Question (mainly for women)

I go shopping 1x a year and take a very clothing-savvy girlfriend with me.

This was going to be my suggestion. If you have a friend, associate, neighbor, former coworker, etc. that can go with you and help, it would be useful. As a guy, I rarely go clothes shopping without my wife, because I am fashion impaired. She's honest enough to say "that looks ridiculous and there is no way in hell you are wearing that near me", so she helps me weed out stuff that doesn't look great. Clearly an honest person is more helpful than someone who would merely parrot "you look great in that outfit" to everything. :D

I'm the same age and hate to shop for clothes, always have. I found the Bandolindblu jeans at Sam's Club recently and love them. They have the stretch in them, fit well and aren't expensive. I also agree about Kohl's. The prices are great and the clothes wear and last well. Good luck!!

I recommend avoiding Victoria Secret if you have something to really "put into a bra" - they have also gone to vanity sizing - and unless you have little ones needing padding, pushing, oompfing, etc. avoid VS - or it will be a stressfull trip.

I heard about Lucky jeans on the radio this morning, and read here about them as well. Researching them online now....

Wishing you the best Khan with your shopping adventures today!

This may be a bit late but I found that Docker's Women's fit me well. I am a bit heavier (and a LOT older) than you so a 16W might be too generious. Docker's online often has sales &/or free shipping, and you can return via UPS for free if they don't work out for you.

If you go to Sears, look at the Land End area (Sears bought them), nice quality stuff that lasts forever.

Kohl's has better quality stuff than Target, IMHO. I also WOULD make a trip to TJ Maxx of they have one near you....sometimes you can "steal" clothes there.........:)

As a guy, I rarely go clothes shopping without my wife, because I am fashion impaired.
If this is going to be opened up to men's clothes buying strategies I have 2-for day to day I buy at the Army-Navy surplus store.

If I want something to look snappier, I first go to Ross.

If I strike out there I go to Macy's or Banana Republic or Old Navy or almost any other downtown store, and if I don't see just what I want, or if I can't make up my mind about a color or style, I put it on and ask a stylish young woman clerk or a gay man what s/he thinks. I wore a shirt that a gay guy picked out for me to my son's wedding reception. 3 years later I introduced myself to a young woman at a party as his house. She said, "Oh I know you, you wore that beautiful blue shirt to X&Y's reception." I guarantee nothing that I find on my own is likely to be remembered 3 years later!

Same with gifts for my granddaughter or SILs or other women- I pick something and then ask a stylish younger woman her opinion. I do not ignore what she says. :) For the kid stuff I will usually pick a woman old enough to be a Mom herself, as today these little girls are about as trendy as teenagers are.

Ha

If this is going to be opened up to men's clothes buying strategies I have 2-for day to day I buy at the Army-navy surplus store.

If I want something to look snappier, I first go to Ross.

This weekend I found myself wearing drab green shorts and shirt. Twice. Keep me away from the Army/Navy surplus... :D This was just around the house and out clearing a hillside, so nobody except the neighbors saw me.

I second the Ross suggestion - good stuff and at least at one of the ones near me, I think it is the remaindered merchandise from the Saks and Neiman Marcus and other department stores at the mall 1000 ft away. Mostly name brand labels, but usually 60-80% off. DW shops there as well. I think it is like TJ Maxx.

So Khan....how'd it go? What (if ANYTHING) did you decide on? :greetings10:

Blue jeans, black jeans, black slacks, leggings, bras, undies, moccasins, black flats, turtlenecks, socks, v-neck long sleeve something or other, electric toothbrush, backup reading glasses.

Tomorrow I buy gas and hit the ATM.

Blue jeans, black jeans, black slacks, leggings, bras, undies, moccasins, black flats, turtlenecks, socks, v-neck long sleeve something or other, electric toothbrush, backup reading glasses.

Wow ! I am so impressed ! You did great !

You go girl! You're on a roll! :LOL:

Wow, that is what I call a productive shopping day! And hopefully it means you won't have to do it again anytime soon. :)

I can only assume that you bought ALL of this stuff for you ~ although, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were actually buying it for [-]those less fortunate[/-] others this time of year! :angel:

Congrats on your shopping spree success! ~ I KNOW that it doesn't come easily to you! :greetings10: (as well as others of us)

Thanks for sharing!

:flowers:

Way to go, Khan--you have a classic new wardrobe that fits you and won't go out of style, and you are going to look very cute for your visit to your friend. I like the shoe choices, too.

The best legging I have found are at Costco! The Matty M "power knit" legging is full length legging and is not see-thru! Most of the leggings in stores now are thin and you can see thru them easily (down fellas). These are thicker and have a nice stretch. Waste band is thick elastic and goes about to your belly button. I'm about your weight (not sure how tall you are) and bought the medium. If your costco carries them they are worth a try and only about $15.

Back
Top Bottom