Propane tank for home?

Propane scares me and I have yet to convert my two fireplaces to gas logs. Just something about burning the real thing ...that I like.

I mentioned that we're low on firewood this year. Today I'm going to pick up some of these for testing, and if they are good as guys on the wood heating forum say, I'll use them to get through the year.

Home Fire Logs - About Our Logs

1 cord of pine produces 2142 lbs * 6407 BTU/lb = 13,723,794 BTUs 1 ton of HomeFire logs produces 2000 lbs * 8126 BTU/lb = 16,252,000 BTUs
Cost of 1 cord of pine: $300
Cost of 1 ton of Homefire Logs: $456

Pine: $21.86 per 1 million BTUs
HomeFire Logs: $ 28.05 per 1 million BTUs

Here's a corrected link:

Home Fire Logs - About Our Logs

if they are almost $7 per million BTU more, why would you go with them?
It's because I'm low on firewood right now, so if I were to buy real wood, it wouldn't have time to season properly, that is, it would not be dry enough. "Seasoned" wood would be more expensive, and still probably not dry enough to burn efficiently right away.

But there are some advantages that could make these worth the extra cost. Since they are so much more dense (see link), there is a lot less wood handling. 3.5 times less stacking and into-the-house bringing.

I got some test logs yesterday, and I lit three 30 minutes ago.

... One thing I really loved about the tankless was that I could dial the temperature as high as it would go, fill my brew kettle with it, and I was most of the way to heating it to the temperature required for brewing beer....

hmmm, how did the beer taste?

Back
Top Bottom