Post Pictures of your HD TV Setup

Many audiophiles seem to look down on Bose for some reason but my dad has a Bose set up and to me they sound INCREDIBLE!

I plan on getting an inexpensive 5.1 system with my new tv but after listening to the Bose I may have to upgrade.

They're McIntosh ML-1Cs. I bought the speakers and the MC 2100 amp back in 1971. The amp was refurbished by the factory a couple of months ago and I replaced the woofer surrounds about 3 months ago. They still sound as good as new. I saved for a long time to afford that equipment and caught a lot of flack for spending $1200 on it but, it was well worth it as far as I'm concerned; they've served me well for 40 years.
Cool. That's the good thing about speakers. No worry about obsolescence, if you take care of them they'll last a lifetime. $1.2k was quite a bit back then, but you definitely got your money's worth.:)

Those tall speakers you see in my photo above are Sony's from Amazon for $100. Probably not the greatest but they sound good enough for us. I've had two speaker sets with disintegrating foam around the speakers after maybe 15 years (each pair). I also have some cheap speakers in the rear for surround sound and got a $120 Sony subwoofer.

I'm not an audiophile but respect those who want the best :).

Wow, I feel out of date looking at these. Still using the same 56" Panasonic projection HDTV I bought back in 1999. It was one of the first HDTVs ever made and cost several times as much as comparable TVs today. Last weekend I bought my first flat-screen - a 42" Vizio LCD that will be used in our exercise room. Not a fancy model but it doesn't need to be for workout DVD's and AVI files.

Sharp Aquos HDTV with 32" diagonal screen, vintage 2006.
Audio components of various ages (home theatre, DVD/VHS combo, 5 CD player with shuffle) and digital cable/DVR box on left, Playstation 3 below TV.
Sound: 2 JVC SX-F7TH narrow tower speakers. 1 medium size speaker sits atop the unit (behind the mermaid), with 2 smaller speakers located elsewhere in the room.
I had to remove the slide mounted doors on the oak entertainment center to fit the TV. I open the glass front side door for adequate ventilation when I am running the home theater system. I have an add-on fan accessory for the PS3 to keep it cooled.

Attachments

• SharpAquos32inchdiag.jpg
    SharpAquos32inchdiag.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
DH has been lusting over flat screen tvs lately. The tv we have now is 57".

I think a flat screen would look nicer than the 'boat' we have now; except I know we'll keep the speakers. We have six of them...DH says they're needed for his 'blow stuff up' movies. :rolleyes:

The day we hauled the big tube style tv to the dump was a happy one. The flat screen takes up much less space.

This one is 46 inches and plenty big for our purposes. We added some speakers in the ceiling although didn't feel they were really needed for the TV.... still it was a good excuse and now have those speakers in several rooms. We run the stereo through them and can switch off various rooms - very handy. I think our speakers are JBLs but many folks make them.

We made the TV "stand" and the top overhangs the bottom by a couple of inches to help hide the electronic rats nest. It's plywood and teak.

The electronic stuff under there is a roku, the cable box, a dvd player and and old vcr (which we are currently blowing taps for).

Attachments

• tv.jpg
    tv.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 14
  • tv 2.jpg
    tv 2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 7
DH has been lusting over flat screen tvs lately. The tv we have now is 57".
The technical term for that is "PlasmaLust":D There's only one treatment, and it only works until larger screens are on sale - then it recurs...

Last edited:
I like Janet H's "stand". In the house we sold in 2011 we had our LCD projections TV in a corner on a built-in shelf that was attached to each wall with brackets and the components on shelves underneath. I actually like the look of that set up.

Will post mine once I can find the cord to connect the camera to the laptop.

Is it bad that I am scanning all these pictures to see if there are any products I worked on.

(I have more than a decade in the settop business. And yeah - some of you have settops I've worked on. But any bugs/glitches are strictly the other guys code, not mine. Except when it's my code. Darn that admit-you're-wrong poll.)

We have two. A 42" plasma we bought in '03 and a 32" LCD I inherited and set up in the basement for a future home theater.

Attachments

• upstairs.jpg
    upstairs.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 11
  • downstairs.jpg
    downstairs.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 6
No, it's mine. :)

It was a "Congratulations for lasting 25 years at Megacorp" [-]consolation prize[/-] gift.

Seems like 25 years should warrant a grandfather clock:D

54" Plasma screen. The speakers are built into the wall - we did the stereo wiring and speakers when the house was built. Also the bracing for the wall-mounted TV. NHT speakers. There are two more speakers mounted behind the viewer for surround sound.

Attachments

• HDTV-Stereo-setup800.jpg
    HDTV-Stereo-setup800.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 16
We have two. A 42" plasma we bought in '03 and a 32" LCD I inherited and set up in the basement for a future home theater.

Why do you have a picture of Nords in his dress whites below your TV:confused:

The day we hauled the big tube style tv to the dump was a happy one. The flat screen takes up much less space.

This one is 46 inches and plenty big for our purposes. We added some speakers in the ceiling although didn't feel they were really needed for the TV.... still it was a good excuse and now have those speakers in several rooms. We run the stereo through them and can switch off various rooms - very handy. I think our speakers are JBLs but many folks make them.

We made the TV "stand" and the top overhangs the bottom by a couple of inches to help hide the electronic rats nest. It's plywood and teak.

The electronic stuff under there is a roku, the cable box, a dvd player and and old vcr (which we are currently blowing taps for).

Love the bonus pet pics:D

Looks like fireplaces are often in the way for TV placement. Got something of that problem myself. Thought about removing the fireplace altogether.

Looks like fireplaces are often in the way for TV placement. Got something of that problem myself. Thought about removing the fireplace altogether.
The bottom of our TV is only 23" above the floor so that the center of view is about 38" above the floor. We had to get entertainment center shelves that were only 21" tall.

We installed a 55" set on a wall mount a few years ago. The space and mounting bracket ae large enough to let us install up to a 72" TV at some point in the future, if we want to go that route. There's a surge protected outlet and a low voltage wiring channel behind the set. The bench cabinet below the TV holds the usual electronics, along with a WiFi access point on the home gigabit network. Power, MATV, and satellite dish outlets are behind the bench, along with the other end of the wiring channel.

DW picked out a nice modular 3-recliner slightly curved sofa sort of seating that is about 11 feet back from the screen, just about in the middle of the room. There's a wall sized cabinet opposite the TV, with a serving counter in the middle for snacks and whatnot as needed. :)

Last edited:
Oh Jeez. Our TV looks so small!
Unlike those thin, flimsy flat screens, my set has REAL 3D built right into it, and comes with its own sturdy stand. http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/147582-2/DuMont+RA-113B3+front+open+2.jpg
We have a 29" Panasonic CRT, and if spouse ever sees GrayHare's model then she'd offer to buy it when they're done with it.

She sort of locked herself into the CRT because she bought three huge wall units (in 1984) that anchor the room décor. The TV sits in the middle of the middle wall unit, so if she decided to go any bigger then she'd have to replace everything on that wall.

As a guy (and a marriage veteran survivor) I know better than to interject my clueless opinions into that type of "conversation". I suspect we'll only update the TV when there are no longer any connecting cables or DVRs for it.

Why do you have a picture of Nords in his dress whites below your TV:confused:
Damn, I thought I already shredded all those negatives...

Back
Top Bottom