Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No, it's mine.

It was a "Congratulations for lasting 25 years at Megacorp" consolation prize gift.
Seems like 25 years should warrant a grandfather clock

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

54" Plasma screen. The speakers are built into the wall - we did the stereo wiring and speakers when the house was built. Also the bracing for the wall-mounted TV. NHT speakers. There are two more speakers mounted behind the viewer for surround sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDTV-Stereo-setup800.jpg (80.3 KB, 16 views)

Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We have two. A 42" plasma we bought in '03 and a 32" LCD I inherited and set up in the basement for a future home theater.
Why do you have a picture of Nords in his dress whites below your TV
Old 11-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Seems like 25 years should warrant a grandfather clock
I figured if I made it to 30 I'd get a coffin...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
The day we hauled the big tube style tv to the dump was a happy one. The flat screen takes up much less space.

This one is 46 inches and plenty big for our purposes. We added some speakers in the ceiling although didn't feel they were really needed for the TV.... still it was a good excuse and now have those speakers in several rooms. We run the stereo through them and can switch off various rooms - very handy. I think our speakers are JBLs but many folks make them.

We made the TV "stand" and the top overhangs the bottom by a couple of inches to help hide the electronic rats nest. It's plywood and teak.

The electronic stuff under there is a roku, the cable box, a dvd player and and old vcr (which we are currently blowing taps for).
Love the bonus pet pics
Old 11-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #46

Looks like fireplaces are often in the way for TV placement. Got something of that problem myself. Thought about removing the fireplace altogether.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Looks like fireplaces are often in the way for TV placement. Got something of that problem myself. Thought about removing the fireplace altogether.
The bottom of our TV is only 23" above the floor so that the center of view is about 38" above the floor. We had to get entertainment center shelves that were only 21" tall.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

We installed a 55" set on a wall mount a few years ago. The space and mounting bracket ae large enough to let us install up to a 72" TV at some point in the future, if we want to go that route. There's a surge protected outlet and a low voltage wiring channel behind the set. The bench cabinet below the TV holds the usual electronics, along with a WiFi access point on the home gigabit network. Power, MATV, and satellite dish outlets are behind the bench, along with the other end of the wiring channel.

DW picked out a nice modular 3-recliner slightly curved sofa sort of seating that is about 11 feet back from the screen, just about in the middle of the room. There's a wall sized cabinet opposite the TV, with a serving counter in the middle for snacks and whatnot as needed. :-)
Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Oh Jeez. Our TV looks so small!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Unlike those thin, flimsy flat screens, my set has REAL 3D built right into it, and comes with its own sturdy stand. http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/1...ont+open+2.jpg
We have a 29" Panasonic CRT, and if spouse ever sees GrayHare's model then she'd offer to buy it when they're done with it.

She sort of locked herself into the CRT because she bought three huge wall units (in 1984) that anchor the room décor. The TV sits in the middle of the middle wall unit, so if she decided to go any bigger then she'd have to replace everything on that wall.

As a guy (and a marriage veteran survivor) I know better than to interject my clueless opinions into that type of "conversation". I suspect we'll only update the TV when there are no longer any connecting cables or DVRs for it.

Quote:
Damn, I thought I already shredded all those negatives...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #50

Quote:
My folks when my dad retired from the reserves. One of his favorite photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I figured if I made it to 30 I'd get need a coffin...
FIFY
Old 11-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
She sort of locked herself into the CRT because she bought three huge wall units (in 1984) that anchor the room décor. The TV sits in the middle of the middle wall unit, so if she decided to go any bigger then she'd have to replace everything on that wall.
Between moving back to our former rental and fixing our old place up for sale, DH and I spent lots of time at our local Habitat Restore. For those not familiar with it, builders donate tons of unused or left over stuff from appliances and cabinets to tile and electrical supplies. Also individuals donate household items like furniture.

Everytime we went in there, we saw at least a dozen of those TV wall units. You can pick one up today for practically nothing becase so many people have gotten rid of their CRT TVs. Oh, you can also get a large CRT TV there in perfect working order for $25 - $50.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Everytime we went in there, we saw at least a dozen of those TV wall units. You can pick one up today for practically nothing becase so many people have gotten rid of their CRT TVs. Oh, you can also get a large CRT TV there in perfect working order for $25 - $50.
Yep. That 29" CRT TV was free at curbside bulk pickup.

To complicate matters, the wall units have a lot of sentimental value to spouse. They're among the first pieces of "grownup furniture" that she bought after college. (My bachelor stuff is long gone...) She bought them in the Azores islands, so they remind her of starting out at one of her first duty stations. She paid full retail-- a few hundred bucks-- in Portuguese escudos. Unfortunately the symbol for that currency is also "$", so when she charged $100,000 in escudos the American Mastercard office thought it was in dollars. Hilarity ensued. It was just a funny sea story until a few years later when we tried to get a mortgage, and that incident was still in her credit report. More hilarity ensued (we eventually got the mortgage with another broker). Our daughter's heard all these stories many times, so I doubt she'll try to take them off our hands when she makes her first duty-station transfer in 2014.

I think these wall units have a longer life expectancy than me...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Those tall speakers you see in my photo above are Sony's from Amazon for $100. Probably not the greatest but they sound good enough for us. I've had two speaker sets with disintegrating foam around the speakers after maybe 15 years (each pair). I also have some cheap speakers in the rear for surround sound and got a $120 Sony subwoofer.

I'm not an audiophile but respect those who want the best .
Lsbcal, those Sony speakers are great and excellent value for home theater! I have a 7.2 home theater setup - all Sony speakers except for the two Velodyne subwoofers. I have two SS-F7000 left and right speakers, an SS-CN5000 for center, and four SS-B1000 bookshelf speakers for rear and side speakers. I don't recall how much I spent for them, but I remember getting a great deal from B&H Photo.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think these wall units have a longer life expectancy than me...
Your wife reminds me of my husband in that he also forms attachments to stuff. We still have this dining room set his parents purchased decades ago. It's really too big for our tiny house, but we made room for it. He had many dinners at this table with his family growing up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00146.jpg (392.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Just one TV for everyone? How on earth do you watch college football on Saturdays? Yes, this is my own personal sports bar.

This was taken just after I mounted the 2 32" LED/LCD TVs above my 56" DLP. I can get one HD satellite channel and one SD satellite channel on any TV, plus HD OTA on any TV. The main wire you see on the right is to the indoor antenna because it just wasn't getting all signals behind the TV, so I've either got to figure that out or hide the wire.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your wife reminds me of my husband in that he also forms attachments to stuff. We still have this dining room set his parents purchased decades ago. It's really too big for our tiny house, but we made room for it. He had many dinners at this table with his family growing up.
Cool, what's for dinner tonight? Might stop by.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Cool, what's for dinner tonight? Might stop by.
Homemade stuffed peppers and salad. You can bring the wine
Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Your wife reminds me of my husband in that he also forms attachments to stuff.
I don't know if it was the submarine lifestyle or downsizing my Dad's apartment, but I've been pretty much cured of my attachment to stuff.

Occasionally I'll gaze around our abode at all the tchotchkes and tell my spouse "It's a good thing that I'm going first..."

Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #59

Here is a pic of my mancave TV. I thought it was a 50", but its actually a wopping 52". When I bought the new credenza for the TV, I never bothered to move the components from the little cabinet on the left to the credenza, so it doesn't look like the neatest install with all the wires showing. I will get around to moving everything one of these days. Its funny, when you sit in the sofa which is about 8-10' away, the screen looks much bigger than in the pic below, and while the TV itself is not the biggest, what I like most about the setup is the 5.1 sound system, Definitive Technology + Denon Receiver, better than going to the movie theater in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LCD TV.jpg (285.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #60
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Unlike those thin, flimsy flat screens, my set has REAL 3D built right into it, and comes with its own sturdy stand. http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/1...ont+open+2.jpg

I like this

There's been a huge change in how we watch TV over the past few decades. We've gone from an event that the family planned for and scheduled (the way we go to theaters now) to having TV's in many rooms and often on all the time.

In my perfect world the TV would be completely hidden from view - I've seen a few great solutions in high end house builds, with TV's rising from base cabinets when in use but then sinking back to hidden and silent when off.

Rant alert: We have 1 TV and even that I find a distraction; the moth and the flame effect is common. Having the TV on ends conversations, changes social interactions and is generally a distraction. Since our TV is in a corner, I can slide a rocking chair in front of it, reducing the temptation of flipping on the electronic 'company" and that's a good help. More than once I've lobbied to get rid of it entirely. Here's an interesting blog post about good reasons to ditch the tube