spousal benefits

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I started collecting social security at full retirement age. my spouse started collecting at 62. Can she apply for spousal benefits at her full retirement age? Her benefit is smaller than mine. If you need any other information please ask. I was looking around the social security site and their answers were pretty vague. she did work and have enough credits for her own SS benefit.

This question looms all over the place on this forum. We went to our CPA with specific questions regarding SS as we're trying to decide how to approach it. Our CPA said the only way you'll get a straight and truthful answer is to sit down with a SS representative. His story is: He and his wife waited until after FRA because they enjoyed their jobs, she was a nurse and he a CPA and still is. When they decided to go ahead and start collecting, the SS Administrator said you will get all the back SS you are owed in one lump sum. And they did. His advice to us is every year is different regarding specific SS rules. The only way to get an answer is through a SS Admin at the time you decide to collect. At that time they will guide you to the most beneficial way to collect.

Our CPA has many clients and he said stories are different about SS. After reading all the different opinions and calculations and so on here, I figure the only way to get the true and full picture is through a SS administrator.

The quick answer is yes, she can apply. But the reduction in benefits she took at 62 will follow her the rest of her life. The only way she can collect spousal benefits at 66 is if her spousal benefits at that time, to include the benefit reduction due to claiming at 62, are larger than what she is receiving on her own. A lot has changed with SS in the last few years and I am pretty sure this is the correct answer for your situation at this time. It's almost impossible to undo anything now, but there may be exceptions. I agree that you're best course of action is to make an appointment with SS and speak face to face with an expert.

Also, under the 2016 reforms, She will automatically get the higher of the two SS payments. But yeah, the haircut is forever.

Back
Top Bottom