Identity theft question

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
We recently had a near miss with an identity theft situation. My husband was attempting to pay a medical bill when the online bill paying platform wanted my husband to download an app to pay. He stopped the transaction midway, and then reported the incident to our bank. A few days later, he gets a call from my town's social services dept. saying they had been to our house twice to check on us (We are 61 and 63). My husband was skeptical because the number was NOT a work number, and in fact, was not registered to the person calling. We were convinced this was part of the original scam, but my husband emailed social services, and they confirmed that they had sent someone out. What they cannot tell us is who reported the situation to them. This greatly upsets my husband because it means the reporter also has much of our information. How much, we don't know. We checked with the bank, and they say it is not their practice to report anything like this to social services. The whole thing is bizarre. He has a meeting with social services later this week.
Anyone have anything like this happen or any insight?

I don't have any insight, but some thoughts:

Immediately delete that app from the medical place, and file a report with them that you believe it was compromised. (i don't download anything these days unless I've really vetted it).

Go to your social services and demand an explanation. No more email or phone, just go there in person. I hope you made the appointment with them directly by looking them up, and not via some email or contact info the caller gave you. Let them know you believe you've been compromised with identity theft, and you need them to fully cooperate as your next visit is the police.

Get a check up on your PC's or whatever devices were used to ensure no other malware or stuff was added. Until this is resolved do not use, and do no other transactions on those devices.

We recently had a near miss with an identity theft situation. My husband was attempting to pay a medical bill when the online bill paying platform wanted my husband to download an app to pay. He stopped the transaction midway, and then reported the incident to our bank. A few days later, he gets a call from my town's social services dept. saying they had been to our house twice to check on us (We are 61 and 63). My husband was skeptical because the number was NOT a work number, and in fact, was not registered to the person calling. We were convinced this was part of the original scam, but my husband emailed social services, and they confirmed that they had sent someone out. What they cannot tell us is who reported the situation to them. This greatly upsets my husband because it means the reporter also has much of our information. How much, we don't know. We checked with the bank, and they say it is not their practice to report anything like this to social services. The whole thing is bizarre. He has a meeting with social services later this week.
Anyone have anything like this happen or any insight?
Yes, the the social service check is weird, but I'm not sure why you are so confident that the billing paying app and the social service check are related (?). Nor do I see anything that really indicates identity theft, since everyone now-a-days wants you to download their app. Of course, much like you husband I would pay differently instead of downloading an app, but I still don't see any data to indicate an identity theft.

Not trying to challenge you, just trying to help you maybe see a different perspective and maybe uncouple the two events.

Aerides-Did all of the above. The in person will happen in two days.
The way the social services check is related is because they indicated that they were checking on us because an identity theft had been reported to them. They even do that it involved trying to pay a medical bill. We are hopeful that the theft did not actually occur because he aborted downloading the app midway.

The way the social services check is related is because they indicated that they were checking on us because an identity theft had been reported to them. They even do that it involved trying to pay a medical bill. We are hopeful that the theft did not actually occur because he aborted downloading the app midway.

I don't see how aborting a download could result in an identity theft report. I do that all the time. I suspect that when you talk to social services you'll find out they are not related. I have no idea where the report could have come from. Maybe from your call to the bank.

I also doubt that the app was a scam. A number of my medical billing companies use a third party app to pay. I'm in favor of waiting to verify the app's legitimacy, but I use them fairly often without issue. And if you were paying by credit card you have that as a safety backup too. If it turns out to be a scam, you just report it to the CC company and they'll investigate and cancel your old card and give you a new number.

My husband was attempting to pay a medical bill when the online bill paying platform wanted my husband to download an app to pay.

We're missing something here. Exactly how did he get started paying this bill? Was it something he was 100% sure was legit? Did he go directly to the medical provider's web site, or was it a link he followed from an email (which maybe wasn't really the medical provider)?

Did he check with the medical provider later, to find out if they use an app for payment?

What did you report to the bank? You said "He stopped the transaction midway," - what does that mean? Had he already entered your banking info?

Did you report any of this to anybody? Maybe a friend/relative, and they called around, trying to look out for you? And that led to the social services check-in?

There's some loose ends.

-ERD50

You just agreed to have social services do a check in. Why would you agree to something like that? Honestly the way you explain this makes no sense.

ERD50–he received a paper bill that offered an online paying option. We were as sure as anyone can be that this bill was legit. Have not checked with billing company about them using this app. Need to do that.
He stopped the transaction as he was being prompted to download the app when credit card info was being requested. No credit card info was entered.
He told one golf buddy about it who is older than we are and who had had a similar experience. He did not call social services.

Ivinsfan— where do I say I agreed to have social services do a check in? We were not home when they allegedly came to our house twice. My husband received a phone call from them saying they were attempting to do a check in. He told them he did not want a check in and then followed up with an email to social services because we would like to know how they got information about all of this if the bank did not report this to them as the bank has indicated. He will be going to their office

We are hopeful that no identity theft was committed. It’s the social services piece that has us confused.

Last edited:
ERD50–he received a paper bill that offered an online paying option. We were as sure as anyone can be that this bill was legit.

I always compare my medical bills to my insurance explanation of benefit (EOB) before paying. If they match, that gives one a level of confidence against fraud/scams.

My husband was attempting to pay a medical bill when the online bill paying platform wanted my husband to download an app to pay.

Was this a provider you frequently, occasionally, or rarely use? I have a few apps for my frequent providers. For occasional or rare providers, I pay by my CU's BillPay, check/snail mail, or an online payment system (no apps) that do NOT store CC info.

Last edited:
ERD50–he received a paper bill that offered an online paying option. We were as sure as anyone can be that this bill was legit. Have not checked with billing company about them using this app. Need to do that.
He stopped the transaction as he was being prompted to download the app when credit card info was being requested. No credit card info was entered. ....

OK, but I guess I'm a little confused about your call to the bank? If you didn't enter any CC/bank info, why call the bank (I assume this bank is your CC holder)?

Were you concerned that this was a malware app that might have grabbed something w/o you entering it? But if you followed this from a link from a legit bill, that seems unlikely, unless scammers have resorted to snail-mail scams (paying postage wipes out their typical scams). That call to your medical provider should clear that up.

It’s the social services piece that has us confused.

I suspect this is unrelated - you trying to tie them together is what has you confused.

Again, my buddy Occam is telling me they are unrelated - we will see.

-ERD50

By whom? You initially didn't mention reporting the ID theft other than to your bank, and you said you didn't know how SS decided to check on you? I'm confused. Did you already report the ID theft to someone official, which then triggered the SS check? Or does your bank do that? Did you call your bank to ask that they do that?

If you reported ID theft already and someone from SS says it's related to that...and you're sure that SS is legit, then this makes more sense. That linkage was missing in the OP.

A tip - get a ring doorbell, or similar, that records knocks at your door and any activity there. They said they'd been to your house already? You'd know if they had if you had that monitoring in place. It's also a nice way to check on things when you are away, or before answering the door - better than a peephole!

Was this a provider you frequently, occasionally, or rarely use? I have a few apps for my frequent providers. For occasional or rare providers, I pay by check/snail mail or an online payment system (no apps) that do NOT store CC info.

A lot of places encourage you to use their app, but in most cases, it isn't required - you can use a browser.

I don't recall needing an app to pay anyone (and I do as much on-line as I can). But I do avoid using my smartphone for most of this, I much prefer using a real keyboard and large monitor with multiple windows open and easy copy/paste. So I tend to avoid apps anyhow. The only reason I have the apps for my financial place is to do a mobile deposit of the occasional paper check. Gee, my computer has a web-cam, why can't I deposit from there (nope, need an 'app' for that!)? I delete that app when I'm done, why have that on my phone when I seldom use it? I can DL it needed, little effort.

But I do have a phone app for my medical provider, it can be handy when I'm at the office and away from my computer.

-ERD50

I occasionally get a medical bill that offers online payment. I just call and pay it over the phone. Never had a problem.

Aerides—Who reported this to social services is our question too, and I don’t think they are going to tell us as they have indicated in my husband’s followup phone calls to him. We only reported this incident to the bank, and we called the bank to ask if they had reported this to SS, and they said they had not.
Yes, I think a Ring camera is on the shopping list.

....We only reported this incident to the bank, and we called the bank to ask if they had reported this to SS, and they said they had not. ...

I wonder if maybe someone at the bank acted independently, anonymously, and in good faith, if they just felt this story raised some flags for them, and they thought maybe a call from Social Services was in order, and couldn't hurt?

Maybe that person at the bank had experienced other people getting scammed, and decided to be proactive this time, just in case, even if officially they couldn't do anything on behalf of the bank? Just a thought.

-ERD50

I wonder if maybe someone at the bank acted independently, anonymously, and in good faith, if they just felt this story raised some flags for them, and they thought maybe a call from Social Services was in order, and couldn't hurt?

Maybe that person at the bank had experienced other people getting scammed, and decided to be proactive this time, just in case, even if officially they couldn't do anything on behalf of the bank? Just a thought.

-ERD50

That would be overstepping to a huge degree...

He stopped the transaction as he was being prompted to download the app when credit card info was being requested. No credit card info was entered.
He told one golf buddy about it who is older than we are and who had had a similar experience. He did not call social services.

Ivinsfan— where do I say I agreed to have social services do a check in? We were not home when they allegedly came to our house twice. My husband received a phone call from them saying they were attempting to do a check in. He told them he did not want a check in and then followed up with an email to social services because we would like to know how they got information about all of this if the bank did not report this to them as the bank has indicated. He will be going to their office

We are hopeful that no identity theft was committed. It’s the social services piece that has us confused.

What's the difference between them coming to your home and your DH going to their office. I'm not trying to be difficult here just wondering.

Trying to unpack this. Please confirm and/or correct the sequence of events I'm listing below.

1. You receive a paper invoice for medical services in the US Mail.

2. This paper invoice directs you to a website where you are told you can pay the medical bill.

3. The website, is, in fact, a payment portal for the medical provider you visited? Is this correct? Or is it uncertain?

4. The following might be very important. You said when the payment website asked your husband to download an app to enter the credit card information your husband stopped the process. However, at the start of the process, before the website wanted you to download the credit card payment app, did your husband enter any information, like his name, address, phone number, email address?

If so, this means that website has your husband's personal information but not his credit card information.

5. You call the bank and report the incident.

6. A couple of days later you get a call from social services saying they attempted to visit you. Did you ask what day and time those alleged visits occurred? It would be interesting to see if their visits match up with the times you were, in fact, not at home.

7. Social services said they were checking in on you because someone reported an identity theft involving your husband and even went into detail saying it involved the payment of a medical bill. The only entity that knows about a possible identity theft is your bank and your husband's golf buddy, but both deny calling social services. Is there anyone else that might possibly know about this incident?

At this point it can be assumed the only way that social services can connect your husband with an attempted identity theft involving a medical bill is if:
a.) the bank told them, but bank denies this.
b.) the golf buddy told them, but he denies this.
c.) you told someone else, who told social services
d.) the payment portal website told social services. (This raises red flags.)
e.) social services isn't really social services. Instead they are connected to the (alleged) payment portal service. This is a scary thought.

When you have your in person meeting with social services, before you answer any questions I'd start asking questions--ask them when their workers called at your house. See if those times were when you weren't at home. Ask them for the names of the people that came to your house. If they don't want to give you this information that should be a warning sign. After all, if you had been at home surely they would have given you a business card with their names or otherwise identified themselves.

Ask them again who reported to them. If they are hesitant to name names, ask them if the source of their information is an individual or an organization.

What's the difference between them coming to your home and your DH going to their office. I'm not trying to be difficult here just wondering.

If they come to your home how do you know they are actually from social services? They could be scammers that will ask for a bunch more personal information.

If you go to their offices, it's pretty certain that is in fact, social services.

Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

-ERD50
That would be overstepping to a huge degree...

No doubt. But if that person at the bank has seen other people, maybe their own family members, get scammed out of $$$$, they sure could be inclined to report it anonymously - I know I would.

-ERD50

If they come to your home how do you know they are actually from social services? They could be scammers that will ask for a bunch more personal information.

If you go to their offices, it's pretty certain that is in fact, social services.

Agree with this. It could all be a misunderstanding, but in case it's not, going to the actual office ensure you aren't on the end of some more (hopefully unlikely) elaborate scam. It rules a lot of stuff that can be faked, like ID badges, or phone call spoofs.

I would also ensure your husband is in the mode of listen vs. talk. Find out why they think you need them, and then take that info back to you. Tell them nothing more than is really needed, and ask to follow up if they seem to be getting too much into your business.

Do you have children? Do they know about the bill paying incident?

P.S. - I also would go to the actual office of the Department of Social Services and meet in person.

You misunderstand, my question is how is social services involved in any way what so ever? I would not interact with them in any way. I wouldn't go to their office or invite them in my home. My question was why is the OP interacting with SS?

Agree with this. It could all be a misunderstanding, but in case it's not, going to the actual office ensure you aren't on the end of some more (hopefully unlikely) elaborate scam. It rules a lot of stuff that can be faked, like ID badges, or phone call spoofs.

I would also ensure your husband is in the mode of listen vs. talk. Find out why they think you need them, and then take that info back to you. Tell them nothing more than is really needed, and ask to follow up if they seem to be getting too much into your business.

I'm confused, how does social services just involve themselves in your private business. I would tell them to go pound sand. I wouldn't go to their office or let them in my home...

Back
Top Bottom