So Who Folded and bought an IPad?

I bought the iPad 2 in March. I already had an iMac (my main computer) and a MacBook (for traveling) as well as an iPhone 3GS. I was initially a little skeptical about how much I would really use the iPad, but over the last 2-3 months my usage has gradually increased to where I use it quite a bit every day. Fantastic for reading a magazine. For example, my paper copy of the Economist frequently doesn't get in the mailbox on Saturday as it should, but I can download it Thursday evening and read it on the iPad, and I actually like that better than the paper version.

Also great for games (I play a lot of Scrabble), email, weather reports, news, etc.

I'll be going out of town for a few days next week, and I plan to take the iPad instead of the MacBook, so that tells you how much I like it. There isn't much the iPad can't do that the MacBook can. I'd probably go the other way if I were going to travel for more than a week, but for short trips this is the best.

DW and I have not owned an Apple product for ourselves since our 512K Fat Mac. Currently both our kids have MacBooks and PC laptops; DW has a notebook, an itouch, a retired laptop (too many attacks/malware); and I have a desktop. I am contemplating getting DW a new IPad for her birthday provided I have some dollars left over after getting a new roof:facepalm:. Most everyone that I have talked to that owns one, simply loves it.

Too damn old. Too damn cheap.

Heck, I just noticed my cellphone (which I've had for over 5 years) only has 11 hours total use during that time. DW's (same brand phone, same length of use, is even less).

For somebody like me? I'll let others spend the $$$ and wait five years or so. Whatever survives (Beta vs. VHS, for instance) will be the "product of choice" for me in the future, at a much less price :cool: ...

I love love love the iPad 2. Boss bought it for me, along with an iPhone last month. Ridiculously awesome. The display is stunning, the ease of typing gets better with practice, and I even bought one of these (on sale) so I could carry it on trips less obtrusively!

DW and I each have an iPad1. I got it because I loved the Touch and the iPhone and wanted more. We started the process of becoming a Mac family at the same time, with a MacBookPro for me. DW will inherit that soon as I will be buying a MacBookAir which I will use when I need something more robust than the iPad on business trips. I'm on an overseas trip now, 7 day trip, and did not bring the PC from work...I hate it, and I rarely need it.

In any case, I love the iPad and I am very glad I got it, even though I still have and still use the Touch as well as the iPhone.

I got the 32gb wifi &3g for me due to heavy travel and need for Internet and email even when there is no wifi. DW has 16gb, wifi only, and there is no way she'll ever fill it up. She has used maybe 1gb in the past 14 months. We share mine when we travel together to a no wifi zone.

I type just as fast if not faster on the iPad.

I use it for email, books, magazines, Internet browsing, a wide variety of apps incl ER.org and a couple other forums. My briefcase is lighter now as I usually only take the iPad and no laptop, no books, no magazines, and fewer files (more PDFs on the iPad).

I can usually fly intercontinental on a charge even if there is no inflight power supply.

I can do spreadsheets but not as easily as with a PC or mac with a mouse.

I would love an ipad2 for the speed and the cameras (and facetime) but can't justify the additional cost after only 1year and a little. Maybe next year when the ipad3 comes out. Maybe not. Depends on how much tech advancement it represents and how much more usability and utility it would provide...value for money.

Was it a game-changer for me? Absolutely!

R

ended up buying one for the GF as she is huge Iphone fan. Currently we have desktop and netbook (me) and a laptop (her).

Why did you buy it? (or any other brand for that matter). GF wanted one...enough said!

Which one did you buy (gig size and wireless or 3G) Bought ipad 2 16g w/wifi. Didn't really need the 3G as when we travel usually stay where they have wifi. Don't store movies or video so higher gigs were not necessary.

Do you use it often? Daily

What do you use it for mostly? Surfing internet, she uses for email. I can't handle the "no keyboard" part.

Do you have a net book or other laptops? One of each.

What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it? Like...comes on immediately, no boot time. Fast, easy to use, nice screen, battery lasts long time. Dislike....no usb, doesn't embrace all types of video.

Any regrets in buying it? No, we both really like it for what we use it for.

I lusted mightily after the iPad since it came out. But $500-700 for a toy? No thanks.

Hoped they would go for cheap when the iPad2 came out. Not as cheap as I hoped, and it was darn hard to find one that hadn't gotten snapped up as soon as it hit Craigslist, but a few weeks ago I finally scored a 16GB wifi ipad1 for $300, including a $50 leather case. (I had just about given up and was going to order an Android pad when this one showed up.)

The leather case is very solid and protects the ipad well, and provides a prop-up reading position, but it practically doubles the weight. So it doesn't feel like a small / light device to me.

I work on a computer all day (laptop but usually at my desk with a full-size keyboard and external monitor). It's in my basement office so I have easy access to it. I prefer the laptop for most things, certainly for anything involving typing. I'm a fast touch-typist but that doesn't work on a touch screen. I revert to two-finger pecking on the ipad.

I had thought I'd use the ipad for much of the online reading I do, so I could read in the living room with the family instead of hiding in my cave. Well family situations have changed and I'd be the only one sitting in the living room, so that didn't work out quite as planned.

I let my newspaper expire, and I applied the subscription costs to buying the ipad. Now I read the ipad at the breakfast table instead of the paper. I can read the news on my old newspaper's ipad app (for free, don't know how/why they do that), and I even knocked together a little web page to show me all the day's comics. :)

At this point it's definitely a toy. I don't know if I'll keep using it or not. If I don't, I'll probably be able to sell it for what I paid for it.

DH and I both have iPads and iPhones.

Why did you buy it? I wanted it for reading ebooks, DH just likes toys

Do you use it often? Multiple times each day. I have an app called GroceryIQ that keeps a list of what I need from various stores and I also have all of my recipes on it, so I use it many times throughout the day.

What do you use it for mostly? Reading ebooks, reading recipes for cooking, shopping lists, email, games (I play a lot of bridge and can practice on the ipad). Also use it for GPS and getting around traffic jams when on the road. Keeping up with the lastest news on cnn.com...and the list could go on and on.

Do you have a net book or other laptops? Yes, there are 3 other laptops in the house

What do you like about it, and what do you not like about it? Like everything about it, nothing I don't like

Any regrets in buying it? Nope

I'd like to go to the new iPad and a PC desk top this year--DH has Macbook he uses with a desktop monitor and keyboard, and an iPhone. I have a netbook and a 5 year old laptop now--I like them both okay but I really like the iPhone's touch screen and apps so I know I'd like the iPad over the netbook, and the laptop is running Windows XP and not much RAM (384MB--is that possible?).

I would definitely use the iPad as a toy (and the desktop for real stuff), but playing with toys is still important no matter how old one gets :) .

Proud to say I bought an IPad2 and returned it. I have an IPhone and it is pretty great. The problem with the IPad is that it is just really an oversized IPhone. The limitations of the IPhone (and the Apple limitations on third party programs and software) that you don't mind on a tiny device are blown up and become overwhelmingly irritating on the IPad.

The guy at the Apple store was flabbergasted when I returned it. "People are falling all over themselves to get one of these" he said.

I know I said, and summoning up my best Seinfeld "but I didn't care for the salesman who sold it to me"

At least he laughed.... they're not all drones.

games (I play a lot of bridge and can practice on the ipad).

Do you use an app for that? If so, which one?

Back in the day (i.e. before kids) we used to go to bridge tournaments all the time but got out of once we had kids and had limited time. Now, it would be nice to get back into it.

I'm looking for an iPad app that has good Spanish pronunciations/translations of English words that doesn't have to be online to use and uses native speakers for the audio. Any ideas?

Something in size between my touch and the iPad might make me pull the trigger.

I'm looking for an iPad app that has good Spanish pronunciations/translations of English words that doesn't have to be online to use and uses native speakers for the audio. Any ideas?
I have a dictionary called Spanish Free, but it doesn't have voice files. I have a clever program called SpanishTT that does have voice files, and the woman who speaks the sentences is very clear and I enjoy her accent. Right now I do not remember whether she is western hemispere or Iberian.

One thing about this program that bugged me is that they seem to translate English that to me at least is a compound tense- "I have worked" as a simple sense in Spanish. Don't remmeber for sure, but I think they choose preterite which just seems dead wrong. But currently I have no one to ask, so I am not sure.

I have one more that is good, but short. I think all of these are free. This last one is called foto español. Excellent sound files, some American and others peninsular.

I am interested in more, especially some larger ones. They do not have to be free either.

Ha

haha said:
Don't know about the I-Pad, but I use the Kindle lying on my back all the time and I have never noticed the weight.

Maybe you need to go a little harder during your workouts?

Ha

That's interesting. My forearms ache after only a minute of holding the iPod up. Probably something wrong with me.

As if I would actually pay that kind of money for something I don't need:nonono:

No iPad for me. I don't even own a smartphone,ipod,mp3,kindle or any of the other "must have" gadgets. Although I must admit if I made the money most of you make, i'd own most of those items.

I bought an Ipad2 a couple of weeks ago. Love it. I got the 16 gig with 3G. So far, I use it for reading books, net surfing, and reading the ER forum. I have an iPod touch and in many ways this is a big iPod touch. That said, I like my iPod touch and this larger size and most of all the 3G addresses some of the issues I had with the iPod touch.

I have never used a kindle or nook, so I can't compare there, but I really like the iBook app.

Looks like I am an old dinosaur here. NO Ipad or Ipod for me. I only have a smartphone and a PC. I find I exist and keep in touch with things pretty well. I still love to hold a book or magazine to read. I guess I can afford to buy these gadgets but have no inclination to buy them at all.

I just read in the news that one person sold one of his kidneys to buy an Ipad! Shocking!

Katsmeow said:
Do you use an app for that? If so, which one?

Back in the day (i.e. before kids) we used to go to bridge tournaments all the time but got out of once we had kids and had limited time. Now, it would be nice to get back into it.

Yes the app is iBridgeBaron. I don't remember the cost put I practice frequently so it was worth every penny.

I don't do cellphones. (I'm retired, damnit. No more office tethers!)
I'd love to read the study of what turns people away from cell phones.

I have to admit, though, I get a chuckle out of Verizon's whining when I don't promptly load more money into the phone.

I bought an iPad 1 a couple months back, when my emloyer offered a deal. $250 for the 32 gig wifi only. I love it and it has rarely left my side since. I have a galaxy tab 7" android tablet, a 15" laptop, a netbook, an iPod touch, and an android smartphone. The iPod touch has now been sold, and replaced with the current generation iPod nano. Between the smartphone and the iPad, the touch only got used for running music, and the nano was a better device for that.

iPad gets used mostly for surfing (typing on it now) but also for e-reading, Netflix, and a bunch of random aps.

Not a hint of buyer's remorse ever. The iPad is a wonderful device, and if mine were lost/stolen/destroyed today, I would likely have a replacement tomorrow.

One note, I have never regretted not getting the 64 gig model.

Yes the app is iBridgeBaron. I don't remember the cost put I practice frequently so it was worth every penny.
It appears to be free. I just downloaded it; it has been years since I played bridge but I think I would enjoy starting again.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom