Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Ah, so you aren't mad that these two specifically were bailed out, you are mad because their bank happened to be one of the many banks that accepted bail out money in general?!?
Why the whole horse and pony show about the family across the street, that seems to be irrelevant to the tax payer part. Every bank has some people like that.

No actuallly, I am completely disgusted with the whole bailout situation. However, these two conciously chose to scam the system, and by default their employer- me/you/us. That makes it worse- much worse. I only used this example because I had a firsthand frame of reference. I would feel the same about your neighbors if they were on the federal payroll and running up our bank bailout tab.

So, just because every bank "has some people like that" you can excuse their irresponsible actions, and continue to reward them with your tax dollars? I can't, because I see a very short line between cause and effect.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Been checking craigslist for kitchen cabinets (for a rental) ... not often, but every once in a while I'll call into a foreclosure where the "owner" is stripping the joint for anything he can get. Very a-matter-of-fact ... they put'em in and they feel entitled to taking them out. Sad, really.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you know for a fact that these are air traffic controllers who moved to a new location and your are outraged that they stripped their house and dumped it on us, why don't your report them to their inspector general? If those actions were illegal (are they) that could be grounds for dismissal. Also, if they require security clearances, they could potentially lose them.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If you know for a fact that these are air traffic controllers who moved to a new location and your are outraged that they stripped their house and dumped it on us, why don't your report them to their inspector general? If those actions were illegal (are they) that could be grounds for dismissal. Also, if they require security clearances, they could potentially lose them.
Interestingly, just yesterday I read a story in a military newspaper written by the IG, complaining that they have become the default recipient of complaints about personal financial issues, marital problems etc. Their point is that they take these complaints, but forward them to the unit commanders, since it's in their area of responsibility rather than the IG. Not sure how the air traffic business works, but I suspect it's the same. So yes, a complaint could probably be lodged with the IG, with the hope that it would be referred to the proper management level. However, I assume FAA management lacks the punishment leadership tools that the military has to make members shape up.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #25

Quote:
So, just because every bank "has some people like that" you can excuse their irresponsible actions, and continue to reward them with your tax dollars? I can't, because I see a very short line between cause and effect.
No, I can't excuse their behavior. As a matter of fact I would be ranting along with you about those two.
What I wouldn't be doing is blaming the feds for their behavior, which is what you seem to be doing.
I think if their behavior isn't criminal, it should be.
I don't believe these two are benifiting directly from the bail-out. If they are, that is wrong.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #26

Maybe they didn't take the appliances? Abandoned houses tend to attract thieves looking for copper and HVAC equipment.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As a former Federal employee, I can understand why Westernskies took exception to this. Federal employees are public servants and their behavior reflects poorly on honest, hard working feds (yes, there are some out there!) As a Federal employee, I was subject to a background investigation, credit check and drug testing. The point is, Federal employees are expected to play by the rules and this is made clear when you accept the job. There is a higher standard for public servants as there should be. I've been more than a little dismayed by the number of Feds who fail to pay their taxes. Not only some of the recent nominees for Cabinet positions, but stories I have read about the extent of this problem.

To work as a public servant and not pay your proper taxes is almost worst than what these folks did.