Spring has Sprung!

amy5708

Recycles dryer sheets
Mid 60's today; the first really gorgeous day we have had here for about 4 months! The Mid-Atlantic is a real downer in the winter.

The daffodils and crocus are blooming.

Life is good!

91 here -- hottest day of the year. One of the trees in the front yard (just outside the office window) is in full bloom and the bees are in bee heaven about it. They're buzzing around all over the tree, probably a couple hundred of them.

91 here -- hottest day of the year. One of the trees in the front yard (just outside the office window) is in full bloom and the bees are in bee heaven about it. They're buzzing around all over the tree, probably a couple hundred of them.

91? Wow. 75 here in central MS. Just finished a round of golf. Life is good. :)

supposed to go up to the high 80s over the weekend then back down to the 70s after that. gotta hold onto winter as long as we can.

Sigh...... Spokane, Washington. Winter storm warning tonight for up to 4 " of wet snow with snow level above 2,000 feet. On the plus side, I did hear meadowlarks and robins singing yesterday. Hope the snow doesn't smother them tonight.

Hank

I saw my first robin this morning, just west of Chicago!

Saw the first robin this morning. Grackles, red wing blackbirds, and rufous-sided towhee showed up within last two weeks (I think they were unhappy with 15" of snow). Cardinals start singing at dawn; also hear songs from chickadees, doves, blue jays, and finches.

Still too early to work garden.

took these pics yesterday. the bird bath is usually pretty busy between 4 & 5 o'clock. i get a bunch of blue jays late spring and thru the summer but this is the first year here that these guys stayed through the winter. just one family of them. guess they didn't pack in time to leave or something.

the cardinal family came back early this year. they (or their offspring) have been coming back every year for about 8 years now. they take off right after summer and usually don't come back until late spring with the jays, but this year they came back early february.

i get a flock of black birds every summer who are very smart and aggressive. my neighbor feeds them bread which they dunk into my bird bath, very annoying. the bird bath pecking order starts with red headed woodpeckers at the top. then the blackbirds, the jays and cardinals and finches at the bottom. when the finches come around i lower the water level in the bird bath so they can enjoy it too.

i also get owls but i rarely see them at the birdbath. though they tend to like lower branches and often i'll be gardening, look up and i've got an owl three feet from my face.

later summer, i guess that would be autumn, i get big birds of prey on their migration. not sure if they are falcons or what but they are big, fast and beautiful. that's when all the other birds take off for winter. all but the morning doves which become the falcon's dinner.

year round we have mocking birds which can be aggressive if you get near their nest but they are really very comical and their song can't be beat.

img_628933_0_90f8b7e26381370a8dd19ff929b1b9c4.jpg

img_628933_1_f35e5068a2359a5d9e912fd6060b6da6.jpg

Last edited:
In upstate New York that's a heat wave !
hey, i heard that! LOL

hey, moemg, in another thread where you posted a pic of your SO's boat, i asked if you adopted. what I forgot to tell you is I have 25 yrs experience as a boater, mostly small craft, some sailing and marine radio comm. let me prove it...
"red right returning"
the pointy end is the bow, the flat end is the stern. there in no rope at sea, only lines.
i can tell my port from my starboard.
no, no, your other port.
Pan Pan, we need assistance. Some nut from NY is swimming towards us.

i'm putting my best foot forward, trying not to sound TOO desperate to find a virtual excuse to go to warm weather.

just kidding, BTW. that boat is a beauty!

Bumping up on 70 in DC. DW and I took a long bike ride - nice.

Almost 70 F here. Gave serious thought to taking the boat out on the river but the water temp is still below 50, my minimum. Almost there, but not quite yet.

Mid 60's today; the first really gorgeous day we have had here for about 4 months! The Mid-Atlantic is a real downer in the winter.

The daffodils and crocus are blooming.

Life is good!

It was 58° on Wednesday, 64° yesterday, and 61° today....but only supposed to get to the mid-40s tomorrow......but sunny! :D

My daffs & crocus aren't quite poking through the mulch yet....but will be in the next few days....it's a late spring here.

I saw my first robin this morning, just west of Chicago!

Saw the first robin this morning. Grackles, red wing blackbirds, and rufous-sided towhee showed up within last two weeks (I think they were unhappy with 15" of snow). Cardinals start singing at dawn; also hear songs from chickadees, doves, blue jays, and finches.

Still too early to work garden.

I saw my first robin yesterday morning! YEA!!! Most of the rest of the birds have been here all winter devouring oodles of seed from my feeders....of course no robins, wrens, or hummingbirds....but most everything else! We've had 3 pairs of cardinals and 15 mourning doves here at the feeders all winter, along with several varieties of woodpeckers.

I've been out cleaning up the gardens for the past 3 days, and hope to get finished this weekend. I have a few things starting to peak out of the ground, and the shrubs and trees are loaded with buds ready to burst forth!

So as amy said....Spring has sprung! Yee-haa!
jumping-smiley-014.gif

Cardinals are singing in the morning in MI, a sure sign of spring.

Spring sprang a while ago here. I've already had to cut the lawn three times. A little chilly today (only 65) but we're back into the 70's by tomorrow.

that pic even made me feel better. TY!

where and when did that happen? :eek:

It happened from Toronto to New Brunswick last weekend March 8 and 9.
All you guys posting how spring has sprung where you are but for some reason i could never figure out its the rare person on this forum who lists their location under their user name so i have no way of knowing where these joyous spring events are happening,somewhere on Earth i guess.

Well Spring is getting closer. It was in the 50s yesterday but snowed 6 inches today. More snow tomorrow...more snow tomorrow night and then I hope it quits....I have the get the motorhome out of storage, washed, cleaned inside, restocked, maintainted and add a few bells and whistles before we leave Tuesday am for a few days of fun and sun in Southern Utah.

I refuse to shovel the driveway...nature will have to deal with it while we are gone. The motorhome will crush a fair amount of it and the rest will quickly melt when I fire up the Aqua Hot deisel heater and 10kw generator.

The usual birds are back...Mexican Blue Jay. Robins, nuthattches, Magpies, hawks and the occasional one I can't ID yet.

The deer are still scratting in the year where the 5 foot snow pile is melting looking for grass. The doors are looking for the deer. The birds are telling the dogs to be cool. Even the flies are out. Yuck. Noting like see a flock of flies buzzing around looking for doggie left overs in the yard.

Where we are going for a week it will be sunny and bright with temps. in the mid to upper 70s. and lows in the 40s. We can handle that.

So Freebid,
Speaking of spring and warm weather, I've always equated owning a rag top in the great white north kinda like having a fireplace in a Florida Condo? Very sweet car though. Are you a "coat on with the top down when it's 55 and sunny" type?

Sounds like you are destined to migrate south

Back
Top Bottom