Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2007, 12:00 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
But, but, but....
... you can't depreciate stocks, or live in them either!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
... you can't depreciate stocks, or live in them either!
You also don't have to put a new roof on them or replace the toilet.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Only problem with making this "especially" for me is that I made far more on my properties, paid far less than 6%, and my moving costs for the last 15 years has been roughly $110.

My approximate average annual return, minus all of my actual costs and fees, is roughly 10.4%. Jeez, and I got to live in the places for free while I owned them! No such benefit from my other investments.

Continuing to claim that the steak i'm eating is a bone wont make it a bone. But if *you* buy bones, thats what you'll be eating.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:07 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Raleigh, NC, we seem to be benefiting from everyone else's housing bust. Both of my neighbors sold their houses in under a week at full price. Two houses up the street sold within a few days. My buddy across town just sold his townhouse in 2 days above asking price. Another buddy sold his single family at asking in 1 day through craigslist. Granted, all these sales were under $200,000.

This evidence is all anecdotal, but I think things here are starting to pick up a lot after years (decades) of stagnant inflationary or inflation +2% increases in prices. My theory is that folks are cashing out (or have cashed out) in NY, DC, and Cali and are relocating here cash-rich and ready to buy houses for 1/2 or 1/3 the prices they were used to.

New construction is still going strong and there are many new neighborhoods in the pipeline 3-10 years down the road pushing forward as fast as they can.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post

so it seems that it was not such a good investment after all.
Keith you're comparing apples to oranges! Are you computing you return on a cash purchase? You'd get an interest only loan with no down and rent as a corporate rental to cover carrying costs and put $100,000 in your pocket. (OK $50K if you have to have a REALTOR. Did I tell you the market is HOT?) Blows the doors off the DJIA if you look at it the way a smart investor would. PLUS why do you think you always have to sell a property to harvest money?
Old 06-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Keith you're comparing apples to oranges! Are you computing you return on a cash purchase? You'd get an interest only loan with no down and rent as a corporate rental to cover carrying costs and put $100,000 in your pocket. (OK $50K if you have to have a REALTOR. Did I tell you the market is HOT?) Blows the doors off the DJIA if you look at it the way a smart investor would. PLUS why do you think you always have to sell a property to harvest money?
Listen, when you two are done beating this subject to death could we get back to the important debate of whether we should pay off our mortgages?

Just kidding, guys. To each his own definition of the lazy investor.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Here we go...

Why on earth would we compare real estate with the DJIA? How about a LEAP on a hot stock? (everyone got that this was facetious, right?)

Bob, a word of unsolicited advice: let it go. Great, all of this works for you. But you are unlikely to convence evryone else, so just smile and bank whatever profits you make.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #28
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Here we go...

Why on earth would we compare real estate with the DJIA? How about a LEAP on a hot stock? (everyone got that this was facetious, right?)

Bob, a word of unsolicited advice: let it go. Great, all of this works for you. But you are unlikely to convence evryone else, so just smile and bank whatever profits you make.
Brewer12345

I did not initiate any comparisons to the DJIA. You need to address that to Keith. I'm not sure what the "it" is that you refer but I gladly consider any advice, solicited or not. I merely posted some facts about the real estate market in San Francisco and Honolulu where I have experience. I think that anyone interested in FIRE should at least be aware of Real Property investments in high appreciation areas. Why do you feel the need to censor/belittle/limit that information?

My reply to Keith was not to attack him but to question his comparison and to find out how he made his computations. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I've never given you unsolicited advice when I read some of your stock information that I find questionable. I don't know enough about it to give an educated reply so I choose to censor myself and stay out of the discussion.

Also in almost thirty years of real estate investing, I've never had to put a roof on and the two toilets that have been replaced were to low flow for a cost of less than $200, installed. Did I tell you that my < 300sf studio rents for $1000 monthly. Now if the rent was maybe $150 a month that would not seem so financially savvy.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I could give a hoot about convincing anyone either. But i'll respond to statements that your home is a bad investment.

Anything can be a bad or good investment. Its all up to you.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Brewer12345

I did not initiate any comparisons to the DJIA. You need to address that to Keith. I'm not sure what the "it" is that you refer but I gladly consider any advice, solicited or not. I merely posted some facts about the real estate market in San Francisco and Honolulu where I have experience. I think that anyone interested in FIRE should at least be aware of Real Property investments in high appreciation areas. Why do you feel the need to censor/belittle/limit that information?

My reply to Keith was not to attack him but to question his comparison and to find out how he made his computations. I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I've never given you unsolicited advice when I read some of your stock information that I find questionable. I don't know enough about it to give an educated reply so I choose to censor myself and stay out of the discussion.

Also in almost thirty years of real estate investing, I've never had to put a roof on and the two toilets that have been replaced were to low flow for a cost of less than $200, installed. Did I tell you that my < 300sf studio rents for $1000 monthly. Now if the rent was maybe $150 a month that would not seem so financially savvy.
Whatever you say, ho5uc Bob.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Look out bob, you'll end up on his 'ignore' list...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Colorado leads a national wave of foreclosures that is leaving neighborhoods blighted and forcing many homeowners into financial ruin. In an ongoing series, The Denver Post examines why the state's foreclosure rate leads the nation and how it is affecting Coloradans, their communities and the economy. Aggressive building and lending practices, lax regulation and a high rate of mortgage fraud, among other factors, are pushing thousands of homeowners into foreclosure. "

http://www.denverpost.com/foreclosures