Smart TV Revisited

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In 2011 I thought the iPad was clever, but not enough to buy one. Then I was given one as a gift. It quickly came to replace my desktop PC, I use it daily and wouldn't be without one now (just bought a newer one). I use it mostly for email, forums, surfing and videos a lot.

Until recently we didn't have any streaming service like Roku or Apple TV, mostly because we're too cheap to subscribe to paid streaming.

We bought a new TV and it came with Samsung's version of "Smart TV." Nowhere near as capable as Apple TV, Roku etc. - but I have found it very easy to use. Seeing HD videos on a 55" UHD TV thru YouTube or any other site with the web browser has been wonderful. Ironically Smart TV has already replaced my iPad for most videos at least, but not email or surfing.

I know I am way late to the Smart TV party compared to many here, but once I again I am dragged into the future against my will, and wonder what I was waiting for? Too soon old, too late smart. :LOL:

Last edited:
Seeing HD videos on a 55" UHD TV thru YouTube or any other site with the web browser has been wonderful. Ironically Smart TV has already replaced my iPad for most videos at least, but not email or surfing.

So you haven't viewed ERF in high def, even with all the embedded videos:D

Maybe the mods need to work on adding more HD content.

Anyway, glad to hear you are enjoying your new TV.

We use our Samsungs for buying first run movies. I find most youtubes do not have enough content for the big screen. It is good if more than one person wants to watch though. We have tried it for showing slide shows using Allshare. And for playing music.

One of the big advantages is that they download the latest HD software so our 3yo is current with the ones being sold now.

We just bought a new LG 55" 120hz refresh rate, 1080p, NOT SMART TV for about $300 less than their smart version. We have two Roku's and Amazon Prime so I see no need for the Smart part. We have Crapcast for cable and internet (no other reasonable choice).

We have a bluray player attached to our big but not smart led tv. We did a Netflix trial and kept it, we like its offerings so much, so we watch that and Amazon Prime through the bluray, as well as DVDs.

Nice post, Midpack. Yeah, I much prefer to watch YouTube on the big screen (I use both Roku 3 and a Smart TV for that). I am permanently logged into the YouTube application on these devices. When I see a YouTube on my laptop or tablet that I want to watch, I just click Watch Later in the video, and then it is queued on my Watch Later queue which is easy to access from the big screen YouTube application.

Nice post, Midpack. Yeah, I much prefer to watch YouTube on the big screen (I use both Roku 3 and a Smart TV for that). I am permanently logged into the YouTube application on these devices. When I see a YouTube on my laptop or tablet that I want to watch, I just click Watch Later in the video, and then it is queued on my Watch Later queue which is easy to access from the big screen YouTube application.
Hadn't thought of that, great tip, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom