Songs: One Hit Wonders

OK, I lied. I have about 5-6 I'd like to include, but I'll add just one more (maybe). Jimmy Buffett's version is great too, but he's hardly a one hit wonder candidate.
Everclear~ Brown Eyed Girl - YouTube
Everclear may be a one-hit wonder band, but surely it'd be for "Santa Monica", wouldn't it?

I don't see how you could call Randy Newman a one-hit wonder either. I was he was, because I don't care for his music very much.

One-hit wonders that I haven't seen mentioned yet that I like or liked once upon a time:

I Wanna Be Rich by Calloway
The Middle by Jimmy Eat World
100 Years by Five For Fighting
In A Big Country by Big Country
Cars by Gary Numan
Venus by Shocking Blue
Tainted Love by Soft Cell
All Right Now by Free
No Rain by Blind Melon
Tubthumping by Chupawamba
For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield
What if God was One of Us by Joan Osbourne

Everclear may be a one-hit wonder band, but surely it'd be for "Santa Monica", wouldn't it?

I don't see how you could call Randy Newman a one-hit wonder either. I was he was, because I don't care for his music very much.
May well be, and there are at least a half dozen Everclear songs I really like. OTOH, some of the songs other posters have contributed wouldn't qualify as "hits", even of the 1-hit wonder type. I'd be surprised if most people would even recognize some of these songs or artists, I'd think that would be a prerequisite...except we're just having a little fun here anyway. :flowers:

So popular it's posted twice in the same thread :)

My bad... I did not read the whole thread...

Edit to add: OUCH... it was the OP!!!

Still, I like it so why not twice:confused:

Last edited:
This cheesy Toni Basil song (Mickey) always finds it way to the top of any one-hit wonder list. I did not realize until I just looked it up.....Basil was 39 years old when she did this song (in 1982) so she will turn 70, yes SEVENTY next year!

Don't think she can be called a one hit wonder, she's got 3 top 100 songs in the US charts and 5 in the US Dance charts. For US Dance, she had 4 songs in the top 8!

"Mickey" 1, 3 (rank - US, then US Dance)
"Shoppin' From A to Z" 77, 4
"Street Beat" NR, 63
"Over My Head" 81, 4
"Suspense" NR, 8

I didn't know this was a contest, with rules and such...

I didn't know this was a contest, with rules and such...
Well, without any restrictions, it would be - "post a song, any song", wouldn't it? :nonono:

OK, one of my all-time favorite "One Hit Wonders" (hit #10, wiki says), as it also has a double 'award' - it's on those 'misheard lyrics' lists.

Friend & Lover - Reach Out Of The Darkness - YouTube

I remember this song on AM hit radio (I don't think they ever played anything below #40 at the time) - I was still in elementary school.

Funny thing is, I later ended up attending many concerts in small clubs by the male singer/composer - Jim Post. He is a fantastic contemporary folk singer and storyteller, and has also done a number of 'one man shows', based on Mark Twain, Steve Goodman (a fellow folksinger), and others. He lives in Galena IL, and is still active. Quite an artist. This hit has a pretty funky bass groove, very different from his folk songs.

Jim Post Modest Minstrel & Entertainer

Oh, the 'misheard lyric' was - in place of "Reach Out of the Darkness", many of us heard - "Freak Out in the Garden" - hey, it was the 60's! And we were listening on scratchy little tinny AM radios!

Friend and Lover - Reach Out Of The Darkness Funny Misheard Lyrics

Wiki does say they had a follow up minor hit (#86), but I don't recall ever hearing it. And it is a very positive song, in that 60's kind of way:

FRIEND AND LOVER lyrics - Reach Out Of The Darkness
I think it's so groovy now
That people are finally getting together
I thinks it's so wonderful and how
That people are finally getting together
Reach out in the darkness
And you may find a friend
I knew a man that I did not care for
And then one day this man gave me a call
We sat and talked about things on our mind
And now this man he is a friend of mine
Don't be afraid of love
Don't be afraid, don't be afraid to love
Everybody needs a little love
Everybody needs somebody
That they can be thinking of

-ERD50

One-hit wonders that I haven't seen mentioned yet that I like or liked once upon a time:

I Wanna Be Rich by Calloway
The Middle by Jimmy Eat World
100 Years by Five For Fighting
In A Big Country by Big Country
Cars by Gary Numan
Venus by Shocking Blue
Tainted Love by Soft Cell
All Right Now by Free
No Rain by Blind Melon
Tubthumping by Chupawamba
For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield
What if God was One of Us by Joan Osbourne

Oh yeah. I remember Soft Cell. Tainted Love by Soft Cell - YouTube

Well, without any restrictions, it would be - "post a song, any song", wouldn't it? :nonono:
And yet that's what it's become in part...:nonono:

OK, one of my all-time favorite "One Hit Wonders" (hit #10, wiki says), as it also has a double 'award' - it's on those 'misheard lyrics' lists.

Friend & Lover - Reach Out Of The Darkness - YouTube

I remember this song on AM hit radio (I don't think they ever played anything below #40 at the time) - I was still in elementary school.

Funny thing is, I later ended up attending many concerts in small clubs by the male singer/composer - Jim Post. He is a fantastic contemporary folk singer and storyteller, and has also done a number of 'one man shows', based on Mark Twain, Steve Goodman (a fellow folksinger), and others. He lives in Galena IL, and is still active. Quite an artist. This hit has a pretty funky bass groove, very different from his folk songs.

Jim Post Modest Minstrel & Entertainer

Oh, the 'misheard lyric' was - in place of "Reach Out of the Darkness", many of us heard - "Freak Out in the Garden" - hey, it was the 60's! And we were listening on scratchy little tinny AM radios!

Friend and Lover - Reach Out Of The Darkness Funny Misheard Lyrics

Wiki does say they had a follow up minor hit (#86), but I don't recall ever hearing it. And it is a very positive song, in that 60's kind of way:

FRIEND AND LOVER lyrics - Reach Out Of The Darkness

-ERD50

Oh those retched lyrics. Is that the song the guy on the stairs was singing in Animal House when John Belushi smashed his guitar!

Wildflower by Skylark
Jackie Blue by The Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Magic by Pilot
Magnet and Steel by Walter Egan
It"s So Nice To Be With You by Gallery
I'm Not In Love by 10CC
***** Pocus by Focus
Incense And Peppermint by Strawberry AlarmClock
Autobaun Kraftwert
This thread is really bringing back memories.Thanks

Back
Top Bottom