Star Wars - are you going to see it?

Not likely to see it until it's on video. Too much hype turned me off. It will be in my to-watch queue along with various new movies.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Not likely to see it until it's on video. Too much hype turned me off. It will be in my to-watch queue along with various new movies.

party pooper... me too. I'll likely borrow it from the library when it gets there.

I checked the local showings.

Over $19 for the IMAX 3D viewing.

I can wait and I don't care about 3D.

Appears that I am in the minority. I saw it last night and thought it was terrible - on par with the phantom menace.

I guess my expectations were improper. I didn't expect to see a remake of the 77 Star Wars. Also the bad guy was a bit of a wimp.

On the positive side my wife loved it.

Saw it a couple days ago because my wife really wanted to see it. Photoguy expresses our feelings exactly. I was personally bored, felt like I was seeing a remake. Oh, and 3D isn't worth watching....much prefer to see in 2D. Even my wife felt the 3D was not well done and just distracting.

Saw it earlier today. As a child of the late 70's/early 80's that felt very much like injecting some sort of nostalgic cocktail drug directly into my veins.

Will see it again...probably more than once.

We went to see it as a family yesterday. (4 adults) Reserved seats, 3D, excellent. But we are a family of geeky nerds :)

Last edited:
Yesterday our sons came over for dinner. Our older son, 31, likes to collect old electronics and other junk from thrift stores. He has a couple of laser disc players. He brought over his best player (it automatically switches to the other side of the disc) and his collection of Star Wars laser discs. We watched the original (Episode IV - A New Hope) and then the next one (Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back). This was fun!

I had seen the original in the theater in 1977 and I know I saw the next one too, but it was a long time ago.

I fell asleep about halfway through The Empire Strikes Back, partially because I was in the Lazy Boy recliner and partially because the other son, 28, brought over a bottle of scotch.

Today we have tickets for the new Star Wars movie in 2D.

Last edited:
Cheapest around here is $12 and change.

There is one old theater which will sometimes get the big movies well after they have the big release and they have cheap matinees. But that's usually a couple of months after release.

Saw it. Was ok - Only really saw one other.

I guess they had to do some killing off since the originals may not be around enough for another movie..

Walked out of the the first Star Wars after about 45 minutes, and haven't had any interest in any of the pre/sequels. So not going. But I realize many people are huge fans.

Not a Star Trek fan either.

The last time we saw a Star Wars movie in the theater, we had to stick Gummy Bears in our ears. That's the last time we watched a movie in the theater. Just too damn loud.

Our home AV setup is really good now and we're happy watching stuff there. Plus I can watch in small pieces and rewind instead of the whole thing at once.

Just got in from seeing it with the family. Ten tickets to IMAX 3D so not inexpensive to say the least. I thought that they did quite a good job with it. Certainly better than they did with episodes 1-3.

Last edited:
When I saw the original; the wording panning through the cosmos, the star ship shooting it's lasers in such clear color lights, then the HUGE cruiser battle star ship chasing what I could appreciate to be the smaller first ship,,,, well,,, my mind was BLOWN!!

I could not believe the realism that was unfolding on the screen. I was 21 years old.

When I went to see this, how shall we call it, remake of the original, I felt pretty let down. The only lesson of the story was everything just repeats itself, so why bother? Seems that's what Luke himself thought of the movie. None of the technology was newer, better, more sophisticated. Just rehashed in bigger.

I fell asleep during parts of it, it was that predictable of what was coming if you at all paid attention in the original movie.

Oh, and Princess Leia did not age gracefully. The poor old dear. Han has got to be thinking to himself; what was I thinking??!!! Ha!

[...]I don't like to go to movie theaters any more, because the volume is so painfully high. I could wear ear plugs, but I figure, why should I HAVE to wear them just to see a movie in a theater? [...]
The last time we saw a Star Wars movie in the theater, we had to stick Gummy Bears in our ears. That's the last time we watched a movie in the theater. Just too damn loud.

+1000000000

I wish I had thought of gummy bears! :2funny:

To expand on my previous response, the last time we went to the threater we asked the theater to turn down the volume. They did, but only the tiniest amount and IIRC we eventually had to leave in the middle of the show and demand a refund. And, that wasn't the first time this happened; I can hardly remember going to a theater when the volume was less than painful (to the point of actual nausea from the pain). I'm DONE with theaters. Never again.

Last edited:
Oh, and Princess Leia did not age gracefully. The poor old dear. Han has got to be thinking to himself; what was I thinking??!!! Ha!

I disagree - I thought Carrie Fischer looked great for her age. She's not a 20-something anymore - nor is her character. Did you have the same reaction about Harrison Ford?

I disagree - I thought Carrie Fischer looked great for her age. She's not a 20-something anymore - nor is her character. Did you have the same reaction about Harrison Ford?

Well, her face barely moved when she talked. My reaction was she had too much "work done". I see this a lot with both male and female actors and politicians.

Of course not. Hollywood male actors are allowed to look their age. They still get decent roles. Only the other kind - the non-males- are required to always look like they're just barely adults.

Harrison Ford is 73 years old. Carrie Fischer is 59 years old. I thinks she looked older than him in this movie.

Sorry if someone is offended by this, it's my opinion and I don't give it much thought towards political correctness.

Then;
images

Now;
images

Then;
star-wars-episode-7-harrison-ford.jpg

Now;
hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Harrison Ford is 73 years old. Carrie Fischer is 59 years old. I thinks she looked older than him in this movie.

Sorry if someone is offended by this, it's my opinion and I don't give it much thought towards political correctness.

Then;
images

Now;
images

Then;
star-wars-episode-7-harrison-ford.jpg

Now;
hqdefault.jpg

So, to sum up:

1. They are both 39 years older now
2. They both have grey hair
3. They both have a bunch of wrinkles
4. They both look their current age(s)

So, to sum up:

1. They are both 39 years older now
2. They both have grey hair
3. They both have a bunch of wrinkles
4. They both look their current age(s)

5. I (W2R) look older than either of them so I think they both look great.

Carrie has the same age as my wife. And my wife looks much younger. That's all I have to say about that.

Last edited:
Carrie has the same age as my wife. And my wife looks much younger. That's all I have to say about that.

Not to derail the thread, but she admits to not taking care of herself over the past 35 years. This may have to do withe fact that she hasn't acted much during that time. Harrison Ford has acted a fair amount, and even prior to this film was still considered a Hollywood A lister. Mark Hamill is in the same boat as Carrie Fisher and doesn't look his age either (the beard doesn't help).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...Star-Wars-VII-dropped-substantial-weight.html

+1000000000

I wish I had thought of gummy bears! :2funny:

To expand on my previous response, the last time we went to the threater we asked the theater to turn down the volume. They did, but only the tiniest amount and IIRC we eventually had to leave in the middle of the show and demand a refund. And, that wasn't the first time this happened; I can hardly remember going to a theater when the volume was less than painful (to the point of actual nausea from the pain). I'm DONE with theaters. Never again.

We were so frustrated, because we had left our ear plugs in the car. The matinee theater was almost empty, but they hadn't adjusted the sound down to compensate. We seriously considered leaving. Then DH asked - "Hey, Audrey, do you still have those gummy bears?". They worked well enough to allow us to enjoy the rest of the movie. Just sticky ears afterwards.

This was Revenge of the Sith in 2005. So that is the last time in a movie theater for us. I liked the movie because we were interested in the Darth Vader story, we like Natalie Portman and enjoyed the actor playing the young Darth Vader.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom