Join Early Retirement Today

Reality TV
Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Reality TV

First, I apologize if it seems odd that i am suddenly more of an active poster than in the past (I dont even have 20 posts yet). However. (!) I read almost e-v-er-y day (loggiing in for 2 years now), with delight, frustration, plotting and planning, trying to get my own FIRE going....(I seem to be missing that dang flint...)

Anyways, this thread is to discuss your favorite or most loathed reality TV shows, in the safety of this thread without fear of SHAME or ridicule, to salve the wounds instilled upon you by your DW or DH via their scowls and reprimands, for calling you a bottom feeder, a Jerry Springer TV whore, and a morally delinquent hazard. (Did I just reveal too much about my own DH, woopsie! )

I shall start:

My favorite show is now the Amazing Race, surpassed recently by Survivor (which I believe has lost the "adventurous" part of their storytelling, and now is predominantly about the vote, and comes across as 45 minutes of cat-fighting.)

And I heretofore confess that i also watch some of the more banal shows, for which i really have no explanation other than "sometimes I need to watch mindless drivel after a day of hard work, much like I need a Hostess Snowball every once in awhile to appease my food soul):

Biggest Loser (from time to time, not a regular)
American Idol (from time to time, not a regular)
Design on a Dime (I had to stop watching the high-end HGTV shows because they made me feel inadequate!)
Intervention
Antiques Roadshow (not really RTV, but still, not scripted)
Fear Factor (back in the day)
Bob Ross (not RTV but needs to go on my list...they guy was a master at "compelling to watch paint dry", literally)

Because this forum leans more toward "reasoned" people, I will speculate that I am not gonna get a lot of action here. That's okay, I am used to rejection, ridicule, and shame Just trying to make myself more familiar here, and talk about non-FIRE stuff because right now the FIRE thing ain't workin' for me...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Administrator

Good to hear from you queeneev. Unfortunately, I am unable to contribute much to this discussion since I almost never watch TV. I do know of the existence of a few "reality" shows, and it seems that they all feature some sort of competition and exclusion/expulsion of the "losers". I wonder what the popularity of that format says about our society. Do we have some atavistic need to drive the weak ones from the herd? I really don't know.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #3

I watch all HGTV and DIY shows, Biggest Loser, and American Idol. Also (but not reality tv) anything on Travel, Discovery, Science channels and lots of sports. I watch too much tv.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Most of what I watch is the local news (95% or so).
Old 01-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #5

I used to watch The Amazing Race a few seasons ago, but other than that, no -- no reality TV here. I've never even *seen* American Idol. Not even once.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I watch the HGTV stuff, including Design on a Dime. I often overload and then have to quit for a few weeks.

I like HGTV, it satisfies my snoopy nature about how others live.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I watch the HGTV stuff, including Design on a Dime. I often overload and then have to quit for a few weeks.
Sometimes I'll watch those shows and their big "dream homes" and lust after them.

Then I think about the house payments, the high cost of heating/cooling that much space and the high property taxes -- and the number of extra years I'd have to work to pay for it all -- and then I fall in love with my modest (and paid for) little house all over again...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like watching the big fancy house shows, I like things like Design on a Dime (cheapy makeover of cheapy house or cookie cutter apartment) or better yet, Mission Organization with people organizing their sloppy houses.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Survivor, Idol DW add The Bachelor.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

HGTV ,especially Design to Sell and Property Virgins . My all time favorite reality show is "So you think you can dance " .
Old 01-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I like Property Virgins too. Expectations are so high! "I must have three bedrooms, two baths, and an attached garage." Heck, I have never had three bedrooms, two baths, and an attached garage.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed Fear Factor, but sometimes I had to watch through splayed fingers. It amazed me what people would do for $50k.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #13

Are Soap Operas reality TV? I know you ladies are addicted watching a lot of that stuff. DW has been watching the 1PM to 4PM ones for 30 years or more. Personally, I don't watch much TV; news and Football (now thats the ultimate reality TV?) especially College Football. Where else can you watch young men (I know that is sexist) excel on the field then go on to the NFL or Prison (or both).
Old 01-18-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Are Soap Operas reality TV?
Lordy i hope not! I did religiously watch General Hospital during college, but none since.

Hmmm, news and football....those qualify! With the exception of the weather forecasts of course
Old 01-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeneev View Post
Lordy i hope not! I did religiously watch General Hospital during college, but none since.

Hmmm, news and football....those qualify! With the exception of the weather forecasts of course
Ahh, you have missed so much, I just asked DW and she said so.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #16

Weather forecast is more akin to Fantasy Island!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #17

Weather guessers?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I got hooked on Idol several seasons ago, but that is pretty much it for me and reality TV.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #19

I love Amazing Race. For me it's not only about the way the teams interact with each other, but I also enjoy taking in the scenery from the locations they visit.

I used to like Survivor, however I don't like they way it is now played. I much preferred it when they gave them very little to eat and they had to be much more devious.

Another HGTV addict here. I tape all those shows and watch them whilst I do my hour on my treadmill every day. Makes the time fly. My latest favourite is the Unsellables, though I do like My House is Worth What? However on HGTV my biggest fav is without doubt House Hunters International.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

NFL

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote