RIP Syd Barrett

Cool Dood

Full time employment: Posting here.
Obit.

I guess you could call Syd a FIRE, although I'm not sure it's the kind of retirement most people have in mind...

Shine on you crazy diamond....

Gawd...how many times did I watch The Wall in HS....a hundred x would be conservative...so much of it based on Syd's life and times. Amazing movie. Now I'm not sure I'd actually get it, but that may be because the um, times, are different. But I can still recall that scene of catatonia, with the cigarette ash...freaky!
Sarah

I think some of the "Pink" character was based on Syd -- like when he shaves off all his body hair. Didn't Pink go insane link Syd? After listening to the album many times and seeing the live performance in NY I wasn't thrillled by the movie.

Roger (syd) Barrett's mental illness is very sad. He was very talented and was the band's founder and leader. He wrote most of the songs on 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn' which is one of their best albums. I don't think Floyd would have made it without him. His illness gave Roger Waters something to write about.

I would give much of the credit for PFs success to one David Gilmour...

Still, I wish they would make nice, and tour with both Roger and Dave...

HFWR said:
I would give much of the credit for PFs success to one David Gilmour...

I would give the Lions share of PFs success to Alan Parsons.

Pink Floyd only had ONE truly great album and that was Dark Side of the Moon. Sure there were a few interesting songs here and there but DSOTM was it.

Alan Parsons took the band where they never could go on their own.

Gotta love Gilmour's guitar tone and vocals. His new DVD has an all acoustic version of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" that is outstanding. None of them have produced great work on their own. Definitely synergy. Meedle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall -- all outstanding. There are some gems in the older works to, like ..Eugene, Astromomy Domine, Intersteller Overdrive, and some of the psychedelic folk songs.

My looonnnnnng awaited Pulse DVD arrives tomorrow from Netflix :)

I am far from an PF expert.

Gilmour was Syd's friend - right?... and he stepped in to fill in when all realized that S had crossed over and was not coming back - thankfully G was very much up to the challenge. The change also allowed the rest of the band to let their creative dog pig out - especially Roger...

Syd - leader/inspiration/creative force who laid the cornerstone/foundation/framework/plumbing/wiring - Piper was wide open creative and rough - the latter albums followed the original blueprint - but far more polished.

I have to admit I'm a fan of later-day PF.

It would have been interesting had SB recovered :confused: Would we be talking about PF DG & SB today if he had...

Has anyone else noticed all the Brit rockers that were art students, etc....wasn't Mick J. in London School of Economics ? Was that the case in the North America?

IntoTheMystic said:
Has anyone else noticed all the Brit rockers that were art students, etc....wasn't Mick J. in London School of Economics ? Was that the case in the North America?

Waters was studying architecture. It's art+math, I guess.

His solo effort "Amused to Death" is a great CD.

Back
Top Bottom