Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
BTW, if your dream is the IM, don't walk away from it if you'll regret it in 5 years.

AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by TallTim View Post
I know one guy who missed for 5 years in a row, by a COMBINED total of 22 minutes over the course of the 5 yrs and 7 IMs before he finally made it at 46 -- then he did Kona and promptly sold all his kit

When to try from a family point of view is also very key. IM+young kids is very challenging. I did it, but would not again for all the stress it caused. So either take your shot b/f kids or wait until they're older. IMHO that's why you see so many people 'back' to IM distance after 50 (empty nest or RE or both frees up time to train).

Finally, in terms of making a Kona run, consider making a 2-3 year plan where you're spending time training to train and racing 70.3 events and perhaps learning how IM distance really feels (IM experience is a huge teacher) with a view to what kind of data/metrics you need to realistically be in Kona range -- and then pick a race and register (year ahead required anyway) .. and you'll have your chance. If you can't really see sub-10 type splits in your minds eye or historical performances, be candid w/ yourself about the time and work required to build that kind of fitness, let alone trying to apply it to an IM race day.
Yeah, I know it's not guaranteed. I learned a lot from my Florida 70.3, where I bonked on the run and came in at 5:05 with my run being more than 30 minutes slower than training. I think sub-10 is definitely in my ballpark, but absolutely not a given nor easy. I've been training with power on the bike for a few years, so I'm familiar with it and I think that would help my pacing as well as training.

We'll see... I can definitely see doing Kona then selling the kit. Or maybe not doing it at all... DW and I talked a little more tonight about this, but the reality is it's a little ways off, so I'm just going to go try to kick butt tomorrow!

"So we beat to our own drummer in the sun;
We ask for nobody's permission to run.
I just wanna live in a world like that;
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm late on commenting, guess I'm slow at everything, but I didn't start any athletics at all until the kids were grown. It started with a little biking, then a little running, a bit of swimming and next thing I knew, I was a triathlete. Not a very good one at all, but being female and over 40, I could occasionally place. After a couple years, I got the IM itch and did Florida and barely made the cutoff. Then I found a way into IM Kona lottery. At that time, they took a M/F from every state and I was lucky enough to live in off to Hawaii, where I dragged my sorry butt across the line in 17:02, so officially a DNF. fast forward 10 years, a few more IM attempts, Florida and Couer d'alene until I finally quit. And promptly gained 25 lbs. Now I'm retired and finally have the time to train, and have one more bucket list triathlon, St Croix 70.3 I see they still will take anyone's money and I have 8 months to train, but now I'm 60. Your dreams shouldn't die. Worse case, I end up with a 10 day beach vacation. I just want one more chance to put it all on the line, which I Never did before due to work, blah, blah, blah.....Yes I know how hard St Croix is, and that's why I want to do it, it scares the @&$t out of me! Let the journey continue!
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
I play volleyball. But as I grow older, the body just doesn't do what the mind knows needs to be done. I can't jump like I used to and when I spike (with everything I've got) the ball just doesn't go that fast anymore. I can set with anyone on the court, but the reaction times are gone. Unlike the OP, I can't do any better, no matter how much I want to train or push myself.

I'm there because I love the game. I'm there because I need the exercise. I'm there becaue the people I play with are my friends. But the time is coming when I will have to quit. I don't want to be like a guy that used to play with us--he was so immobile that unless the ball was hit right to him, he couldn't get it. I don't want to be the guy nobody wants on their team.

I think I will have "other activities" that will provide me the exercise I need, but it just won't be the same. I've been playing volleyball for almost 50 years. It won't be the same.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #25
I was the kid nobody wanted on their team. It really hurt.

Forty-fifty years later, people are always asking me to play sports, but I won't.

Strange. We're like polar opposites.

Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
I I don't want to be the guy nobody wants on their team.

If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #26
I missed this the first time. I don't compete at your level but I see people who have, and I'm still reasonably competitive. A few years ago I pushed hard to qualify for the Boston marathon and made it, by 10 minutes. Then came the decision whether to keep pushing that hard, or let it slide a bit. I decided I didn't like dedicating too much of myself to shave minutes or even seconds. I still run marathons and ultras, and train hard, but not like I did, and I'm still able to qualify, barely.

I also have a friend who was a 2:30 marathon and now, in his 50s, is a mid-pack ultra runner, who will sometimes just run with a friend who is struggling to try to bring him or her into the finish. He enjoys the running, but also enjoys the whole social scene and just being out there.

So the question is, can you cut back on your training and still enjoy it, even if you don't place as high? I know some people will ask "what happened?" but it's your business.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #27
I was generally asked to play ball. I bat righty and one day a kid pitched a hardball right into my left eye, which proceeded to blow up.

My parents were furious. Once I got past it, I kept playing ball!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote