Is it possible to connect your TV to your Wi-fi network?

rtroxel

Recycles dryer sheets

We have 3 TV sets in our house, and I'd love to connect them to our wi-fi, especially for streaming purposes - but I'm not interested in laying cables all around the house.

Do the "Smart TVs" come with that capability or is there a special card, chip or other device that needs to be installed?

Thanks for your attention,

Roy

Yes.... That's how I stream with three of my smart TV's. If you don't have a smart TV you can buy something like a Roku streaming device for as little as $25 that connects VIA your home 802.11 wireless network to get to the Internet. Actually pretty easy to do.

Last edited:
Yes, anything that qualifies as "smart TV" will be able to connect to WiFi. Older TVs, you'll need a Firestick or a Rokio stick or AppleTV, or some such. The simplest Firesticks go for 20 bucks (maybe even less for used ones on eBy), so for a total of 60 bucks, you are in business.

Great, but what kind of equipment do you use? That is, do you use a smart TV or did you add special chips or other devices to your "regular" TVs?

Thanks,

Roy
All my smart TV's have it built in (assume all do)... An older "regular" TV needs something like a very inexpensive Roku device (It connects VIA wireless and plugs into your TV). Actually I have/use both. 3 smart TV's and 1 older TV via a Roku stick.

Last edited:
Great, but what kind of equipment do you use? That is, do you use a smart TV or did you add special chips or other devices to your "regular" TVs?

Thanks,

Roy

I have nothing but old TVs, from 2010-12. They are dumb.

I use Roku devices to stream. The Roku plugs into the HDMI. I then set it up to see the Wifi network. Done! I am streaming.

We have 2 smart TVs (Roku) that have that built in along with some included apps and the ability to download the rest. That's how we watch Sling, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Max, Disney+, etc. It's all built in to the TV and the TV is connected to our wifi network.

You just plug a Roku into your TV's HDMI port if you don't have a smart TV and you will be up and running in 5 minutes. The Roku guides you what to do to connect to your wifi. You can get a new Roku Express for about $25 at Walmart without a voice control remote or pay more for one with voice control.
Check this video

There is one other benefit of using Roku sticks, even on SMART TV's. Not all streaming apps are downloadable via the Smart TV software interface. Roku has almost ALL streaming apps available, including Xfinity Stream. We got rid of 3 cable boxes (and the $10/ month each rental fees), by using Roku sticks with our Comcast Cable/ Internet service. I have saved hundreds of dollars over the past four years since I dumped the other cable boxes!

We use AppleTVs instead of using any smart TV interface. Better integration with streaming providers overall. So it doesn’t matter how smart the TVs are and you can use WiFi or direct Ethernet connection.

One internal and external Google Chromecast user here. They also allow casting videos from my phone & tablet when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I use a Samsung SmartTV (purchased new last year) and it connects directly to my home WiFi. For streaming TV, I happen to use the apps that either already were on it or that I have been able to download on to it. I also have it connected (via coax wire) to my external antenna, so that I get local channels.

I also have it connected to an external Apple TV device that I expected to use for streaming apps. However, I have found that I prefer using the ones on the TV itself since they are built into the same user interface as my local channels (live TV). But, I do utilize the Apple TV passively to push the TV's sound to my stereo Apple HomePod speakers in the room.

Fire Stick.

We use AppleTVs instead of using any smart TV interface. Better integration with streaming providers overall. So it doesn’t matter how smart the TVs are and you can use WiFi or direct Ethernet connection.
Our 3rd TV has an AppleTV. The other 2 are Smart TVs.

Yes, that is how you gain the ability to stream programming.

We have 3 TV sets in our house, and I'd love to connect them to our wi-fi, especially for streaming purposes - but I'm not interested in laying cables all around the house.

Do the "Smart TVs" come with that capability or is there a special card, chip or other device that needs to be installed?

Smart TVs do come with a built in WiFi circuit so it can connect to your home WiFi network. If your TV is older and does not have WiFi cabability you may purchase devices called streaming sticks. The most popular ones are Roku, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, and Google Chromecast.

Since you seem to be relatively new to the streaming world I suggest you get a Roku Streaming Stick 4K and try it out on your primary viewing TV. Roku is the simplest streaming device available and is easy to use.

What brand and model TV do you have? I ask because you need to have an HDMI input on the back of the TV for streaming sticks to work with your TV.

There are a couple of reasons to use an Apple TV (or Roku) instead of using the “smart” part of a smart TV. These include:

Privacy: many (most?) smart TVs report back what shows you watch. In fact, some cheap TV manufacturers make more money selling this info about you than the original sale.

Consistency: I really like that our two TV UIs are exactly the same. They sync up so that when I add an app on one, the other reflects the change. No confusion. Especially since our two TVs are different brands and thus have different smart TV UIs.

Speed: it’s not often a huge deal, but Smart TVs use slower (cheap) processors and so the UI is pretty laggy. Apple TVs (and late model Rokus) are much snappier.

Updating streaming (and other) apps is much easier than on some Smart TVs. the OS on some older Smart TVs doesn’t get updated anymore either.

Other random things I really like about the Apple TV. I can use my phone to type on the TV for things like searching. It also manages all the passwords for all the streaming apps so I don’t have to enter in the passwords over and over.

I use one Tablo to receive OTA broadcasts and can watch the content from it on any of our TVs using the Tablo Apple TV app.

The Apple TV also has some decent games - visiting youngsters can be entertained with games from Apple’s Arcade.

Wired ethernet is better for streaming video content, but if you are using the latest WiFi , it’s not too bad these days.

I plugged in LG TV, attached to our Wireless LAN 5G, and there ya go!

Yes, that is how you gain the ability to stream programming.

Smart TVs do come with a built in WiFi circuit so it can connect to your home WiFi network. If your TV is older and does not have WiFi cabability you may purchase devices called streaming sticks. The most popular ones are Roku, Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, and Google Chromecast.

Since you seem to be relatively new to the streaming world I suggest you get a Roku Streaming Stick 4K and try it out on your primary viewing TV. Roku is the simplest streaming device available and is easy to use.

What brand and model TV do you have? I ask because you need to have an HDMI input on the back of the TV for streaming sticks to work with your TV.

I have a Samsung, purchased a few years ago, and I was able to connect it to my Wi-Fi yesterday afternoon.

How did I do this? I read the manual, which explained everything step by step. (Wow, do I feel lame.) In any case, the network is up and running. Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Roy in New Mexico

There are a couple of reasons to use an Apple TV (or Roku) instead of using the “smart” part of a smart TV. These include:

Privacy: many (most?) smart TVs report back what shows you watch. In fact, some cheap TV manufacturers make more money selling this info about you than the original sale.

Consistency: I really like that our two TV UIs are exactly the same. They sync up so that when I add an app on one, the other reflects the change. No confusion. Especially since our two TVs are different brands and thus have different smart TV UIs.

Speed: it’s not often a huge deal, but Smart TVs use slower (cheap) processors and so the UI is pretty laggy. Apple TVs (and late model Rokus) are much snappier.

Updating streaming (and other) apps is much easier than on some Smart TVs. the OS on some older Smart TVs doesn’t get updated anymore either.

Other random things I really like about the Apple TV. I can use my phone to type on the TV for things like searching. It also manages all the passwords for all the streaming apps so I don’t have to enter in the passwords over and over.

I use one Tablo to receive OTA broadcasts and can watch the content from it on any of our TVs using the Tablo Apple TV app.

The Apple TV also has some decent games - visiting youngsters can be entertained with games from Apple’s Arcade.

Wired ethernet is better for streaming video content, but if you are using the latest WiFi , it’s not too bad these days.

All excellent points. I will add:

More apps--Roku (and probably other streaming sticks) have more apps available than the TV's built in library. When I found out that my new LG TV does not have the Major League Baseball TV app available, I got a Roku Ultra. Since then I've learned there are many more apps that LG does not license but is available on Roku, in fact, probably hundreds more on Roku.

Some TV's have a data transfer speed cap built into their ethernet ports. Ironically, this means that the TV is capable of getting faster speeds via wifi than via ethernet.

I have a Samsung, purchased a few years ago, and I was able to connect it to my Wi-Fi yesterday afternoon.

How did I do this? I read the manual, which explained everything step by step. (Wow, do I feel lame.) In any case, the network is up and running. Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Roy in New Mexico

Excellent. Happy streaming!

I have a 2008 Panasonic Plasma 50" with a Fire TV Cube and an Apple TV 4k hooked up to it.

Roku is another option. There are also other Android based devices.

I think a Fire TV Stick is the easiest device. Especially if you are an Amazon Prime member.

Roy in New Mexico

So in other words, the summary of this thread is: RTFM. :LOL:

All excellent points. I will add:

Some TV's have a data transfer speed cap built into their ethernet ports. Ironically, this means that the TV is capable of getting faster speeds via wifi than via ethernet.

Never heard of that, I always assumed my cable was faster than wireless. I have a relatively recent LG smart TV, how would I find out if the cable throughput is throttled?

Never heard of that, I always assumed my cable was faster than wireless. I have a relatively recent LG smart TV, how would I find out if the cable throughput is throttled?

I think it's part of the ethernet port specifications. Typical ones are 10/100, meaning you can only get 100 Mbps transfer speed.

The workaround is to use a USB to Ethernet adapter, meaning you plug your internet ethernet cable into the USB adapter then plug the USB adapter into a USB port on your TV. Supposedly this will get you 300 Mbps speeds.

This has been discussed ad-naseum on the LG C2/G2 forums, which is how I heard about it.

What is the model number and screen size?

Back
Top Bottom