Proud new Speed Queen owners

A couple of things we found with a front end loader. Pros: use less water, clothes come out drier due to high spin rates. Cons: Don't clean as well especially with ground in stains (ex: softball uniforms), can not soak laundry, have tendency to mildew (can't leave closed on vacation) have special cleaning solutions to remove mildew, require High Efficiency (low sudsing) soap which is more expensive. If you like high end technology front end loaders are the way to go. If you want something simple that simply cleans clothes a top loader is best. For us old school was better.

Some of the new top load machines have similar features and efficiency as front loaders with out some of the issues. The issue with the door seal was a game stopper for me so we went with an LG top loader. It has the fast spin (but I don't particularly care for that feature). It doesn't clean as well as the ol Kenmore. I love how it measures the load and self balances. Plays a cute tune when it's done and reliable so far in 4 yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I hadn't read this thread until today, and had never heard of Speed Queen brand. However, due to an outbreak of head lice and the need to wash an immense amount of bedding and other stuff, DGD and I made our way to the local Laundromat. First time I've been in one since college ('78). Most of the machines in there were Speed Queen. Very interesting, with many different sizes, and doors like a submarine. Also, I discovered it costs more than a quarter/load these days. $3, $4, $5, or $6 per load, depending on machine size. Also interesting, they still only take quarters, one at a time. So after getting $30 worth of quarters I assigned DGD the job of loading in the money while I loaded the laundry.

They seem like good machines, but nothing to make me toss out my existing machines. The only reason we went to the Laundromat is that trying to wash that many loads of heavy bedding would have taken us two or three days in a single machine.

So anyway, no matter what new thing I learn, as usual the ER forum members were there before me.

So far I am in love with the new Speed Queen. It gets the clothes really clean, has fairly short cycles, and is very delicate on the clothes, rugs, etc. It is also much quieter and has almost no vibration at all compared to our last two top load, agitator washing machines. The noisiest part is when the water is filling or emptying. The machine is very quiet, even when on high speed spin. Our laundry closet backs up to the same wall that our bed does, and I can wash clothes after my man goes to bed. I only wish the dryer was as quiet.

The cats also give the washer 2 thumbs up and love to watch it when it is on.

As far as we know, we don't have to do regular maintenance on it to keep it from smelling like on the Samsungs & other brands. We do leave the door slightly open when we are not using it though.

Last edited:
As far as we know, we don't have to do regular maintenance on it to keep it from smelling like on the Samsungs & other brands. We do leave the door slightly open when we are not using it though.

We get no odors from our Samsung top loaders and we do close the lids when not in use.

We had LG front loaders and yes, the drying cycles were shorter. But...the wash cycle was often over an hour, stains wouldn't come out and sometimes the detergent would stain the clothes. Often, my funky flightsuits would require 2 washes to get the airplane funk out...so...we sold them and bought an old top loader set for $200 on Craigslist...and I couldn't be happier!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

We get no odors from our Samsung top loaders and we do close the lids when not in use.
I have heard about the odors but apparently so have the manufacturers? Anyway, absolutely no odors in my LG top loader HE machine, although I do leave the lid up when it is not in use, just in case. That's all I do.

It washes in 59 minutes and dries in 41 minutes, for a total of 100 minutes. That's 20 minutes faster than wash+dry with my old GE agitator washer set. My clothes come out SO much cleaner than they did with the old set. Stains that had been in my clothes for years simply vanished, and my clothes smell so nice.

I am really glad that I chose a good, highly rated model. I keep reading so many horror stories about washer/dryer sets online. It's sort of like Windows 10; I keep reading horror stories about that, too. I am agnostic, but now and then I wonder if I have a somewhat techie guardian angel looking out for me. :)

Last edited:
Top loaders don't have the odor problem because the doors (lids) do not seal when closed.

LG seems to be a higher rated brand. I'm about to give up on the 20 + year old Maytag, but there's a new Whirlpool/Kenmore non-HE machine I bought several years ago waiting its turn in the garage.

We're looking at replacing our 7 month old LG front loader piece of crap with the Speed Queens. Impressive warranty. Unfortunately, I need stacking units, so front loader is it.

Dreaming, does it require any maintenance?

Back
Top Bottom