Identity theft question

Do you have children? Do they know about the bill paying incident?

P.S. - I also would go to the actual office of the Department of Social Services and meet in person.

Tell me why you would do this...your life is none of their business.

No doubt. But if that person at the bank has seen other people, maybe their own family members, get scammed out of $$$$, they sure could be inclined to report it anonymously - I know I would.

-ERD50

I'm pretty sure that breaks all banking rules and regs...and it does not make sense. You call social services about a customer that was questioning if an online banking app was legit and wanted to be sure their money wasn't compromised? WTH..

Now there could be part of this story missing from the OP's end but who knows?

Tell me why you would do this...your life is none of their business.

I'm not advocating at all that vafoodie tell their children. I'm only trying to help figure out who may have called social services for a wellness visit. Concerned children, who may have been told about the bill paying incident but who are not nearby, could have made the call to social services with the purest of intentions, to protect their parents.

You misunderstand, my question is how is social services involved in any way what so ever?

Because social services said that someone reported an identity theft incident involving a medical payment with vafoodie and husband.

I would not interact with them in any way. I wouldn't go to their office or invite them in my home. My question was why is the OP interacting with SS?

Because social services is the only lead they have available right now to investigate possible identity theft.

I appreciate ya’ll trying to help us get to the bottom of this. After posting, I’ve had my husband go over details again (and again). A couple of new details and answers to some of your questions:
Hubs did not type in https when going to the site. Apparently, this is a BIG no no, but honestly, I never type that in either. After the fact, we see on the bill, “Be sure to type in https”
He DID enter credit card info, hence the call to the bank.
We took the ipad he was working on to the Geek Squad who said there was no concern about malware since he deleted the app. We did not even give Geek Squad our name. They didn’t even need to look at the ipad.
Yes, he entered address and phone number on the site.
We immediately suspended that account and have since gotten a replacement debit card.
Latexman—no. Not a provider we usually use. Some damn little $27 bill associated with his colonoscopy.
Ivinsfan—the difference is now we are going to get some answers to our questions with a scheduled meeting vs. a surprise wellness check from social services.

Q Laptop—the time they said they visited (twice) coincides with a time we were not home. Remember too that this guy calls from a non business phone also registered not to him. When my husband spoke with him subsequently after my husband’s email to his boss at social services, he was calling on a county phone. Our initial thought was that “social services” was part of the scam, but emails and the fact that we will be having a meeting at their offices indicates that they are, indeed, really social services who just operate in an unprofessional manner. This is now my husband’s main concern along with wanting to know who reported it because whoever reported it has a lot of information. Then again, everybody has too much information about all of us.
Other people who may have reported it? We’re arguing about it now and wracking our brains. He now thinks the director of meals on wheels for whom we deliver may be the culprit, but he rarely chats with this woman, and I was with him when we picked up our meals. No discussion of this incident that I heard. Since hubs is obsessed with this, he can’t remember what he said to her. We’ll see her tomorrow, and he’s going to ask. Meeting with social services is Thursday.
Gumby—yes—a 29 yo, who was with my husband when the first call from social services came in. She’s too self-involved to call social services on us, but this whole thing is making me feel like I’m in one of those movies where the theme is you never really know anyone.
I’m just glad husband did this as I’d ensconced in fecal matter it had been me.

Last edited:
I'm not advocating at all that vafoodie tell their children. I'm only trying to help figure out who may have called social services for a wellness visit. Concerned children, who may have been told about the bill paying incident but who are not nearby, could have made the call to social services with the purest of intentions, to protect their parents.

this actually begs the question, who can call and "rat you out" to SS...anybody? someone at your bank, because you got confused about a new app? someone who doesn't like you and wants to cause trouble? this is troublesome...wellness visit my A@@ .... this is a pretty big rabbit hole...

Because social services said that someone reported an identity theft incident involving a medical payment with vafoodie and husband.

Because social services is the only lead they have available right now to investigate possible identity theft.

Excuse me for asking but how in the heck does social services investigate identity theft. That's a job for the police. Also the OP doesn't say they had identity theft they said they were concerned the app was compromised.

Last edited:
va foodie I feel for you but it you think they won't be doing a wellness "assessment" at this meeting you are naive. Also I'm virtually certain they won't be telling you who called them about you. So no they probably won't answer your questions.

I don't see any upside in meeting in person with them. Ask them on the phone or email who wanted the wellness check? To be clear you aren't really sure you were scammed by anyone correct? Do I have that part right?

Ivansfan—the questions you list are exactly the questions my husband plans to ask. He is very upset about the government overreach aspect of this situation. I, on the other hand, just think about all the poor people being abused in nursing homes, who could use some time from social services. I am also a retired teacher, and have had to call social services for children and have not been able to get a hold of them, so…Believe me, I am not encouraging this meeting, and I tease him that he needs to go back to work if he wants meetings so badly, but he is hell-bent on doing this. This meeting is not a wellness check. The wellness check never happened because we were not home. This meeting will be my husband ranting about the ineptitude of social services. I’m not planning to go.

I .... The wellness check never happened because we were not home. ....

I think what ivansfan is saying is that SS (Social Services) will use this meeting as an evaluation/wellness check, without calling it that.

I .... This meeting will be my husband ranting about the ineptitude of social services. I’m not planning to go.

This does not sound good at all. Ranting, and you not there to witness could end up in a bad evaluation. I don't think this is the right way to proceed.

You should check into your state regulations, IIRC, there was a thread here a few years back linking an article where some scamming SS employee was in cahoots with a judge, and they'd declare people unable to care for themselves, and make all sorts of financial decisions for them that benefited the SS worker.

Be careful. IMO, it's a BIG mistake to let your husband go there alone with a plan to rant.

I also cannot rule anything out, since we are hearing one side of the story. Perhaps someone (family/friend) has a legitimate concern of your welfare?

-ERD50

A bizarre and sad situation that can all be traced back to a misunderstanding with technology. There never was an identity theft or a fraud committed. There was fear associated with not understanding a payment portal and then taking steps that made the situation worse.
I have said on here before, I think it is imperative that as we age, we need to keep ourselves apprised of technology and the security features available to us or else put ourselves at a disadvantage.
I feel for the OP and I hope they keep us updated on what happens.

Last edited:
A bizarre and sad situation that can all be traced back to a misunderstanding with technology. There never was an identity theft or a fraud committed. There was fear associated with not understanding a payment portal and then taking steps that made the situation worse.
I have said on here before, I think it is imperative that as we age, we need to keep ourselves apprised of technology and the security features available to us or else put ourselves at a disadvantage.
I feel for the OP and I hope they keep us updated on what happens.

Well up to date or not if social services got called every time one of us had a doh uh oh, moment with a new app, a funny looking email or a strange text they'd be over run with people that needed a check.

Someone somewhere called this in...the question is why? and who? Is it someone who knows the OP, knows what happened at the bank and has a long running concern? Is it someone at the bank?...those are pretty much the only 2 options at this point. If it was someone that knows them perhaps there is something to look at. If it was the second, I'd want some heads to roll. Say it's the bank, the OP was concerned that they accidentally interacted with a fake app apparently with a card connected to their bank account. They delete everything and call the bank to make sure everything looks ok, for peace of mind they ask for a new CC number. They might sound upset on the phone because they feel silly and or embarrassed.

This justifies a call to SS no and no again.

Well up to date or not if social services got called every time one of us had a doh uh oh, moment with a new app, a funny looking email or a strange text they'd be over run with people that needed a check.

Someone somewhere called this in...the question is why? and who? Is it someone who knows the OP, knows what happened at the bank and has a long running concern? Is it someone at the bank?...those are pretty much the only 2 options at this point. If it was someone that knows them perhaps there is something to look at. If it was the second, I'd want some heads to roll. Say it's the bank, the OP was concerned that they accidentally interacted with a fake app apparently with a card connected to their bank account. They delete everything and call the bank to make sure everything looks ok, for peace of mind they ask for a new CC number. They might sound upset on the phone because they feel silly and or embarrassed.

This justifies a call to SS no and no again.
The bank should not have ever been called. There are multiple things that could have been done to verify that a breach did not take place. Sharing the incident is where the problems began.

Personally, I don't think the Medical payment app issue and the SS call have anything to do with each other. If there's ever a resolution to this situation, I'd be willing to bet one whole highly inflated US dollar that timing was the only relationship between the two situations. I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

If it does turn out to be because someone at the bank called SS, I'd be pretty upset. But my attitude towards SS and police and most other potentially dangerous forms of authority is avoid, avoid, avoid. In this case I'd avoid meeting with SS, and forget about the potential identity theft. I haven't seen any indication that it was real, and the minor app and credit card issues that have been discussed happen all the time, and seldom result in a real problem.

This meeting will be my husband ranting about the ineptitude of social services. I’m not planning to go.
That is not a good idea. As I mentioned before, he should plan to listen, but say as little as possible.

You have no idea what was reported, or by whom. You do not want to throw gas on this fire with any sort of rant. For all you know the two incidents (bank/app) and the social services thing are unrelated.

Your DH should be asking "Why are you interested in us" and then just let them explain.

If he only plans to let them have it (for contacting you?) then you should go as well, or cancel the whole thing.

That is not a good idea. As I mentioned before, he should plan to listen, but say as little as possible.

You have no idea what was reported, or by whom. You do not want to throw gas on this fire with any sort of rant. For all you know the two incidents (bank/app) and the social services thing are unrelated.

Your DH should be asking "Why are you interested in us" and then just let them explain.

If he only plans to let them have it (for contacting you?) then you should go as well, or cancel the whole thing.

You really think they are going to explain? No they are not....but they most certainly will be listening to every word you say. I wouldn't go and I wouldn't let them in my house.

The bank should not have ever been called. There are multiple things that could have been done to verify that a breach did not take place. Sharing the incident is where the problems began.
No if the so called report was done by the bank, that's where the problem began. You can't call the bank to ask about your own money in your own account? I call BS.

No if the so called report was done by the bank, that's where the problem began. You can't call the bank to ask about your own money in your own account? I call BS.
You can call your bank, but there are more advanced ways to understand what happened.
It was a transaction through a portal. There are many ways to monitor that without calling the bank and then telling others about it. I can freeze transfers with a few clicks. All my accounts are on transfer lockdown for example. Once the cat was out of the bag, there was no controlling who heard the story. Now they are trying to pick up the pieces.

Last edited:
You can call your bank, but there are more advanced ways to understand what happened.
It was a transaction through a portal. There are many ways to monitor that without calling the bank and then telling others about it. Once the cat was out of the bag, there was no controlling who heard the story. Now they are trying to pick up the pieces.

Agree to this but you are telling me some rando that knows your name can just call SS and say I don't think John Doe understood our financial transaction why don't you send someone over to his house and give him the 3rd degree? I repeat my advice to the OP say nothing to SS...

Agree to this but you are telling me some rando that knows your name can just call SS and say I don't think John Doe understood our financial transaction why don't you send someone over to his house and give him the 3rd degree? I repeat my advice to the OP say nothing to SS...

My premise is fraud did not take place and the call was placed by a concerned party who likely knows more than what we are being told here.

Saying nothing makes it look like you are hiding something. Ripping on someone as the OP suggested her partner would do is also harmful.

I would sit down and have a polite discussion without giving up too much information until I understand the goals of social services.

Frankly the way this story unfolded here, more convoluted than clear, there may actually be something going on.

My premise is fraud did not take place and the call was placed by a concerned party who likely knows more than what we are being told here.

Saying nothing makes it look like you are hiding something. Ripping on someone as the OP suggested her partner would do is also harmful.

I would sit down and have a polite discussion without giving up too much information until I understand the goals of social services.

Frankly the way this story unfolded here, more convoluted than clear, there may actually be something going on.

I respect your position although I do not agree with it! From my point of view if you don't answer all their questions you are considered a problem yet they have no requirement to answer ANY of your questions. I disagree that saying nothing suggest you might be hiding something. See you don't have a "polite" discussion with SS anymore then you have a "polite" discussion with the police when you are being questioned about something in your life. I am beyond curious about how this turns out.

I respect your position although I do not agree with it! From my point of view if you don't answer all their questions you are considered a problem yet they have no requirement to answer ANY of your questions. I disagree that saying nothing suggest you might be hiding something. See you don't have a "polite" discussion with SS anymore then you have a "polite" discussion with the police when you are being questioned about something in your life. I am beyond curious about how this turns out.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Considering how many of your posts I've read this makes me laugh out loud..how about this one, there is no point in closing the barn door after the horse is gone...:dance: or to misquote Nike....just say no....

Back
Top Bottom