Saying of the Day.......

Last quote of many:

"Hold my beer and watch this!"

Those who think by inches
But talk by yards
Should be kicked by feet

A drinking buddy of mine came up with:

"You can lead a fish to swim but you can't drink a horse." Guess you had to be there.

My dad's favorite: "The more you stir a pile, the worse it smells." Or my mom's version: "Least said, quickest mended." Votes??

This too shall pass.

Keeps you humble when times are good and gives you hope when times are bad.

Ancient Chinese: Behold the turtle, he make no progress unless he sticks his neck out.

Measure with a micrometer, mark with a piece of chalk, cut with an axe.

Ancient Chinese: Behold the turtle, he make no progress unless he sticks his neck out.
This reminds me of a story (with a moral)

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold, the bird froze and fell to the ground in a large field. While it was lying there, a cow came by and dropped some dung on it. As the frozen bird lay in the pile of cow dung, it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay there all warm and happy, and soon felt so good he stuck his head out of the dungpile and began to sing for joy.

A hawk flying nearby heard the bird singing, flew by to investigate, saw the head sticking out of the manure, dived down, grabbed it, pulled it out of the dung pile, then flew off and ate it for lunch.

The moral of this story:

- Not everyone who poops on you is your enemy.
- Not everyone who rescues you from the dung heap is your friend.
- When you're over your head and deep in manure, just lean back and relax - it is at least warm and life could be much worse.

Resentments are letting other people live in your head rent-free!

If something cannot endure laughter, it cannot endure.

Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Oops, one other one came to mind. Back when I was a young buck a date once told me:

"Flattery will get you everywhere."

She was correct. :dance:

From my German grandmother:

"Too soon oldt, too late schmart"..........:)

After everything has been said and done . . . there will be nothing left to say or do.

Walt34 said:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Thanks. Now I don't have to change the oil today. ;)

braumeister said:
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a piece of chalk, cut with an axe.

What does this mean? Use appropriate tools?? Even in literal terms, I can't think of a situation in which this would be good advice, even if you wanted firewood that fit your stove precisely.

Looking forward to the answer.

What does this mean? Use appropriate tools?? Even in literal terms, I can't think of a situation in which this would be good advice, even if you wanted firewood that fit your stove precisely.

Perhaps it's akin to calculating a SWR to four decimal places...

FireCalc. aka Dory.

I always liked: Close enough - as in horsehoes and handgrenades.

heh heh heh - I think Wm Bernstein's series on retirement calculators from Hell said over 80% success rate(aka chance of successful retirement) was close enough.

:dance:

Last edited:
When I was younger and we played the boys from Hawthorne street in Gile's cow pasture a fresh cow pie was as good as a pulling guard.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Back
Top Bottom