Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #61
gone traveling

October 28, 1991 - November 4, 1991: "The Perfect Storm" (when the Andrea Gail sunk).

October 28, 2011 - November 1, 2011: "The Halloween Nor'easter".

October 29, 2012 (Onshore): "Hurricane Sandy - AKA "Frankenstorm".

Anybody see a trend?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here it comes..landfall for coastal NJ and NY is now predicted for 5 PM.
Gov Andrew Cuomo has deployed additonal National Guard to NYC to get people the dumbasses off the streets, prevent looting, and provide emergency services. He ain't messing around with this storm. Great to have good leadership at the helm.
This mega-crane situation is not helping
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/1994487...e-in-manhattan

I'm approx 60 miles east of Syracuse NY, where the projected post landfall path is centered over. The effect on me will most likely be lost power.

This is what is in store for my area...eeek

The storm is a hybrid forming as Hurricane Sandy merges with a winter storm from the west and an arctic blast from the north. The National Weather Service predicts sustained winds of 30 to 40 mph Monday afternoon through Tuesday, and one to six inches of rain.
(courtesy http://www.myfoxny.com/story/1994431...-outages-in-ny )

All ouside items are relocated inside or securely tied down.
I have my generator topped off and 10 spare gallons of gas in the garage. I have natural gas service, so I will be able to cook.
I always have a variety of "fun" beverages on hand. I will go fill some quart bottles with water just to be on the safe side.
I have a nice cheery fire going in the living room. Mr B and I are watching the storm development news, me directly, him through his eyelids.

Stay safe!

Old 10-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Why don't you really give in to the hype? Dogs and Cats, living together...

As for insurer liquidity, insurers specifically construct their balance sheets with these types of events in mind and the industry as a whole is awash with an excess amount of capital.
+1
Old 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

This is a real shame...what the hell were they thinking setting sail in these kind of conditions ?

Hurricane Sandy sinks replica of historic HMS Bounty off North Carolina - ContraCostaTimes.com
Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
This is a real shame...what the hell were they thinking setting sail in these kind of conditions ?...
I think they were trying to outrun the storm and couldn't quite pull it off. As you say, a shame - particularly the likely loss of life.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #66
Administrator

The wind is really gusting hard right now. It got up under the flat part of my roof and started peeling it back. I put it back in place and then put the heaviest stuff I could find in the house (window air conditioners and some seriously heavy old cast iron shop equipment that I am restoring) on top to hold it down. We'll see how it works, but I'm already out a few thousand bucks, I'm sure.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is a real shame...what the hell were they thinking setting sail in these kind of conditions ?

Hurricane Sandy sinks replica of historic HMS Bounty off North Carolina - ContraCostaTimes.com
Mutiny on board?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
The wind is really gusting hard right now. It got up under the flat part of my roof and started peeling it back. I put it back in place and then put the heaviest stuff I could find in the house (window air conditioners and some seriously heavy old cast iron shop equipment that I am restoring) on top to hold it down. We'll see how it works, but I'm already out a few thousand bucks, I'm sure.
Ouch.

Just some gentle advice.... Maybe it's time to stay inside and let things do what they may. It's very dangerous to be climbing around on the roof during a hurricane, and could be expensive too, the way medical bills have risen in recent years. Nobody wants to see anything bad happen to you.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Oh Gumby,
I am so sorry to hear of your having to deal with this storm! Please know that we here on the West Coast are pulling for you! I hope you keep yourselves safe!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's very dangerous to be climbing around on the roof during a hurricane . . .
That's what the young wife kept yelling at me while I was doing it.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wind is kicking in here too. So scared a tree will fall on our house.

Please be careful about getting out in this storm. Above all else, be safe Gumby.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:04 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

UPDATE: Make that 3,109,000 customers without power in 5 states.

Weather Channel just reported over 1,620,000 customers in several states are without power.
Still OK here, not affected by severe storm conditions...yet.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just think about an airborne twig impaling you...please stay inside.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just like I yell at DH when he does dangerous and stupid brave things to try to save our house and property during disasters. I love him more than any of our stuff. Think your young wife feels the same about you.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Listen to the young wife and take cover.

I'm sending you all truck loads of west coast mojo. Good luck and stay safe everyone.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gov Andrew Cuomo has deployed additonal National Guard to NYC to get people the dumbasses off the streets...
"So Sarge, let me get this straight. They're puttin' all of us on the street so that we can take some of them off the street? I'm not sayin' that's a bad idea, I'm just suggesting that the longer we take to get ourselves on the street, the more that Sandy will solve our problems for us..."

I feel the same way when I see people do that during hurricanes (and tsunamis) on TV. "Hey, dipswitch, hold up a sign with the name of your next of kin so that we know where to send this video!!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gumby..."Don't you go back on that roof!"
Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Well the eye came upon land about 30 miles south of here. The great majority of streets are flooded 1-3 feet or water covered. We are at 13.5' above SL and no water covering streets in front or back, house is stable, electric is on. We have dodged a big storm. My son was watching the Atlantic roll in the waves and saw a 10'+ section of a board walk vertical out of the ocean. That must have been swept from Atlantic City.
The eye arrived at 6:00 and in about 15 mins all was quiet, no rain. Winds kicked back up four hours later, and continue now.
Very lucky here in NJ.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #79

We skated on this one. Never even lost power, not so much as a screen lost off the back porch, although I haven't seen the house in daylight yet. Only had to drive around one fallen tree branch on the way home from work last night.

My sister in DE near Rehoboth Beach reports no damage, power still on in an E-mail at 0415. DW's nephew near Baltimore lost power but no damage that we know of. His father will take a generator over later today. He's recently retired from the power company as a machinist so presumably knows what not to do with it.

Overall, windy and blustery but we've seen a lot worse.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Post Sandy...All safe and sound here in upstate NY. Had high winds but not near as bad as places downstate and in the metro NY/NJ/CT area and down the East Coast. And inland where the blizzards are raging....

No trees down, and we have power.