"So... what kind of peanut butter does a groundhog like?"

I didn't read the entire thread, but what worked for me this year, was spreading about two quarts of powdered chlorine (swimming pool) at the entrance and as far as possible inside the entrance. Apparently ground hogs hate the smell and will relocate.
Your neighbors may not appreciate their new friend however..

OK I saw you caught the varmit... However where there's one baby there are sure to be more and spreading the chlorine may prevent another one from returning to his brothers home.

They will excavate again it seems to me.

Last edited:
We have a huge one under our deck. two years ago we set a trap near the hole and caught a woodchuck which we thought was him, though he looked kind of small, and my husband relocated it.

Never saw another woodchuck that year.

Then the following year we saw the bigger one and tried to trap it but were not successful and didn't see it again. Mind you- we were both working all day.

Well- this year lo and behold- we saw the bigger woodchuck and he is still living under our deck.

The guy we borrowed the trap from in the past is on vacation for 2 weeks, so we have to wait.

One problem we had with trying to trap the woodchuck is we were always trapping chipmunks instead. It was so annoying to have a chipmunk caught in there every day- the trap was almost useless because of this.

I consider it humane if you first knock it out. Cover the trap with a tarp, spray some starter fluid under the cover. This stuff is nearly pure ether, so they go to sleep and don't wake up when they hit the water.

But yes, relocating it to somewhere else is a definite legal no no. And where I come from that's known as a "dump job" dumping your problem on someone else.

So, just to be clear, we haven't wandered off topic, have we? I'm having flashbacks of Matlock after some of these comments. :D

I am just astonished that West Virginia has such stringent protection for groundhogs. I didn't think they were endangered at all. Nonetheless, my experience with friends who have the little critters says they are hard to eliminate. Best of luck.

I posted earlier in the thread that I've trapped 5 groundhogs in my neighborhood already this year. I thought maybe that was it, but my neighbor just called me, and said he spotted another big one run through his yard just now, so we need to set the trap again. He leaves for work when it is still dark out, so I go over there when it's daylight and set it for him. He then checks it when he gets home from work. If we catch one, I haul it away, since I have a pickup truck and he doesn't.

We have this arrangement because we both have big vegetable gardens, and his house is not far from mine, so neither of us want them around. They tunnel underneath his garage also, which makes him very unhappy.

Anyway, if we catch this guy, it will be a new record for one year. I think this is the second time we've caught 5 in one year, but never 6!!:(
And yes, I am hauling them many miles away (to State Forest land.....no houses nearby), so there is no chance that the same ones are returning.

The next time you are cooking some meth, just pour some of the anhydrous ammonia down the tunnel. Very effective.

I'll see my way out now...

Groundhogs

Live trap and cat food.

But once trapped, have a plan for dealing with them. I had a boss who would drop the trap in a creek behind his house and drown them. I never much liked that idea.

We can shoot them here and I do. One option is to take the trap to a metropark or to a farmer who will dispatch them.

I hate yard beavers and see no real need for them.

Yep. One of the "solutions" to a groundhog hole was to stick a water hose in there and let the water run, flooding the critter out. In our case a more likely result is a flooded basement. So I'll pass on that one.
+1

So far it seems that there was only the one groundhog who had not yet started a family. After the ahem, "departure" of the groundhog we immediately filled in the burrow holes with fill dirt and so far that has remained undisturbed.

So far it seems that there was only the one groundhog who had not yet started a family. After the ahem, "departure" of the groundhog we immediately filled in the burrow holes with fill dirt and so far that has remained undisturbed.

Don't forget to put up little "Posted -- No Trespassing" signs, written in groundhogese.

Back
Top Bottom