Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it's a mandatory buy back, then it's big trouble. If it's voluntary, the car has a chance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 04:46 PM   #102

Did a quick search. At the moment it looks like voluntary. "...buy back many Volts sold so far....."

GM Plans to Accommodate Concerned Chevy Volt Owners, Not Launching Official Buyback Program - Rumor Central

According to GM they sold 6468 cars since 2010, They did not say how many of those were then re-sold to RETAIL customers.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Read an article a day or so ago, GM is buying back the Chevy volt. Seems they have some self immolating feature. Prior to that they were offering a gasoline powered car as loaner while attempting to fix the source of fire some testing discovered.

My guess: the the Volt is now toast.
Eh, a grand total of 30 out of ~6000 have taken the loaner car option. The press is bad but Volt owners have an extremely high satisfaction rate. It may be bad enough to discourage 2nd gen buyers of course but this "recall" is many times less worrying than, for example, the Toyota brake problems.

Chevy Volt tops owner satisfaction survey - Dec. 1, 2011
Old 12-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #104

Yup sounds real good. The article also has said:

But the magazine warned that, at the time the survey was done, the Volt was on sale in only a few states and had been purchased by just a few thousand people. The car first hit showrooms in December, 2010.
"[I]t remains to be seen if the score will hold up as the car rolls out to a wider audience and owners spend more time with their vehicles," Consumer Reports said in its announcement.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #105

Reading some of the article:

And there's another caveat to the ranking: The survey was conducted before the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced it's opened an investigation into possible post-crash fires in the Volt's lithium-ion battery packs. The investigation was prompted by a fire in a Chevrolet Volt that ignited weeks after a crash test.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Reading some of the article:

And there's another caveat to the ranking: The survey was conducted before the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced it's opened an investigation into possible post-crash fires in the Volt's lithium-ion battery packs. The investigation was prompted by a fire in a Chevrolet Volt that ignited weeks after a crash test.
True but, again, you're talking about early adopters. They're going to be less critical of any problems. There's no doubt that the 2nd gen customers will be wary of buying a potential fire hazard.

Chevy Volt: Worried about fire? Sell it back. - CSMonitor.com

Quote:

"It's an offer you can make when you don't expect many people to take you up on it," O'Dell said. "Most of these cars have been sold to the early-adopter customers.

"They are the least likely people to complain about the car because they want this kind of technology; they've been waiting for it."
Old 12-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #107
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think this is a strange bit of PR on GM's part.

On the plus side, they are being pro-active and reaching out to customers to gain good will. That part is probably smart.

On the really negative side - the way I heard this reported, it makes it sound as if GM is admitting there might be a potential (no pun intended) problem with all the Volts. But the fires only happened in cars after they were crash tested.

I think GM should have said they will do a full replacement of the battery pack if you get in a serious accident, for the life of the car, or until they discover/fix any underlying problems.

I checked the inventory I've been tracking, and only a couple of the 16 or so stock #'s I've tracked have moved in over a month. At least the Tesla is competitive with the ICE cars in its price range - $30K is a lot to spend for the Volt compared to its ICE counterparts. There are only so many greenies that just gotta have one that can spend that much cash.

-ERD50
Old 12-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #108

As an EV driver, I am far less concerned of a battery fire in an accident (or 1-3 weeks after an accident) than I am a gasoline fire at the time of an accident.
That being said, since the Volt has both, it is no safer than any other gas burner in an accident due to being partially electric.
The offer to buy back cars if an owner is fearful of the battery fires is to be applauded.
If shoddy design or construction turns out to be the issue, then I will be at the head of the line demanding an answer, and possibly my money back.
But I won't let centationalized media stories spoon feed me 'facts' I base decisions on.

Anyone read the story about the Oct 30th garage fire which contained a volt? The follow up is that the inspectors have now stated that the fire did not originate from the Volt, not the Volt's charger.
Chevy Volt charging not likely a cause of NC garage fire

Official report will probably be out in January, I look forward to it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

If most cars were electric and someone proposed a car carrying 20 gallons of highly explosive liquid, the press would be all over this as an insane idea.

I say no big deal - similar to unjustified worry over early hybrid battery dangers when involved in accidents.

Yawn.

Now what are the Kardashians up to, that's what I wanna know.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #110

Treat yourself. I'll bring the mashmellows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images[9].jpg (11.1 KB, 102 views)
Old 12-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If most cars were electric and someone proposed a car carrying 20 gallons of highly explosive liquid, the press would be all over this as an insane idea.

I say no big deal - similar to unjustified worry over early hybrid battery dangers when involved in accidents.

Yawn. ...
I only partially agree. We have learned how to deal with 20 gallons of gas over the years. This is new technology, and there are often new things to worry about.

An ICE car is unlikely to go up in flames weeks after a crash. If there was a gas leak, you would likely see and/or smell it.

These batteries have thousands of connections and heating and cooling systems in them. There may be more ways for things to go wrong, and they may be less obvious. I don't think this should be blown out of proportion, but I do think it deserves some serious concern.

It won't be the death of the EV. That will happen regardless, since they only shift pollution elsewhere, and cost and range are unlikely to keep up with alternatives.

-ERD50
Old 12-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #112

In 2005 there were 266,000 car fires. Or, about 1 in 1000 cars.
There have been accidents involving EVs, but no EV fires that I have heard of (although if Free To Canoe's image has a story linked to it...), other than during safety tests.
As for pollution, on the west coast, there is much less pollution from the grid, than the oil. And the grid is, overall, getting cleaner and cleaner, while gasoline sources are getting dirtier. I suspect EVs will be here for good this time.
Not. Everyone will be driving them, but many will.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Treat yourself. I'll bring the mashmellows.
This was an attempt at humor. I couldn't find a really good pic of a Pinto with an exploding gas tank so this one would have to do.
Do you really think electric cars are dangerous? I don't.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
This was an attempt at humor. I couldn't find a really good pic of a Pinto with an exploding gas tank so this one would have to do.
Do you really think electric cars are dangerous? I don't.

When I was working in a car dealership one of the things the shop had to have was a certain length wooden pole available when working on these cars. This is to remove someone who is working on the vehicle without electrocuting the other person. I think this is a hint that they could be dangerous, no?
Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
When I was working in a car dealership one of the things the shop had to have was a certain length wooden pole available when working on these cars. This is to remove someone who is working on the vehicle without electrocuting the other person. I think this is a hint that they could be dangerous, no?
You may be surprised to find that (gasp), you have 220 volts right in your own home.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You may be surprised to find that (gasp), you have 220 volts right in your own home.
No doubt, but no one ever instructed me to have a wooden pole at all of the outlets.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #117

Quote:
I heard they were giving out loaners till the problem is resolved. If GM is now buying them back, well, say goodbye!
Too bad they couldn't give out the old EV-1s they forcibly took back as loaners...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No doubt, but no one ever instructed me to have a wooden pole at all of the outlets.
OK, I'm instructing you now.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Get a Tesla two seater electric sports car.

About Tesla | Tesla Motors
Old 12-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454

Obviously not Navy-trained. You probably don't even have a CPR trained person wearing high voltage rated gloves standing by while plugging in the Christmas lights (in a roped off area, of course).