Single Best Thing You Have Learned Here

Role models for my personality type and experience mix do exist, and have helpful insights to offer. I felt like I have almost none in my life, and it weighs heavy sometimes.

On this forum there are several. Especially on the emotional side.

I have learned that many are FI and RE at an early age, which is a group I was looking for. And that many more aspire to this status.

I learned a lot of very good jokes.

Ironically, I found this forum,accidentally, while searching for jokes :LOL:

I had already decided I wanted to RE, but reading this forum, and testing with FIRECALC, really set the wheels in motion to PLAN for FIRE, not just "work toward it".

Lots of things but mostly just understanding other people's approach to saving and spending. Helps me to keep perspective. Realizing that my risk tolerance is very high and how very fortunate I am.

Mine has nothing to do with money. Due to the diversity shown on the board, I think I've just become more understanding and compassionate about other people in general. In fact I've realized most people deep down are basically decent caring humans. This is the internet where we don't know each other and come from all different places and backgrounds. Yet we all have things in common. Most people you see in your everyday life try to hide their fears and insecurities from others.Reading here has made me more aware of how alike we all really are.

One minute, two posters will be having a huge Pi$%ing contests about the smallest detail and the next be posting caring compassionate comments to someone who has a big loss and/or is hurting or suffering. Long story short, to me this board and the way it runs shows me the good in people, sometimes Mom and Dad have to step in to stop the bickering, but that's pretty minor.

I have learned how the following people think:
- LBYMers
- early retirees
- successful retirees
- Americans

Being a Canadian (and spending 6 months in Mexico) my exposure was mostly to friends and neighbours. This community is extremely respectful and keeps me coming back every day in search of new nuggets. Also that LBYM is not cheap, just practical.

I am also gaining an appreciation of where it is appropriate to splurge on special items.

I learned that OMY is a common struggle with many people and that it is possible to overcome it by focusing on the priceless commodity called "time". So many folks on this forum testify to freedom of ER and how rich their lives are on a modest income just because they're no longer enslaved by wo*k obligations.

OP here. Ironically, I suggested one to make it easier, or so I thought. Feel free to expand.

Well, in that case--I would never have known who the Four Yorkshiremen are had I not found this forum.... (as we never watched Monty Python on TV. "Oh, you had a TV?...")

I couldn't pick just one, there have been too many pearls here.

Same here. There's a lot tied for First Place

I would add though that when I was younger I never would have guessed that so many people who have high level educations, easy jobs (at least physically) and who made ridiculous amounts of money would think work sucks and want to quit so bad

I've learned, that as a fellow INTJ, you can analyze, plan, calculate, plan and worry some more. but you're better off just doing it! No more OMY to get a 100% success rate with a larger buffer, which doesn't exist since the future is not set.
I've learned that an INTJ's job title does not designate WHO or WHAT they are.

I've learned plenty about the money side of things. SS strategies, SWR, health insurance, ideas for travel, too many to name.

Who knew that there are that many LBYM people, as all you hear and see is conspicuous consumption. Who knew that I was part of the millionaire next door group, that living on 54% of your salary after taxes was not the norm, that I really don't need 85% salary replacement to retire if you are currently living on much less that that!

This forum is full of thoughtful people, glad I found it.

From the depths of the great recession I found this forum in March 2009. The advice provided by the members was both priceless and free! FI soon followed and ER attained on schedule!!!
When John Bogle waffled and said that (paraphrased) "when you can't afford to lose anymore you need to sell "- the members of this forum hung tough and by and large stayed the course.

One other thing I learned....don't share your RE plans and goals with just anyone. About 6 years ago, I laid out my plan with DW and she liked it so much she RE and told me she looked forward to the day we would have enough assets for me to join her in retirement.

Good one! You just don't know who you can trust with this kind of stuff!

One of my favorite learnings is that a 1% fee initially can sound small, but it probably represents on average 15-20% of your annual return.

Mine has nothing to do with money. Due to the diversity shown on the board, I think I've just become more understanding and compassionate about other people in general. In fact I've realized most people deep down are basically decent caring humans. This is the internet where we don't know each other and come from all different places and backgrounds. Yet we all have things in common. Most people you see in your everyday life try to hide their fears and insecurities from others.Reading here has made me more aware of how alike we all really are.

One minute, two posters will be having a huge Pi$%ing contests about the smallest detail and the next be posting caring compassionate comments to someone who has a big loss and/or is hurting or suffering. Long story short, to me this board and the way it runs shows me the good in people, sometimes Mom and Dad have to step in to stop the bickering, but that's pretty minor.

Well said.

Realized that a pension is worth a tremendous amount. A monthly check rolling in year after year after year - especially with a COLA - means one doesn't need to worry about nest egg size. It just takes that little leap of faith or reliance on the nation or state or company providing the pension.

There's no single right answer, and many paths to reach a goal.

Hard to point to a single best thing, as I have learned so much from the great posters here before ER and after! Mostly I gained Confidence in what seemed like our "crazy" ER plan once I found this forum during our dreaming/saving stage. Learned so much from the other LBYMers here like: SWR, FIREcalc, establishing residence in no tax/full ACA implementation state before embarking on some years of perpetual travel, Roth conversions post ER (just did our first in December), managing income to lower taxes, learning so much about staying the course from the FIRE vets that made it through the recession, and gaining so much comfort from Imoldernu's post about his long and happy retirement with his nest egg intact, and finally just this week reading a thread on estimated taxes and realizing that we needed to pay estimated taxes this quarter (first time ever for us, as we were wage slaves) to avoid an underpayment penalty, due to our planned Roth conversions this coming December. Just made the April payment & set up quarterly payments for rest of year with calendar reminders in Quicken. Whew, just in time!

Sounds like the single most important thing I learned from this forum is to check the forum at least weekly to keep up with things! Thank you sincerely to all of the active posters and for all of the mods that keep this forum so fabulous.

I learned I wasn't alone in feeling conflicted (OMY syndrome) over walking away from a big salary but into a big life. I took the plunge and am grateful.

Back
Top Bottom