. I've helped 3 friends do the same thing to their house. Now they don't come over any more.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom