Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2019, 10:39 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
Years ago computers would get massively better every few years. But now they are better, but not massively so. The difference is speed of saving a few seconds doesn't seem worth the expense.
So true.
After reading about the M2 SSD things, that won't fit in my computer, I started dreaming of upgrading.
However, I only spent $350 seven years ago to build a 6 core, 12 Gig Ram machine. About a year ago I put in an SSD.

Things have not improved much if I look at spending $600 for a machine.

Frankly mine is faster than me now

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Iíve been pondering whether to upgrade my mid-2012 MacBook Pro to a Crucial SSD. Maybe Iíll ponder it a while longer...

Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #103
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
Iíve been pondering whether to upgrade my mid-2012 MacBook Pro to a Crucial SSD. Maybe Iíll ponder it a while longer...

It'll give it a new lease on life. There's a world of difference between SSD and HD; just not a world of difference for consumer workloads between SATA SSD and NVMe SSD.

If you're reluctant to go with 2.5" form factor now because your next device will use M.2 internally, you could do one of these https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820147681 and stick it in one of those https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA6V84GH9574 . Just keep in mind that's SATA M.2, not NVMe (PCIe) M.2. All the enclosure does is make the SATA signals available on standard SATA connectors.

That's what's in my PC and XBox One X now, and I'm happy with it. Plenty of space for all my stuff, and no more waiting on a hard drive to spin the platter under the head.
yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestUniversity View Post
I found putting an SSD inside an old machine, like my laptop, made it super fast.

Added benefit for a laptop is the increased durability, you can pick it up, swing it around, set it down not gently, and no worries the hard disk will crash as there is none.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Even though I had a failure, I can't imagine going back to disk based drives for the main partition. The SSD made a huge difference all around.

OK, I still used disk based drives for my long term backup since it is cheaper.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

SSDs are inherently more reliable than mechanical hard drives, but one important consideration for many newer machines is that the SSDs are soldered onto the computer main board to save space, so they are not user replaceable. The result is that the reliability of SSD is tied to the reliability of the entire computer. The computer dies, and my data dies with it.

All of my computers except one have the SSDs soldered on the main board, and I am equally paranoid about backing all of them up.
Smitty700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty700 View Post
SSDs are inherently more reliable than mechanical hard drives, but one important consideration for many newer machines is that the SSDs are soldered onto the computer main board to save space, so they are not user replaceable. The result is that the reliability of SSD is tied to the reliability of the entire computer. The computer dies, and my data dies with it.

All of my computers except one have the SSDs soldered on the main board, and I am equally paranoid about backing all of them up.
Are all you computers Apple ones ?
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #108

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Are all you computers Apple ones ?
OP here. So this was the case with my computer. Soldered down. It is a generic Wintel box, not Apple.

It does have an mSATA slot that is bootable, so I recovered the computer by plugging in a 250G Samsung SSD and pointing the boot order to it. Once reinstalled, works great. Actually, faster than the original soldered down drive.

Whether I lost data from a removable or not doesn't matter. It is lost data. So backup. But your point is well taken. If something else on the computer dies, you can't get at your data that is still good on that soldered down drive!

Another downside to this soldered down drive is I now effectively have one less "slot" for a drive in this tiny desktop. Actually, I now have no extra slot. The Samsung is it.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #109

Quote:

Your data may be recoverable, so long as we can boot? I'm having a problem with the design.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Your data may be recoverable, so long as we can boot? I'm having a problem with the design.
A lot of things can fail (CPU, bus controller) that makes the entire device not bootable in any way. When that happens, getting to that soldered down data is extremely difficult. Fixing the fault may not be possible or practical.

Other things can fail (power supply, DRAM) that are very easy to fix, but require skilled diagnosis.

Contrast to a removable drive. You just pop out the drive from the problem system, and place it in an open compatible slot in a different system and you can recover your files.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Contrast to a removable drive. You just pop out the drive from the problem system, and place it in an open compatible slot in a different system and you can recover your files.
Yes, and what of the sensitive data that remains on the SSD? With a removable I can take care of that in various ways.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, and what of the sensitive data that remains on the SSD? With a removable I can take care of that in various ways.
Of course if the computer is not repairable, you can break it open and sledge hammer the soldered hard drive.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM   #113

Quote:
Of course if the computer is not repairable, you can break it open and sledge hammer the soldered hard drive.
I'm not familiar with the makeup, but does that destroy all data? For example, I can hit magnetic drive with sledge, but that alone won't destroy all data on the platters.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #114

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the makeup, but does that destroy all data? For example, I can hit magnetic drive with sledge, but that alone won't destroy all data on the platters.
I put an angle grinder to the platters, both sides.

I grind down the chips inside the USBs.

I presume I'll grind down the chip off the board when it comes time to destroy this thing. Problem is, from the top I can't see it. It may be on the other side. And, I may not even know what chip it is, although I know it is a Foresee brand as reported by BIOS.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #115

I remove the platters and line the firepit with them.
The grinder sounds like a necessary tool for the future.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I found putting an SSD inside an old machine, like my laptop, made it super fast.

Added benefit for a laptop is the increased durability, you can pick it up, swing it around, set it down not gently, and no worries the hard disk will crash as there is none.

Okay, I have an SSD drive and a transfer cable saved to one of my Amazon lists. DW and I are about to hit the road on a trip so I will take care of that project when we get back...
Old 02-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #117

A ramdisk for temporary files will reduce disk access, making it a nice complement to an SSD.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I take hard drives apart, besides making it impossible to ever read the data, they have incredible super magnets (rare earth magnets) inside. You need to get a special screwdriver at HD, then it's very easy, they hide a few screws under the label.

When throwing out the platters, I just put them on the concrete driveway and spin my foot on them a couple of times, flip and spin. Nobody is reading those.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:26 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
A ramdisk for temporary files will reduce disk access, making it a nice complement to an SSD.
I used to use a ramdisk for floppy drives and the old hard-drives, but SSD's are so fast, I never felt a need.

But having lots of memory does mean much less swapping. I have 12 Gig of ram on my desktop.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:04 AM   #120

Quote:
I take hard drives apart, besides making it impossible to ever read the data, they have incredible super magnets (rare earth magnets) inside. You need to get a special screwdriver at HD, then it's very easy, they hide a few screws under the label.

When throwing out the platters, I just put them on the concrete driveway and spin my foot on them a couple of times, flip and spin. Nobody is reading those.
I remove the platters and line the firepit with them.
Have an amazing set of tools from 30 years of computer support. Who else had a Mac Cracker?