Star Wars - are you going to see it?

Already bought my tickets, we're going Sunday afternoon.

I will never understand why people think this series is life altering...
FWIW: I suspect it is resonance with what has evolved into the principles by which the Jedi depicted in the series abide:
JEDI BELIEVE:
  • In the Force, and in the inherent worth of all life within it.
  • In the sanctity of the human person. We oppose the use of torture and cruel or unusual punishment, including the death penalty.
  • In a society governed by laws grounded in reason and compassion, not in fear or prejudice.
  • In a society that does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or circumstances of birth such as gender, ethnicity and national origin.
  • In the ethic of reciprocity, and how moral concepts are not absolute but vary by culture, religion and over time.
  • In the positive influence of spiritual growth and awareness on society.
  • In the importance of freedom of conscience and self-determination within religious, political and other structures.
  • In the separation of religion and government and the freedoms of speech, association and expression.
https://www.templeofthejediorder.org/doctrine-of-the-order
With those first four words removed, it's eerily parallel to the principles of my own religion - the highlighted phrases seem to have been lifted directly from those of the UUA. Such pop culture conceptions* of such a belief system serve to many folks walking into our churches for the first time as the door that opened their minds to some way to believe other than that of the religion of their birth. Lucas describes himself as "Buddhist Methodist," and so the parallel between the beliefs of the Jedi and our religion is not surprising, given that our principles reflect the integration of Eastern philosophies with Judeo-Christian philosophies.

_____
* The Jedi principles aren't the only one fictional set of principles that are so parallel to those of my own religion.

Last edited:
FWIW: I suspect it is resonance with what has evolved into the principles by which the Jedi depicted in the series abide

Hmmmm, interesting thought. You might be right. It would explain why my friends (most of whom are Catholic, Mormon, or Protestant) find it life altering but I do not. I wasn't raised in a religion and what you quoted is very close to what I believe, so it wouldn't be life altering to me. It would just be normal, and therefore unremarkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I will see it eventually. The movie companies demand a theater take the film for a minimum of 4 weeks to get it now. The theater in a town of 1500 people can't afford to do that so we will get to see it sometime in January.

Just got my reserved seats at the theater with super comfy recliner seats for a 3D showing on Monday Morning.
We have two theaters nearby with this type of seating. One serves food and drink, chairside. Both you can purchase alcoholic beverages for consumption during the film. Best part, though, is you don't have to go early to get a decent seat.

No interest in seeing it myself. May watch once it comes on HBO.

For the rest of the people, go see it and help Disney recoup the costs so the stock price goes up :LOL:

No interest in the Star Trek movies, but I liked the Star Trek TV series. And the movie Dune and Space Odyssey 2000.

I saw it with my wife and daughter. I'm a committed Star Wars fan, my wife puts up with me, and my daughter wanted to go mainly because it was so hyped and current.

Verdict: 3-for-3 loved the movie. Jabbering away on the way out about plot, where it goes from here, etc. Like the Star Trek reboot, they did a great job of honoring the originals while updating it and relaunching the franchise with new characters, etc. I was worried BB8 would be the jar jar binx of the droid world. Nope. Great character and addition to the Star Wars droid universe.

The prequels sucked rotten eggs. This is the movie fans have waited 30+ years for. The only thing that would have made this movie better is if jar jar binx was impaled on a lightsaber I'm immediately after the credits. No such luck, but happily jar jar and all the other crap prequel characters are nowhere to be seen.

Harrison Ford turned in wretched performances in two recent flicks (Ender's Game and I forget the other). I think this is beating a dead horse. I may watch it on cable when it comes around. Maybe not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

The other was Cowboys and Aliens.

I can't tell how much is crappy script or crappy acting or crappy directing. Disappointing after his earlier work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Nyet, no, nem, nein etc.

I will likely see it several times...it is getting rave reviews. And apparently even Harrison Ford seems rejuvenated.

I was 5 years old when to original came out in 1977. The franchaise holds some powerful nostalgic feelings for me.

I'm the same age. I'm seeing it tonight in the fancy theater with recliners and side tables for their pretty decent food.

The only drawback is that since its opening weekend, we had to get tickets to the 9:45 pm show, which will have me up past my bedtime.

That would have been a plus when I was five, but now I'm worried I'll be tired tomorrow. :)

Eventually. I might wait for it to come out on pay-per-view and watch it here at home. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but I remember seeing the original back in the 70's with my then boyfriend (later husband) and he loved it.

Just got back from seeing it 3D IMAX. Happy we went. Happy we saw it where we did. The jokers at the theater didn't turn the lights off when the previews played. Somebody had to run to the lobby to tell them to turn the lights off when the movie started. Sheesh! Harrison Ford did a good job in this film.

The ending was very open ended with many possible future directions. Way more humor, with jokes playing off the original film. I really like the new characters. The genders have equalized in the intervening 38 years between the first movie and now.

I will say no more.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I saw it with my wife and daughter. I'm a committed Star Wars fan, my wife puts up with me, and my daughter wanted to go mainly because it was so hyped and current.

Verdict: 3-for-3 loved the movie. Jabbering away on the way out about plot, where it goes from here, etc. Like the Star Trek reboot, they did a great job of honoring the originals while updating it and relaunching the franchise with new characters, etc. I was worried BB8 would be the jar jar binx of the droid world. Nope. Great character and addition to the Star Wars droid universe.

The prequels sucked rotten eggs. This is the movie fans have waited 30+ years for. The only thing that would have made this movie better is if jar jar binx was impaled on a lightsaber I'm immediately after the credits. No such luck, but happily jar jar and all the other crap prequel characters are nowhere to be seen.

OK, I'm going to see it.

When I saw episode 1, I was so peeved by Jar Jar that I swore off the other movies. You give me "A New Hope"

Was deceived by reports that it was a good movie. Lots of nostalgia for fans of the previous films. Surprisingly funny in parts. Mostly seems intended to serve as a series reboot for future films to develop a new story line. Good special effects, but that's more or less expected by now. Nothing new or interesting in the plot. Should have waited to see it on video.

Wow

Saw it this morning with my daughter. Brilliantly made spectacle in the spirit of the original Episode IV but fully up to date. We are extremely hard markers for all things science fiction (extensive knowledge and appreciation of this specific and related genres). We gave it a figurative 95% rating.

No question in my mind that it will break all box office records and be the #1 movie of all time very shortly.

I was going to wait a week or two but my Brother called me yesterday to ask if I wanted him to buy me a ticket for today since he was going to get one for himself anyway. So I had him buy me a ticket and I just got back from the showing. I was about to pay him for it when he said, "it's on me". I said, "ok". I don't turn down free stuff. The movie was better than expected. If you are a fan of the original 3 then you will very likely like this one. I wish I didn't have to wait 18+ months for the next one.

Back
Top Bottom