Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A-OK here in Northern Virginia. Lots of rain and wind but no damage to our home or property. Our lights never even flickered though lots of folks are without power in the DC area.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #82

Seems to have hit north of Northern Virginia the worse. Parents were hoping that the leaves would be blown into the neighbors yard but that appears not to be the case. No issues here but NYC/NJ seems to have gotten the brunt.

Gumby, get off the roof.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

8.9 million without power according to Weather Channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
UPDATE: Make that 3,109,000 customers without power in 5 states.

Weather Channel just reported over 1,620,000 customers in several states are without power.
Still OK here, not affected by severe storm conditions...yet.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #84
Administrator

The roof stayed put after I put all the heavy stuff on top of it, but it will need replaced and/or repaired. I'm waiting for the Home Depot to open so I can buy some cinder blocks and bring my air conditioners and shop equipment back inside. This morning, I spent over an hour picking up branches and sticks out of my yard. I now have a pretty substantial brush pile out back.

One of the neighbors just had a fancy new garden shed built last month. The storm ripped nearly every shingle off of it. Luckily, no trees down on my street, but the news says they're down all over town. And, of course, the houses right down on the beach were wiped out by the waves and the storm surge. Same thing happened last year in Hurricane Irene.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

feel bad for those closer to the coats. We really got lucky over on the north-west side of DC. Despite the eye going directly over us, the storm really just seemed like a bad thunderstorm that lasted a lot longer than usual. Lots of rain, pretty high winds, but almost no damage except for those who have basements (flooding).

Everything is shut down today (because they all made announcements yesterday), but this morning everything looks normal. Wind is maybe 5 MPH and there is a light rain. Maybe we're just in the eye still?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

This is my fear, too. I can't tell by looking at weather.com but I do see that rain and strong wind are predicted through tonight, so it seems like we may be in for another bout.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvrClrx311 View Post
fMaybe we're just in the eye still?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #87
Administrator

So glad to hear from so many members that they are all right, and to hear from Gumby that no trees are down on his street since IIRC he has quite a few.

As other members regain electricity we will probably hear more about their experiences.

Also glad to hear that the NYSE wasn't damaged and may re-open tomorrow.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
. I'm waiting for the Home Depot to open so I can buy some cinder blocks and bring my air conditioners and shop equipment back inside.
Home Depot will be a hopping place today, good luck.
If the roof is a going to need replacing anyway, maybe consider some tarp, corrugated washers, roof sealant, and long screws to drive into the rafters/trusses instead of the cinderblocks? It might stay in place better, be less cumbersome to get up there, and less work to throw away when you get the roof repaired. (But, concrete blocks are certainly the simpler answer. I have a way of making these things complex)

Best of luck, be careful up on the roof. I'm glad your damage wasn't worse and that everyone is okay.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Oh no...Rats..

Was watching the news coverage. One of the concerns is that because of the underground subway system flooded, that the rat population will scatter and go looking in apartments for shelter. Oh boy .
Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #90
Administrator

Home Depot was oddly empty. They were open, but only had enough power to run the cash register. No lights. I got the cinder blocks and some roof tar and reinforcing mesh. Lugging the cinder blocks up to the roof and bringing the air conditioners and such back down really took a toll on my knees, but the roof is back in place and seems secure. I tarred/taped/tarred the one long tear in the impregnated fiber roofing, which I hope will keep the water out for now. I'll need to investigate how it was secured at the edges and why it broke loose to see if I can fix that part, at least temporarily. At the very least, I am not in desperate straits without a roof when everyone and their uncle will be looking for a contractor.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

This advisory is not easy to read, but it is complete. The NWS alerts at the NOAA site are my favorite place to see what's next. It is unfiltered and provides pertinent data.

HPC's Advisories for Tropical Depression SANDY
Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So glad to hear from so many members that they are all right, and to hear from Gumby that no trees are down on his street since IIRC he has quite a few.

As other members regain electricity we will probably hear more about their experiences.
+1
Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We're in NE Ohio. We had a short blackout around 6PM and then the power came right back on. Then around 9:30 we lost power. Our son lives in another neighborhood and he still had power. We were still out by 11pm so I called him and asked if he had some space in his refrigerator, could I bring over some of our cold stuff. I hated to lose it all if we were out for a long time. I packed up 2 insulated bags and we took the stuff over to his place. He was pleased that he could help and we stayed a few minutes to watch the news on tv. Scary stuff in NJ and NY.

DH has a police scanner so he hooked up a battery pack and we listened to it for a while. Interesting stuff and we could hear the utility crews talking about repairing the areas without power so we knew it wouldn't be too long. Our power came back about 3:30am and woke us up because the TV was on and a few lights.

Our experience was a minor inconvenience and a reminder of how dependent we are on electricity, especially the internet!
Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear from all the members that made it safely .I lived in new Jersey much of my adult life and seeing the devastation is heartbreaking .
Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Spoke to soon in my earlier post. We did suffer some minor damage. The roof of our detached garage (AKA DH's "man cave") leaked in one small area. No missing shingles or holes in the roof so DH figures the water blew under the shingles somehow. Not a big mess and it's still under warranty, but still something to deal with. It did get a box of VHS tapes wet - old movies and so forth. Wanted to thow those out when we moved, but DH is a hoarder saver so stored them there.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #96

I am pleased to read all our members are safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg
Glad to hear from all the members that made it safely .I lived in new Jersey much of my adult life and seeing the devastation is heartbreaking .
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am pleased to read all our members are safe.
I hope you are right but maybe there is a bit of survivorship bias here. My best to those in the storm's path.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"So Sarge, let me get this straight. They're puttin' all of us on the street so that we can take some of them off the street? I'm not sayin' that's a bad idea, I'm just suggesting that the longer we take to get ourselves on the street, the more that Sandy will solve our problems for us..."

I feel the same way when I see people do that during hurricanes (and tsunamis) on TV. "Hey, dipswitch, hold up a sign with the name of your next of kin so that we know where to send this video!!"
Nords...please please PLEASE jump all over this...

Inside Breezy Point: An Inferno in a Flood - Yahoo! News

The fire could not be prevented. Emergency w*rkers have to overcome stupidity and be redirected to rescue fools versus doing the j*b they were trained to do...emergency response NOT fighting Darwinian selection.

I have many good friends who do community and fire rescue. I'd like to see them again, versus reading about how they were injured or killed rescuing people who ignored warnings.

Not EVEN the beginning of the end of rant.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

This is worth posting twice...

I've been monitoring the Weather Channel and netw*rk news for 3 days.

I proudly salute the emergency personnel of the National Guard, FEMA, state, county, and township officials and staff, all levels of law enforcement, DoD service members who are domestically deployed 24/7, the Red Cross, the Salvation Army, the local community groups, and the ordinary citizens of the stricken areas who are pulling together to try to restore the most basic services.

Who did I forget?

The next time I see someone complain about public w*rkers...

We are home and safe..they are not. Any questions ?
Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #100

Most of Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk Counties) is without power. I lost power late Monday night but my ladyfriend's place a few blocks away has power so I am (t)here since Tuesday morning. Her cable TV is out but her landline phone (and mine, whoopee) is working. Her cell phone was out but is now back up. Lots of trees down behind my building which is probably how I lost power. I saw a big flash just before the power went out.

I took some food from my fridge and freezer here. The frozen stuff is in good shape, some of it I will cook today. Opening the feezer probably won't help the still-frozen stuff I left in there (I'll return there tomorrow). My ladyfriend is at work which has power but the phones are not working well. Minor chaos there, she told me. My car is fine but I don't want to venture out there because so many traffic lights are out.

Internet is fine, and I brought my PC to her place because hers is mediocre.

As long as my monthly dividends arrive on schedule I will be quite happy.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote