Spring has Sprung!

Friday while I was out clearing out the gardens, there were even a couple of bees flying around checking out their future dining areas!

And yesterday when I was coming back home from a neighboring town, I stopped at Buffalo Rock State Park, and saw a couple dozen robins, as well as about 30 white pelicans........and of course the 2 buffalo that live there year 'round. :D

So Freebid,
Speaking of spring and warm weather, I've always equated owning a rag top in the great white north kinda like having a fireplace in a Florida Condo? Very sweet car though. Are you a "coat on with the top down when it's 55 and sunny" type?

Sounds like you are destined to migrate south
thank you. she is stabled in my garage all winter. no road salt ever on that baby.
actually, once the April rains wash away all the salt, out she comes. and with the windows up and heat on full blast, what cold? you should see the looks i get. LOL
i can drive it all months except late November to mid April. :)
Possibility of DH2B getting a transfer south is always there...and i would go in a heartbeat. i'm a native NYer. but i do like a new challenge. floods and hurricanes and tornadoes would be my only problem to adjust to.

Yesterday I picked up the trash that blew into the yard over the winter.

Saw the first crocus bloom.

this is my first photo paste op, so i hope it works.:)

this is Lake Ontario, just north of Pulaski NY. I went for a drive there today on a sunny day :) and just had to go see the great lake.
the white stuff in the foreground is not snow that fell from the sky. it is ice sheets pushed right up against the shore. almost glacier-like.
check out the volcano cone shaped opening in the right side of the photo.
the deep blue and white floaty stuff is the open water on the lake and ice chunks.

Attachments

• LkOntario-PulaskiNY-Mar1708.jpg
    LkOntario-PulaskiNY-Mar1708.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 67
Mid 60's today; the first really gorgeous day we have had here for about 4 months! The Mid-Atlantic is a real downer in the winter.

The daffodils and crocus are blooming.

Life is good!

I remember the old days when I lived in Indiana. Mid-March was the usually the first time in the year when you step outdoors without a coat, feel the spring sun, and see the buds on trees and bushes. You knew that winter wasn't over and would get in a few more licks, but there was still that feeling of hope that comes with that first warm (mid 60's degree range) day of the spring season.

Spent the day at Ayrshire Farm. This is a beautiful, 800 acre estate in the middle of Virginia horse country and sure was a great way to welcome spring. The flowers are blooming and several of the horses have new baby colts. The owner of the place hosts various events supporting issues related to the humane treatment of animals. We heard a fascinating presentation from the Washington Humane Society regarding pit bull dogs, which as become an enormous problem, particularly in urban areas such as Washington, DC. The animal shelter I volunteer at is struggling to find ways to deal with pit bulls in a humane manner. The problem is, so many of them have been bred and trained to fight and simply cannot be adopted as family pets. It is tragic because this particular breed of dog and also be very loving, intelligent, and devoted to people. Remember Petey – dog from the Little Rascals? He was a pit.

Attachments

• Ayrshire Farm.jpg
    Ayrshire Farm.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 47
My daffs & crocus aren't quite poking through the mulch yet....but will be in the next few days....it's a late spring here.

I have a few things starting to peak out of the ground, and the shrubs and trees are loaded with buds ready to burst forth!

UPDATE:

The Crocus & Daffodils have started coming up! YEA!!! Also there are a lot of other plants just starting to poke up out of the ground now!

Plus, all sorts of birds are starting to reappear in the yard and gardens, and are all quite happy and content to cr@p on my car again! :rolleyes:

It's spring or whatever in Florida and the snowbirds are starting to leave ! My favorite time of year !

It's spring or whatever in Florida and the snowbirds are starting to leave ! My favorite time of year !

The replacements are on their way........My neighbor's family of 4 (and their Shelty), just left this afternoon for Florida's Gulf coast....but they'll just be short term snowbirds...only staying a week or two. ;)

Yea spring has sprung...unless you live in the upper midwest. We're going to get up to a foot of snow tomorrow. Even without that snowfall the pile of snow by the driveway is still over 5 ft high. We might get spring by early May. According to the news we had no snow on the ground and 70 degrees this week last year instead of the 2 ft of snow on the ground and 35 degrees we have now. This winter just won't end.

Yea spring has sprung...unless you live in the upper midwest. We're going to get up to a foot of snow tomorrow. Even without that snowfall the pile of snow by the driveway is still over 5 ft high. We might get spring by early May. According to the news we had no snow on the ground and 70 degrees this week last year instead of the 2 ft of snow on the ground and 35 degrees we have now. This winter just won't end.
or upstate NY. the good news is we just get a few inches of snow vs the lake effect dump. a lot has melted. YAY!

my condolences on your upcoming blizzard. :(

yesterday came the first blackbird and today i've counted at least five already but i can hear the flock up on the trees. three in the front garden assured me as i walked past them this morning that they are pretty sure this is their property and not mine.

also today saw the arrival of at least two finches. one grey the other yellow. one of, i assume, a pair of orioles (gorgeous) who have been spring & summering here for about five years now and the guy in the picture who i've yet to identify. i call them grey ghosts as i never see them in the garden but only twice a day at the birdbath, at noon and again at five. they've been coming here for about three years now.

love the finches, they come in all sorts of colors. different shades of blues and greens, yellow, mottled; they are like fast but fat butterflies. they are so tiny it is hard to call them birds. i can tell they do a very good job eating the garden insects because they are so busy all day.

anyway, here is a picture of my grey ghost if anyone can identify it (usually they are pure grey but this one has a dark patch on his head)....

img_632076_0_f5ec5016b0409f9809b2eedec9d311dd.jpg

img_632076_1_dddcd2a73b58880c21fbadf555347f11.jpg

Yea spring has sprung...unless you live in the upper midwest. We're going to get up to a foot of snow tomorrow. Even without that snowfall the pile of snow by the driveway is still over 5 ft high. We might get spring by early May.

Well, "tomorrow" is here.....I figured we'd get a little dusting of snow, but all we've had is a couple of sprinkles of rain. I did see on the Chi. news a few minutes ago that northern portions of IL, and WI have had a heaping helping of the white stuff though! The sun has been shining here for a couple of hours now, and any chance for accumulating snow, has now been tossed out the window completely.....YEA!!! :D

My sympathies go out to those of you who got more of that white stuff today.....Really!....No kidding!....I mean it! >:D

:D

Back
Top Bottom