Quicken Will Maker Plus

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have Quicken Will Maker Plus 2004 that I'd like to use for my Mom's stuff. Does anyone know if you need to use the latest and greatest version, i.e. Will Maker Plus 2007? :confused:

As I discovered, the sucker wont update or do anything useful if the date is past 12/31. Their reasoning is that the product is only certified for the year its produced, and they dont update products past the end of its calendar year...it might give you a few months grace, I dont recall exactly, but three years later its definitely not gonna be happy...

Now........what you can do....is set your computers clock to sometime in 2004, disconnect the internet connection, install the software, and produce a will without any code or legalese updates to that original product. I'm sure there are all sorts of lawyerly reasons why this is a bad idea, but if its a choice of using this to produce some documents or doing nothing at all, doing something with the '04 product is probably better.

Gee, can you also guess that this is made by the 'quicken' people even if it didnt have their name stuck on it :p

In my case, we were using the '05 product and I had made the documents but then sat on them for six months without printing them. We decommissioned the computer it had been installed on, so I reinstalled it on another. When I did that, it refused to update and the non-updated version refused to open the documents created by the updated version. So I couldnt look at, change, or print documents I had already prepared.

Fortunately I had the original disk from the decommissioned machine...copied all the contents of the executable directory, changed the date to 12/30/05, and it opened/printed like a champ. On contact, the manufacturer told me to buy the '06 version and tough luck.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Now........what you can do...................
.............................printed like a champ.
Or, Cube_Rat, you could get a life*, just spend the $40, and have an up-to-date version (both the software and your life) with the latest obscure** legal changes that you'll discuss with a lawyer when you show them your Willmaker draft.

*When's the last time you put up a fresh high-quality image of something naked or with cleavage, maybe even both? No recycled rhinos or Kathy Bates**, please.

**I know, I know, obscure::legal and rhinos::Bates are all redundant...

I hope we dont get any fat guys with cleavage.

I did a 5 second consideration on the negativities of outdated legalese that ended abruptly when I realized that most people dont have wills or made them up many years ago and never updated them. And I already paid my $40 dammit! ;) Besides, whats the difference if I had printed the thing out a few months before and stuck it in the safe, or printed it then and stuck it in a safe?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Besides, whats the difference if I had printed the thing out a few months before and stuck it in the safe, or printed it then and stuck it in a safe?
I don't think that I'm qualified to tackle that legal issue.

We're gonna have to consult that pioneering, extraordinarily self-qualified DIY legal-expert, & Rand-philosophizing back-of-the-envelope cheap bahstahd rugged individualist: JG.

He's not going to have anything to leave to anyone. If he even has anything to speak of now.

Besides, its not a legal issue, its a temporal one.

Nords said:
I don't think that I'm qualified to tackle that legal issue.

We're gonna have to consult that pioneering, extraordinarily self-qualified DIY legal-expert, & Rand-philosophizing back-of-the-envelope cheap bahstahd rugged individualist: JG.

Um..................I thought Martha was the legal eagle on here.............is she retired, like dory?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Gee, can you also guess that this is made by the 'quicken' people even if it didnt have their name stuck on it :p

In my case, we were using the '05 product and I had made the documents but then sat on them for six months without printing them. We decommissioned the computer it had been installed on, so I reinstalled it on another. When I did that, it refused to update and the non-updated version refused to open the documents created by the updated version. So I couldnt look at, change, or print documents I had already prepared.

Fortunately I had the original disk from the decommissioned machine...copied all the contents of the executable directory, changed the date to 12/30/05, and it opened/printed like a champ. On contact, the manufacturer told me to buy the '06 version and tough luck.

INTUIT?QUICKEN stinks but I have been using them so long I can't get away.

Two different times I almost had a stroke when I had computer issues and had to reload Quicken. When I went to restore the backed up files I got an error message that the files were corrupt. After hours on the phone with differet Quicken folks one finally suggested trying to open them with the latest version. WTF? I frantically rushed to Staples as all my companies finances were in Quicken. It worked. Took me ten minutes to remember the FIX the second time...

Think tey have somehow written some bugs into it to get you to buy a newer version. Probably illegal but how you gonna proe it...

W

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the three year old software unless you have a taxable estate or need to plan because you may have a taxable estate. In that case, I would go to an estate planner and revisit the estate planner every few years.

Note though that you still are taking some risk on using any software and make sure you follow the directions to the letter, especially directions about execution of the will and how to properly leave out relatives if you are going to leave them out. Also, the software may not prompt you to think of all the possible things you may want to do or not want to do.

Disclaimer over.

Thanks everyone!

Here ya go Nords...

Attachments

• suze_welcome_photo.jpg
    suze_welcome_photo.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4
  • suze_welcome_photo.jpg_thumb
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
If you ever do THAT again, its fat naked guys in thongs. Skimpy thongs. Skimpy undersized thongs.

:D

Attachments

• chellie34_482932241.jpg
    chellie34_482932241.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 10
  • chellie34_482932241.jpg_thumb
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • chellie34_482932241.jpg
    chellie34_482932241.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 7
  • chellie34_482932241.jpg_thumb
    25.9 KB · Views: 1
Okay, how's this? Better?

Attachments

• tor2.JPG
    tor2.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 24
  • tor2.JPG_thumb
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
Well, I'm glad I've learned to put down my coffee cup and swallow the last mouthful before clicking on a Cube_Rat post.

cube_rat said:
Ouch!!

"Better" is such a relative term. Why, yes, it is a better picture than Suze Ormon with thong-clad hippos! So, uhm, thanks, I think...

So when the nightmare wakes me up screaming later tonight, how do I explain it all to my spouse?

cube_rat said:

Eh, they're a little small...but they'll do.

And now I have to spend a little while quietly pondering why Nords gets nightmares from large breasted women... :-\

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
And now I have to spend a little while quietly pondering why Nords gets nightmares from large breasted women... :-\
Those are breasts?!!?

Geez, I thought she was auditioning for a role in one of the Alien movies. You know, where not one but two of the little parasites have to find a way out of her body cavity...

:D

Attachments

• belly.jpg
    belly.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 6
  • belly.jpg_thumb
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom